1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Texas Governor's Race

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ryan_98, Jul 5, 2021.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you dont live in austin do you?:D

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would pretty much vote for anybody against the current dumbass. He has multiple issues against him that would be fatal if conservative voters had any common sense (or conscience) these days.

However I don't like Beto. Not that I necessarily dislike his policies, I just dislike people that do stupid things, and him openly taking his stance on guns in this state was stupid. I will still vote for him, but he has no f**king chance. Dodge the question or outright lie because even if he wins no anti gun legislation is going anywhere in Texas, so why waste even a second of energy on it.

F**ktard on wheels has all the ammo he needs with that one talking point, because voters are stupid.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

There isn't any Democrat in Texas that has a chance to win a statewide election. You basically have a few large city mayors, a few congressmen representing districts surrounding those same large cities, and one county judge representing that same large city. Unfortunately, none would have statewide recognition and appeal. The best possible might be Lina Hidalgo but she is pretty inexperienced and likely wouldn't have any name recognition outside Houston and possibly Austin. Then the other two that might have a small chance are the two Castro brothers. I suspect Julian would be painted too liberal for his support of Warren, Hillary, Obama. Joaquin may have a better shot but the fact I even call them out as "the Castro brothers" illustrates a major challenge both would face.

Is there any other possible candidate?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'll second this. Beto is okay, and obviously preferable to Abbott, but he doomed any chance for state-wide office with his ill-advised presidential run. He should settle into a niche as a background operative for the party. Or maybe he could win in New Mexico -- El Paso seems more like a New Mexico town than a Texan one anyhow.

I'd prefer this. They have some credibility, though obviously they can't pretend to be conservative democrats. I wonder though if Beto running means they don't intend to.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I fear that in Texas, any traditional candidate from the Democrats won't have a chance and are susceptible to being labeled by the GOP. It will take a celebrity who already has a known identity and won't be susceptible to those labels and misinformation coming from Abbot's team. McConaughy or Popovich wouldn't be able to be labeled because the general populace who doesn't follow politics won't buy into the labels the GOP will attach to any other candidate.

I will say that Beto worked his tail off and did a great job connecting with voters and made in-roads far beyond what was expected at the beginning of the race. I agree his gun stance was horrible for him in Texas. It doesn't take much to undo all of the hard work. People who are a known commodity will get more of a pass on their first error. It will take a series of them to change people's impressions. It's a sad state of affairs, but that's how it is.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

frankly , I like turner . But I think he’s been around long enough that there’s enough ammo against him and that he wouldn’t win statewide .

matress Mack could win But I’m pretty sure he’s not a democrat.

Willie Nelson ?

justin Nelson ran for AG in 2018 and came close , had to mention it because he’s kinda extended family . That’d be sick for me hahaha

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Zombie Ann Richards

dmoneybangbang and Kim like this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I look forward to the next man we can congratulate here

9. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I could create a unicorn candidate for the Democrats, this is what I’d want:

1) Former, successful businessman or woman - The reality is that Republican parties are damaging to more than just minority and other vulnerable populations; they’re bad for the economy in the long run. A successful businessperson can make this case most authentically.

2) Experience as mayor - the downside to #1 is often that they lack the experience in dealing with bureaucracy. Mayoral experience - preferably of a decent sized city - would ameliorate this.

3) Established Democrat party member - someone who just adds a D after his/her name solely for the election may not be interested in promoting other Democrats in other races. In other words, he/she needs to be someone who wants to be a featured speaker at the next convention (and in turn, the party wants to speak)

4) Smart and capable - duh

unfortunately, truly successful progressive businessmen seem mostly interested in being high profile donors. Which makes sense - most sane people aren’t all that gung ho about walking away from a successful career to pursue something that’s such a long bet and then a tough challenge if they actually win.

Kim likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Beto has never retracted the statement either

Astrodome likes this.
  11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe what he meant was "Hell yes, we're gonna take your AR-15 and use it to shoot the next snow storm that comes through"?

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

agreed

Beto guarantees another hot wheels victory

Rocket River

13. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bill White
    1. check - Before serving as Mayor, White was an attorney and businessman
    2. check - was the 60th Mayor of Houston from 2004 to 2010
    3. check - served as U.S. Deputy Secretary of Energy under President Bill Clinton from 1993 to 1995
    4. N/A - opinions may vary
    It seems like he checks all of those boxes but in 2010 he didn't fare any better than the rest:

2018 - 55.8% 42.5%
    2014 - 59.3% 38.9%
    2010 - 55% 42.3%
    2006 - 39.0% 29.8%
    2002 - 57.8% 40.0%

Re: Beto, he may have done some good things to bring in new voters and generate some enthusiasm but he's looking more like Chris Bell now. For those unfamiliar with Bell, he was a Houston City Councilmember that ran for Mayor and lost. He served one term in the US congress then lost (due to redistricting). Next, he ran for Governor and lost, followed by a run for Texas Senate, then mayor of Houston again, and then finally for US Senate. All losses.

Meanwhile Beto O'Rourke served on the El Paso City Council, then the US House where he was reelected twice. Then he lost the US Senate campaign in 2018 and took another L in the 2020 presidential campaign. It's not a 1-1 comparison but he's peaked and should stay away.

I don't have any qualified candidates to bring up. Like I said above, Bill White seems to check those boxes but his name recognition is even less now than it was 11 years ago. The Castro brothers will be painted as too liberal along with Beto. Maybe MJ Hegar, but she is 0-2 in her races? Like it or not, Matthew McConaughey seems like the best option right now.

14. SuraGotMadHops

See general U.S. Election - 2020.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Love Beto - but don't think he can win.

DD

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yet the Democrats will run him out there then act surprised when he loses . .. . Walter Mondale style

Rocket River

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

trump said he would take peoples guns without a court order and nobody cared. beto says were going to take your ar-15 and it makes him un-electable in texas.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. CCorn

CCorn Member

It is what it is. Beto still shouldn’t waste time running. He’s a loser and will always be a loser in texas.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I live in Austin and I hope to god Matthew McConaughey runs. Beto is a weak candidate who cut his own throat politically in Texas with his remark about guns. Abbott will just run the video, oh, 10 or 15 thousand times. It was a stupid thing for O'Rourke to say, whether one agrees with the sentiment or not, and he didn't have to. He also didn't walk it back. He also is polling poorly against Abbott. Whoever said he would be a strong challenger is brain dead. Beto is toast.

Mr. McConaughey, however, who I posted about and supported in another thread somewhere, polls 9 points ahead of Abbott, according to the Dallas Morning News. That's from like yesterday, I think. Matthew is a smart guy, who would quickly get up to speed on the job, and he would be a good governor. Vastly better than Abbott, easily Mr. Worst Texas Governor Ever, quite an accomplishment considering some of the lousy ones we've had.

#59 Deckard, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Rocket River likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Matthew M. beating Greg A. would be hilarious on so many levels.

Rocket River and FranchiseBlade like this.