1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ShamesBomb: John Wall on his way to leave…?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Sep 14, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahahaha everyone wants wood , only rockets fans want to get rid of him

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because the coach and GM here haven’t thrown him under the bus?

D-rock likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

Something I would say if we weren’t closer to a bottom 5 team instead of a playoff contender. We should be asset accumulation phase instead of erroneously trying to compete.

What was our chances of drafting a top player last year, a coin flip?

You are too focused on drafting a player and that player turning into a superstar. When we are just taking as many bites at the apple. Maybe we will trade Green, 2021 top 4 pick, contracts for a disgruntled star next off-season.

You would have lost if you bet the over last season…

You can still see if you can beat Vegas by betting the over this season….

larsv8 likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Even in the current situation I'm gonna call bs that Morey's best option is to trade Ben Simmons to Houston for John Wall.

D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  5. NewAge

NewAge Member

I mean, why? The guy says he's not showing up for opening night (as per Windhorst). How much more desperate can it get?
    The only somewhat legit offers I've read about are centered around Hield or Brogdon. Wall is better than both. C.J. McColum is not being offered.

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yeah. The only way I'd vaguely consider such a trade is if Simmons would agree to move to the 4.

KPJ / Augustin
    Green / Exum / Christopher
    Harris / Tate / KJM
    Simmons / Garuba / KJM
    Theis / Sengun

Something like that. Definitely an interesting mix of players. Again, I'm a big Wood fan so I wouldn't be thrilled with the prospect, but really that's the only realistic avenue I see absent an obviously lopsided trade or us forfeiting a lot of draft capital.

7. dmoneybangbang

17 game sample size…. Nothing more needs to be said.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Let's just say I'm in the group that thinks Morey can do better than getting John Wall for Ben Simmons. How about that?

D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm somewhat hoping we're a bit too good to be fighting for a top-3 position, but a large part of me wants one more shot at another top-3 player, especially considering this upcoming draft and how talented it potentially could be. It's rare (unheard of?) for a team as young as this to make a complete turnaround or even become mediocre quickly, Simmons as a passing big in this offense would be great, but his fear of 3's would hurt it. Then again his ability to drive and get layups (lol) would be an asset, I guess. I don't like the idea of losing Wood, but having Garuba and Sengun help, though I think it's still to be seen how good they really are, so I'm not sure they'll be plug-in replacements for what Wood has shown as a Rocket and toward the end of his Pistons career.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Any team who wants to trade for Simmons needs to talk to Simmons first about his willingness to move out of the PG position and that he is committed to your team.

If he doesn't want any of those, you will be stuck with a prima donna dead weight max contract just like Philly is stuck with him now. I am okay with trading Wall for Simmons straight up only because of Wall's terrible contract. I would not attach any FRP unless it is heavily protected.

Boredhippy, D-rock, DeBeards and 2 others like this.
  11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On the surface, I tend to agree. But it wasn't that long ago that the Rockets were in the same situation. Everyone was complaining about the return they got for Harden, but they couldn't just dig in and keep a disgruntled player. The Rockets can offer lots of picks, and match salary short-term. That might be what ultimately gets it done.

D-rock likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

That's what all the players were judged by at that stage of the game....21 games.

What did you want Wood to do......play in October when every other started at Christmas?

This is why it's futile to discuss this matter, many are here to get their jollies seeing
    the Rockets in a state of "perpetual suck"

Betting on 3 key fob players having injuries of more than 30 games each is
    a poor bet. Betting on injuries is a gamble within a gamble.

Vegas can take that hit because most people are scared of betting on a team that
    won 17 games in a shortened season. Loss won't be as great......Vegas will make it the
    loss elsewhere.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How many months do you guys think until this gets heated?

John is not going to want to sit the entire year, and the Rockets are going to struggle to get something of value for him.....trying to hold out for a fair deal.

This will blow up.....

DD

BHannes2BHonest, D-rock and amaru like this.
  14. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yeah, and…? John’s gonna threaten with…? Sitting out games?

15. amaru

amaru Member

He’ll be a malcontent and claim the Rockets are holding up his career. Since this current FO seems to be more sensitive to their perception around the league than the last, Wall whining about being held back may force them into action.

DaDakota, Boredhippy and D-rock like this.
  16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right? You're missing House in the mix (who could also be sent to Philly), or I could see Tate added in for Maxey or Milton.

17. alethios

alethios Member

This org has shown a willingness to work with players and find them a situation that's mutually agreeable. I don't doubt that the Rockets are looking at the all the possibilities and not just remanding him to the DNP bench for the season....unless that is what's the best option.

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets need to keep Wood, 76ers do not want or need another starting 5.

And Harris can already play 4 as well or better than Wood.

And Wood actually complements Simmons by opening up paint.

This trade is highly unlikely but if even if an inkling of truth, giving up Wood is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Trade Wall, EGo, House before Wood.

#598 D-rock, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Richie_Rich and Boredhippy like this.
  19. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Wood is only 25-years-old and he keeps getting better and better. He scores, rebounds, and fills a position of need. With the signing of Daniel Theis to play center we no longer have to worry about Wood getting pushed around by stronger centers, meaning he can play the 4.

Why would the Rockets ship Wood out for a dude on a horrible contract that can't shoot?

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I have started to question whether the league will allow him to just sit. A healthy scratch for former all star making $40M a year?

D-rock likes this.