1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No

luckyman76, joshuaao and rockets1995 like this.
  2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

KJ Martin Jr. Fixed his 3 Point Shot in his Rookie Year Alone.

Ben Simmons doesn't work hard and doesn't love basketball.
    If he truly loved the game he would really sacrifice his own body for this game.
    Watch video, correct it in practice, play the game and produce results.

6 years for Ben Simmons(including LSU) to improve yourself, do you care about improving.
    Obviously not.

Christian Wood is a great example of how much he has improved since being undrafted and being almost a All Star. Almost the same age and maybe they were on Same Draft.
    Ben Simmons went 1st Pick, Christian Wood Undrafted. Completely Opposite Spectrum

Ben Simmons is running on Media Hype alone.

Look at all of the Hall of Famers and Championship Teams that played the game really hard, they sacrificed their body and worked extra hard in practice.
    Teammates literally hurting each other in order to improve each other on game day. Like the Championship 1993-1994,1994-1995 Teams.

#142 rockets1995, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I know you hate T-Mac but who wouldnt. There's NO Comparison. McGrady is a HOF. Simmons is good but no where McGrady's level

#143 hlmbasketball, Sep 21, 2021
  4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Wall, filler, 2 first’s, maybe a second is the most I’d be willing by to part with for Simmons. I’m not going to disregard the fact that his value has never been lower thanks to his inability to shoot a jumper. We are getting a discount on a superstar “talent”.

With that being said, I think there are avenues where Simmons could take this team to the next level. Green, KPJ, KMJ, Tate, Simmons, Theis, Sengen, etc isn’t bad at all.

It just comes down to price… 3-4 first rounders is a overpay and that’s being nice.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

OKC Josh Giddey is going to surpass Ben Simmons as the best Australian player.

Ben Simmons I think will be forgotten about. I just have that feeling he will disappear from the NBA and basically get blackballed by teams.

luckyman76 likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think that’s a reasonable perspective for Philly, and it’s also reasonable for the Rockets to just reject it.

Bottom line, I don’t see how a trade lines up for Philly and Houston. Houston isn’t contending right now, so it has no reason to blow its draft and asset capital for a win now move. If you want Simmons, trade for him in 2 years.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Do those that advocate for a Simmons trade realize he makes 35 mil a year and locked up till 2025 right? How does this make sense for Rockets financially when they are looking to sign Wood and KPJ possibly in 2023. And you still have to deal with greens contract in 3 years. So in essence you’re paying an offensively challenged player who is not a number 1 or 2 scoring option 35-40 mil a year until 2025.

#148 Stephen_A, Sep 21, 2021
    luckyman76 and don grahamleone like this.
  9. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Yes, but it depends which 1st rounders. We want to offload Wall anyway. Are 3-4 mid-late first round picks really not worth the risk for a #1 talent? John Wall isn't much of a 3 point shooter either.

Put him at point forward and surround him with shooters...Christian Wood, Eric Gordon, and Jalen Green is a good start. KPJr needs to improve on 3P% to really make it work.

D-rock likes this.
  10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

You’re not just losing the picks in the trade, you’re also making the team better and lowering the draft pick this year and next year. That alone is reason enough not to trade wall for simmons straight up, let alone include picks

luckyman76 likes this.
  11. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Then wait until the deadline. We'll be terrible until then and I doubt he'd mesh well enough on the fly to improve much before the end of the year.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Who are you arguing with? Confused by my question? Please review your post. You’ve made my internet day.

ApacheWarrior, Stephen_A and Deckard like this.
  13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

you're still making it worse for next season when we have our pick, and why risk him helping this season? it's just not worth it, NOTHING that causes wins should even be considered

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

lol

15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I still can't believe how Colagelo convinced generations of NBA types that he is the smartest person in the room.

16. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

CF is madness during the offseason. Ready to see some live basketball!

17. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

@Plowman any good game film on YouTube, I need to do some research on Simmons’ game.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Something that can't be emphasized enough: Morey and the Sixers are in a win-now-or-else situation. They absolutely have to get to the finals (or maybe the ECF) for their season not to be considered a huge failure. Stone and the Rockets are in a who-gives-a-f%$k situation. If the Rockets win only 15-20 games and get another high lottery pick, that's a big win. Additionally, we can wait until closer to the trade deadline to find someone who absolutely needs to take Wall off our hands, and we might even pull it off without attaching assets, depending on the desperation of the trade partner.

In other words, Stone has no real need to go after Simmons, and especially not at the cost of 3-4 FRPs. Just sit tight for another week or two and see how desperate the Sixers get. If they manage to trade Simmons elsewhere, fine. We have the ability to remain patient for the next 2 years and not make any questionable moves that could potentially hurt the all-important rebuild.

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Trust me you don't want to

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Simmons isn't worth his current contract. Wall isn't, either, but at least he's capable of playing a role on offense and defense. I'm not sure I'd flip them straight up, and certainly wouldn't attach picks.

The Rockets need to hang onto draft picks and develop their young guys. Not spend their current draft capital on a one dimensional superstar who might be able to move the team into the mediocre category but could never make them elite.