1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ShamesBomb: John Wall on his way to leave…?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Sep 14, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lololol ben simmons enchanted so many people in nba similar to carmelo anthony... this is how hype works...5 years from now hell still be worthelss to winning and fanbases will plot the ways how to trade their good players for him to get 'an allstar' and the franchise guy lolololol

Ramo$e likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

wood is the prototype of the modern nba player unlike benn simmons who is better suited for 80s or 70s and people still want to trade wood for benn lolololol
    Causals!

3. dmoneybangbang

You're the one who keeps talking about Wood as if he's some bird in the hand star.

That's just you interjecting your own biases. We have a two year window where we own our FRP, this is strategy, not "perpetual suck".

Vegas thinks we are going to a bottom 5 team with a healthy roster this season and that's consensus in NBA media too.

I mean sure..... but Vegas ain't in the business of losing money regardless of "making it up somewhere else". I'm sorry dude, but this Rocket's team isn't expected to be very good.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe the Rockets can do some kind of "load management" which would not be totally BS given Wall's propensity for injuries. Let him play every other game or so. That way, you get to maybe showcase that Wall can still ball and also give the young kids minutes to develop. It would probably hurt the jelling process, but the Rockets are not in a hurry to win a lot of games anyway.

5. amaru

amaru Member

It’s been well reported that both sides have agreed to have Wall sit out while a trade is found. I’m talking about what I feel will likely happen if this situation extends more than a few months.

Ramo$e likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Good point, which remains to be seen. Maybe the league can "look the other way" or "basketball reasons" up until the deadline? I'm sure other teams will complain, since this obviously helps the Rockets' goals. I think the Ben Simmons situation is taking up all the air fortunately.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I called Rockets with Wall 39 wins
    Without Wall 25 wins (& this is without knowing the Vegas odds)

So they said Rockets at 26.5 wins..........do they care to change that now that we
    know Wall won't play? All I know is that ESPN had us at 18 wins.

Is Vegas keeping the line at 26.5 wins from back in August (I looked it up about 30 minutes ago)
    Or maybe Vegas insiders knew Wall wasn't going to play a single game?

They have the Clippers at 44.5 wins.......is that before or after Kawhi might be
    out the whole season? I doubt they win 40 games with Bledsoe, Reggie Jackson
    and Paul George. Maybe Vegas knows Kawhi is coming back this year?

No one can predict injuries or when a rash of Covid-19 hits a team

Rockets just need to ball out and not try to jockey for lame supremacy

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Can John Wall not just say formally inform the team/league that he's out for personal reasons indefinitely? If they didn't care about us exiling Melo from the team and forcefully banishing him from the team and almost ending his career outside of his own will, then I'm not sure they'll care about Wall.

9. HardenVolumeOne

hopefully after these westbrick, and wall contracts expire, that no team is dumb enough to pay a supermax contract to any of these athletic pg's. Its a waste of money

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

He isn't just sitting.
    No fake injury required
    The Rockets and Wall have met to discuss the future of the franchise, and there is MUTUAL agreement that he should go. Both sides working on a trade.

Nothing for the NBA to see here. Wall can negotiate a buyout if he wants to play somewhere else. If he drops his player option, most likely a buyout is a very easy matter, and he can play wherever he likes

11. dmoneybangbang

Rebuilding isn't fun, but sometimes it's necessary as it is in our case. Sometimes you need take the shot and sometimes you need to pass the ball. Stone appears to be a good GM and I'm sure he'll try to get our cap in much better shape to turn that corner. It's certainly probable that we could be competing for a 2023 play-in spot with a Hawks-esque type of lineup.

#2021-2022LameSupremacyStrategy

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

There seems to be some noise of interest tho I don’t see the connection to believability.

If there were a Wall - Simmons framework I’d be invested in seeing how it was flushed out.

DM the GM/6ers’ goals/needs/wants are quite different from Raffy/Rox’ that 3rd (& 4th) teams’ involvements might make this all beautifully attractive to all.

In reality I believe the noise is just white noise and not a cacophony.

13. dmoneybangbang

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I get the agreement between wall and rockets. The league is bigger than both of those entities though.

15. alethios

alethios Member

I understand the concern and it certainly could play out that way, but I would question why he would be that way when it could only damage his trade value and make him seem like a cancer.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree with this except for one thing. It's not going to be the Rockets holding out for a fair deal - they will be holding out for a lopsided deal in their favor. Because a fair deal would be sending him somewhere for expiring junk but attaching a minimum of two first round picks. Because we cannot part with picks, we'll have to wait for a completely lopsided deal in our favor.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

are you suggesting any deal for Wall is a lopsided deal for Rox? Here’s a new thought (gee, ‘new’), if Wall were @20 mil x 2 there’d be a bunch’s interesting offers.

luckyman76 and Corrosion like this.
  18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

John Wall, even at the absolute peak of his powers, is/was not worth +14 wins.

John Wall is no where near the peak of his basketball ability anymore.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

1. I am suggesting that any deal the Rockets would be willing to accept for Wall would be lopsided in favor of the Rockets. Because I do not see them including picks to be rid of him.

2. I agree. But he's not on a 20 million per year contract. You might as well say, "If he were healthy, capable of playing 70+ games, and playing at an MVP level there would be a bunch of interesting offers". Sure there would. But he's not, he's not and he's not. So wtf?

The reality is that John Wall is getting paid 92 million dollars for the next two years to play good but not great basketball roughly every other game.

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member