1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2021 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If you have Diaz you don’t need Marwin. McCormick will be our starting CF. Question is it Myers or Siri?

2. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Meyers is the best CF defender on the team, I really think he is a lock to make the roster and hopefully start in CF.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree Astros will most likely have a 3rd catcher, and that McCormick makes the team. When Astros signed Odorizzi, I didn't think he had a great chance to make the postseason roster. Now, I think the Astros have figured out recently that he's pretty good when he's not used as a guy that goes deep into games regardless of how much it pisses him off. I think Odorizzi will make the pen over a reliever.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think it depends how he pitches coming off the injury.

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

A case for staying in the 2nd seed. The White Sox have been mediocre for awhile.

#1225 marks0223, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    everyday eddie likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

After every Astros loss, there are posts pointing out how mediocre the Astros have been for awhile.

I posted earlier that there is no correlation between how hot (or how not hot) one is going into the playoffs. In a small sample size, anything can happen.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would rather be the 1 seed with home field advantage, play the Red Sox in the ALDS with Sale only available for one start, and then play the winner of Rays/White Sox in the ALCS with home field advantage at Minute Maid.... beating the Rays in their building is not easy.

Jason Castro's salary for 22 is pretty much locked in at 4.25 million. He's at 33 starts at catcher and to get another 250k would need to start 7 games. Very unlikely with 12 games left.

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That is exactly what I would do. There is no way you need 13 pitcher. If you need 12 something has gone very very wrong. If you happen to need another pitcher b/c of some 18 inning game or something then one of the position players can tragically get hurt in the middle of the series and you can roster the pitcher. Yeah- it would meant that player is lost for the next round- but who really cares if you were going to leave him off anyway?

raining threes likes this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why would you have Baez on the playoff roster?

mikol13 likes this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Click just raved about his most recent bullpen; I’m assuming he will be back next week and show well. Otherwise he should not be on the playoff roster.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was the same shoulder injury, no? Unless he’s benefitting from some potentially illicit healing agents… even if he’s having good bullpen sessions, not sure he can be counted on to stay healthy let alone pitch in high pressure situations.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Based on Dusty’s comment about Baez today, it doesn’t sound like he expects Baez back this season.

13. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Do you know if the Taxi squad will continue in the playoffs?

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That's a good question. It would be for injuries only though.

15. raining threes

Then let them get the bleep out.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

17. raining threes

If he's had Covid he's got more anti bodies than people who took the poke.

BTW, I'm fully vaccinated.

18. HeyBudLetsParty

What kind of haul could Brantley get in the off-season? Love the steady bat but with Meyers, McCormick, Siri all cheap and playing well and Clicks darling Pedro Leon looking to get a call up next year it could be a good opportunity to capitalize on his value.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He probably doesn’t have much surplus value given his contract. If they paid down his salary they could probably get a decent 2nd tier prospect. But I actually think Brantley is a dark horse extension candidate this offseason. If they view Leon as a potential super utility guy in the Chris Taylor mold, there’s really not an obvious replacement for Brantley. Siri and McCormick (and a handful of other guys in their upper minors) profile more as 4th OF or fringey everyday guys, and factoring in that Meyers isn’t guaranteed to be a star level CF, it may make sense to lock in a steady bat and clubhouse presence if Brantley is willing to take a slight discount (or even just add another year at the same rate). That also opens up the option for Houston to discuss Siri and McCormick in trades this offseason; if another team views either of them on par with a top 100 type of prospect, they could be a key part of a package to acquire an elite pitcher. I would also look into extending Gurriel for another year or two.

Pena replaces Correa at SS
    Leon replaces A Diaz as the super utility guy
    Lee replaces Maldy at C
    Y Diaz replaces Gurriel at 1B
    Bregman, Altuve, Tucker, Alvarez, and Meyers are under control for awhile
    They have a plethora of backup C, 4th OF and bench bat guys in the pipeline
    Extending Brantley locks up their only long term offensive question

#1239 Snake Diggit, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Meyers in September - .182/.294/.364/.658
    McCormick in September - .205/.262/.359/.621

mikol13, No Worries and jim1961 like this.