1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall on the Ben Simmons Situation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cutty312, Sep 22, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the master of fluff pieces

Jontro likes this.
  2. Cutty312

Cutty312 Member

I would say he fits us well... 5 years isnt too much of an age difference...

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I have a sneaky feeling the NBA and players union may be insisting behind closed
    doors that both teams get something done with Wall and Simmons.

Other teams are probably saying, that Houston's and Philly's problem. Making agent
    for both players (same guy) try to get Houston/Philly as fall back options.

It's becoming really bad PR for players not to honor their contractual agreements.
    Soon the owners are going to negate their side of contracts.

Chaos ensues

topfive, Cutty312, RasaqBoi and 2 others like this.
  4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

WTF are you even talking about? Neither of these guys are leaving because they want to go to championship contenders. Wall wants out because the Rockets wanted him to sit on the bench behind KPJ and he doesn't really want to be on a rebuilding team at this stage in his career. Ben Simmons wants out because the second their series ended both his coach and his star teammate completely through him under the bus and the entire city of Philadelphia has been demanding his blood.

topfive, Cutty312 and D-rock like this.
  5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I think he’s clearly referring to Wall who does in fact want to go to a contender — or at least a competing team. That’s the whole “doesn’t want to play on a rebuilding team.” But also, he doesn’t want to play off the bench? Sorry? But boohoo. That’s a coach’s decision. I don’t think there is anything wrong with Wall requesting to be traded. But if the Rockets wanted him to play and he refused, that’s a problem. If he refused to come to training camp that would be a problem.

Simmons, by your own admission, is demanding a trade/holding out because his feelings are hurt. He should take it up internally. This is exactly what OP was saying. Wall wants to contend/compete at least. Simmons (I’m sure wants/prefers to compete) wants to get away from his team because they embarrassed him. Exactly what OP said…

ilias likes this.
  6. Williamson

The story with the Rockets is that it is mutual and that he will report for camp, he just won't play. The Rockets are likely allowing him this story so he can save face. And why would anyone be mad that Wall wants out anyway? Is there really anyone here that doesn't want him gone?

Anyway, he never refused to play. it's been described as amicable and mutual. And I have seen not one word of him requiring to be traded to a contender. I suspect he'll go anywhere he can start so he's in a good position for his next contract.

MarioKissoDeath, D-rock and theDude like this.
  7. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Simmons screwed up big which may have cost them the series. But it is the game and **** happens. Come out accept the role you played and take responsibility like a professional. But the team also screwed up by not having Simmons back and not taking on responsibility considering it is a team sport and with dumb comments coming from the coach who is a habitual playoffs loser that cannot close a winnable and simply overrated. Other players and Morey also stayed silent while fans were burning his jersey. It is valid for a player like Ben Simmons to feel like he got backstabbed. In my opinion, Simmons, the Sixers fans, and the team deserve this mess.

MarioKissoDeath and Kevooooo like this.
  8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m confused. He never refused to play but he did refuse to play?

9. Williamson

no. he never refused to play. They came to an agreement that he would not play. Have you no reading comprehension? Did you not read the article about this when it was released? It's not hard to understand.

This is a situation in which the Rockets do not have him in their future plans. They do not even want him here. They just can't trade him because he sucks too bad and gets paid too much. So they've agreed to let him sit to avoid injury since he won't get many minutes anyway.

10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are quite different situations. Simmons still has 4 years left on his contract and (apparently) feels like his team turned on him. When he says he is not reporting, he knows that he will be fined and lose salary. He is willing to sacrifice that knowing that the Sixers are in no position to wait him out (not to mention that the NBA in general does not seem to not trade players when they request it).

Wall, on the other hand, doesn't have 12-15 years of earning ahead of him. Certainly not at his astronomical salary. He's already on the downside. He wants all of his money, so he was going to show up and play. However, the Rockets don't want him to play, so he was going to sit on the bench. Unfortunately, his player option means that he has to stay silent because he can't complain about his usage when the reason he is still there is strictly his decision. If he would agree not to pick up his player option next year, the Rockets would work on a buyout right now. He won't do that, and he has every right not to... he just can't complain about it. If no trade happens, the Rockets will eventually buy him out at some point next year. Until then, it serves both him and the Rockets to go with their current arrangement.

One big difference is that the Rockets are a rebuilding team, so not getting any actual usage from the $44m owed to Wall makes no difference to them. They can move forward with their rebuild. They have to meet a minimum payroll anyway. The Sixers can't get nothing for their investment in Simmons. If they let him hold out all year, that means that they are going to try to compete with one hand tied behind their back. The current players are more likely to be upset with management for wasting a year rather than appeasing their disgruntled player. Right or wrong, that's going to affect not only the attitudes of the current team, but future free agents.

#30 theDude, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Him reporting to camp is to show other teams that he's not holding out or refusing to play. It's part of the agreement that allows him to not be a holdout, but not just be sitting on the bench doing nothing while less accomplished players take his minutes.

D-rock and Williamson like this.
  12. jayland

jayland Member

Simmons needs to pull a Harden to expedite a trade. Show up in a fat suit and tell everyone the team sucks and can’t be fixed.

VickMackey likes this.
  13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m confused by your statements that I bolded. I’m asking you to clarify because you made two opposing statements.

I was never claiming Wall was holding out. Not sure why you go that impression. I was speaking hypothetically, hence the “IF” he did this, then it “WOULD” be a problem. Contrasting it to the Simmons situation who is holding out because he’s unhappy.

14. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

It just means the NBA won't be intervening like they did with the Pelicans and AD.

15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Yeah you tell them John. You guys don't get paid enough to be dealing with this sh*t.

16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Remember when Morey was comparing Ben Simmons to Lebron at the start of the season?

Yeah, I had a good chuckle as well. :rolleyes:

juanm34 likes this.
  17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

To me the Organization deserves all of the blame. The Owner are supposed to hire a Smart GM and especially Scouts to analyze the Players background and Especially their Social Circle.

Firing Sam Hinkie maybe messed up the whole process.

Are the Player Friends and Family Motivated to make their Own Money and Own Personal Goals in their Job. The Parents have a Life of their own instead of taking their sons money.

Is the Player Motivated to work hard in Shooting especially and training drills and show it in Actual Games.

76ers Draft over the last 10 years

Jahlil Okafor the 2nd Pick

Michael Carter Williams - Rookie of the Year, Now I believe he is Out of the League
    Can't shoot a 3 pointet

Markelle Fultz - 1st Pick and had a motorcycle accident and his shoulder messed up his arm, I think he really had nerve damage.

Ben Simmons - Rookie of the Year and Never improved, defensively he improved that is it

Joel Embiid - All Star Player, but really injury prone

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He’s butt hurt cause he got criticized for sucking in the playoffs

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its a loser culture... its impossible to win by losing....losing is alike drug.. its a habit an addiction...its the chemicals and you dont play around with the chemicals

the roster they had when they started the tank was fine, get a good coach like Obradovic and you are golden, draft smart (look what stone has done), trade smart, get shooting coaches, and perhaps you can win championship (which is more than what they did by losing on purpose 5 years straight!) but no people want to ease their way to success....

PuzzledFan likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I like his attitude, stone should trade for him

ps and also he was 3 X times an allstar!