1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ShamesBomb: John Wall on his way to leave…?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Sep 14, 2021.

1. JD88

JD88 Member

Good, because that's all you're going to get this year, and probably next, and if the picks don't hit, the one after that, too.

But if you're idea of fun is getting blown out night after night, you're in for a real treat.

D-rock likes this.
  2. csc177

csc177 Member

Morey is like “this smart MFer is using all my tactics against me!”

…he even admitted the Brooklyn deal was indeed a good one contrary to the Rocket haters.

AXG, Shark44, 18pbr and 1 other person like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Weaver.

And Tate via adoption.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

@Clutch likes young all star players????

He must be crazy! :rolleyes:o_O

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Weaver is American.
    And Tate is his adopted son.

D-rock and juanming like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think this is the biggest reason most are so willing to trade Wood .... He uttered the words max contract and we've seen how hard it is to get rid of those when they become toxic.
    Thing is , if he's putting up 22/10 on the terrific shooting splits he produced last season , he's earned that max (which is only $37m).
    The other thing is what you believe the timeline to return to competitiveness is. I'm eyeballing the 2023/24 season.

Name 3 players you'd rather have that are actually attainable that replace his production at the position - what would they cost cap wise over the same time period ? What assets did you give up to acquire them ?

I normally wouldn't disagree but damn , this roster is already young and needs time to develop. You'll be adding another early pick to the mix next offseason (Hopefully one of Banchero / Holmgen) & they are paying Wall to go away so they have minutes to allocate to the current logjam at the guard / wing spots ....

Yes , picks are currency. But there comes a point where you need to see how your current young players develop and we have a roster full of them. Any pick you get for Wood isn't likely to produce at the same level and if that player does , he's not likely to reach this level of production for several years.
    We don't know if we have foundational pieces or not .... Its quite possible that Wood , Green and KPJ are just that.
    We have a season and a half to make that evaluation on KPJ , Tate & Wood and 4 years on Green and the other rookies.

The reason he was had on such a low contract is that it took him a while to develop , that's typical of big men. They don't come into the league and set the world afire .... particularly in this day and age , just look how long it took Capela to develop into the player he is today. Even hAkeem & Shaq took their lumps.

He's the classic example of a late bloomer.

Again , I really believe this is the biggest hangup in regards to Wood on this forum.

But statistically , he's putting up better numbers than AD (and most other big men) on better efficiency with a whole lot less around him while AD has the gravity of Lebron making the game easy for him.

If he improves to 22-25 & 10 with similar shooting splits to last year AND stays healthy for the duration , he'll have earned that max extension IMO.

Could be but he's got a long way to go to being a 20/10 big man playing 36minutes per. I think of all this years draft picks he has the greatest variance of outcome .... could be anything from superstar to dud.

I just don't see that .... I see a guy busting his ass to get better.

I'm NOT against trading Wood for the right deal .... but I don't see any scenario where you get back a top 10 pick in return. Any team trading for him is going to be a playoff team & GSW isn't calling with the Minnesota unprotected pick.
    I'm more in the wait and see how he develops over the next year and a half before we make the decision.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That reminds me, in 1971, I was in the Alps with a girl up in Grindelwald, in Switzerland, staying at an incredible youth hostel up on the side of a mountain overlooking the village, across from the Eiger. We met a Swedish guy not far from where we were staying while on a walk, who was sitting on the grass playing Mozart on an Irish flute. He was in great shape like Wall, too. Got to talking with him and we hung out together for a couple of days, hiking up to the glacier and drinking in the village.

When he left, he gave us his phone number in Stockholm. After about 6 weeks we ended up there, called, and he put us up in his apartment. Turned out that his father was a psychiatrist, his parents living in a fantastic house just outside of the city. Had dinner at their house. His Dad was wearing a suit that looked like the one the guy in 2001 was wearing on the space station. I thought that while we all had dinner.

The whole thing was such a trip.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And it was!

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'd rather route Simmons elsewhere for picks / young players.

He's good enough to screw up the tank but not good enough to win big with.

Before that trade you are probably a 25 win team , after that trade a 33 win team - being a 33 win team isn't worth giving up a shot at Banchero / Holmgren.

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I actually would be very intrigued at a Wall/Embiid lineup. I'd watch that.

11. kdaltaccount

kdaltaccount Member

How does this affect Marlon Mack?

12. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

hmmm

D-rock and amaru like this.
  13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I don't know if this is true, but it is logical, hence why I said earlier I could see Morey proposing a Wall and Wood for Simmons and Harris trade. I'm not personally in favor of such a trade, but it provides an interesting discussion structure.

NewAge likes this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

Wall has two years left.
    Tobias has 3 years left (36, 37.6, 39.2)
    Simmons has 4 years left.

Timespan for Wall is two years; it lines up perfectly with Wood's current.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sending out Wood would be a no go for me.

Especially when EGo + House is a much better option for Rockets.

76ERS: Wall, Gordon, House
    ROCKETS: Simmons, Harris

Lots of shooters and perimeter defenders around Embiid.

Rockets get longer, younger.

Porter/Khyri/JC
    Green/Nwaba/Snipa
    Harris/Tate/KJ
    Simmons/Theis/Garuba
    Wood/Sengun

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

A Simmons deal makes much much more sense if we can tank one more year, get another major piece then add Simmons.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

lol perhaps i am in the minority here and i apologize to his supporters in this forum, but i've viewed morey as pathetic AF going back the past 5-6 years. talks a big game (most often on twitter in the past), then always ends up retreating with tail between legs like a scrub. he wasn't willing to make a reasonable offer a year ago and lost out on wilt harden. now with egg all over his fat face stuck with the same disgruntled player he could of jettisoned for beardo, he's still making insane asanine proposals. few weeks from now will come out at the podium to report to philly fans "we thought we had a deal, we were really close" lol

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Let's hope for another egg on his face trade.

Either "we were really close" or "I believe Wall is the missing piece".

pippendagimp likes this.
  19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

regarding simmons, in full disclosure i truly feared this guy just a couple years ago. whenever we played philly he was very productive, his all around game was a huge impact. but last season he seemed to get a mental block about his shooting even early in the year, and of course in the playoffs bigtime. so i'm sort of on the fence about trading for him. on one hand his D and his transition game are elite. on the other, the guy is a huge liability at the end of games plus his contract would F up our future free agency campaign. i do feel good about stone though thus far, so whatever decision he makes i'll ride with that

D-rock likes this.
  20. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

I been wanting to say this... Who cares at this point if John Wall gets traded or not? The case to trade him was to make playing time for the young guys and don't stunt their growth! Well he agreed to sit on the sidelines so perfect! We're not contending anyways in the next 3 years and it's not my money seems like it's already the perfect trade!

Shark44 and DrNuegebauer like this.