1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ShamesBomb: John Wall on his way to leave…?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Sep 14, 2021.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

cont'd from post #538

@dmoneybangbang

Clippers we're over the Luxury Tax in:

18/19: No
    19/20: Yes
    20/21: Yes
    21/22: Yes at the moment

Repeater tax due to 3 out of last 4 years being over the Luxury Tax, on approximately $30+ million

No Bueno

saleem likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , its a longshot trade to begin with but I wouldn't trade the ability to sign 2 max FA's in that offseason for the possibility of Porzingis finally getting it or what I might be able to get in trade for him with one year left on his deal ....

As for trading Wood , I'm against that Unless its a godfather deal and the whole idea behind "My plan" would be adding two great players to the core of Wood , KPJ , Tate & Green via FA / S&T.

luckyman76, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  3. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Philly would take on John but it would be Tobis Harris coming back in contract.

Have to dump Gordon in 3 way with rockets send picks out to both Teams.. I would not mine having Harris as a starter to be around the kids. Harris can play 4 and would be good in small ball lineup.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yh69tohc

I like getting back Warren and Lamb are expiring and could be good vets coming off the bench.

Philly gets 1st, and so does Indiana in trades from rockets.

KPJ, DJ, Exum
    Green , Christopher
    Warren , J Tate, Lamb
    Harris , Segun Martin JR
    Wood , Theis Garuba

a la rockets likes this.
  4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

We just had one of the worst seasons in franchise history, and we probably won't be much better this season, and your celebrating?

Jesus lol...

D-rock and Dacamel like this.
  5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't care how we trade wall or who we get back or even where he goes.. All I care about is not giving up picks to get rid of him. It makes no sense for us to use picks. Better off just letting his contract expire.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Worth noting that Tilman is worth $6bill

Ballmer is worth $96 billion (possibly over 100 billion as reported in July - has grown 20billion this year)
    He seems more of a "let's be in it to win it" kind of guy - I'm not certain he would be deterred by spending a billion on the team over 5 years. He has the wealth to do that forever. Having said that, the Clippers revenue is around $300M per year. He is in LA, it is possible to be profitable and pay tax. The Warriors do it in San Francisco, so...

hakeem94, ApacheWarrior and jch1911 like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any Rocket fan worth their weight is beyond excited and celebrating right now. It is going to be a damn fun season.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Understood.....ground breaking ceremony for Intuit Arena. Set to be ready for Clippers
    games and practice in 2024.

So yes, Ballmer is not desperate to put a winning product now as if they were trying
    to fill seats at a brand new arena; but I don't think Ballmer has a problem buying out
    Wall at any point in the season or there after.

If Kawhi doesn't play, it seems like more incentive to get another star to go with
    Paul George. Star is up for debate when talking about Wall. 20 points and 10 assists
    in the NBA might be considered a star by many people. That is what I can project
    for Wall on a Clippers team. Especially if Wall could get 20 points and 7 Ast's on a crappy
    Rockets squad last season.

Some people think a John Wall will not get better; where I feel Wall will improve as
    did Durant. Durant stats were amazing following Achilles rupture while everyone
    outside Rockets fan base felt Wall did fine this past season. I expect Wall to
    progress; not regress.

Time will tell. I do like the internet conspiracy of Wall going to a Clippers ground
    breaking ceremony and hanging out with Paul George. Wasn't even the Grand
    Opening of the Arena. Supposedly Ibaka, Morris and Bledsoe didn't attend.
    Again, supposedly the only Clippers not there.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well instead lets go after some other top 5 picks in recent drafts, such as:

Anthony Edwards
    LaMelo Ball
    Zion WIlliams
    Ja Morant
    Deandre Ayton
    Luka Doncic
    Trae Young
    Jayson Tatum
    De'Aaron Fox
    Brandon Ingram
    Jaylen Brown
    Karl Anthony Towns
    Joel Embiid
    Anthony Davis
    Bradley Beal
    Kyrie Irving
    James Harden

What do you mean none of them are available?

Well I guess we better tank and try and pick them ourselves.

As always, your argument makes zero sense.

10. NewAge

NewAge Member

we can throw anecdotes back and forth, but I actually ran the numbers for picks #1-3 in last 20 years winning the championship with the team that drafted them, and it’s pretty much zero. only exception is the wierd cle situation where the guy went back and so both he and kyrie could win one, but that’s hardly repeatable. many won with other teams.
    very different times than the previous era when Magic, Dream, MJ, Admiral, Duncan all won

11. larsv8

Yea, the best players win championships.

All the more reason to collect the most we can, which usually fall in the top 3 in draft picks.

xtruroyaltyx and Chamillionaire like this.
  12. NewAge

NewAge Member

you completely missed the point!

In this century drafting 1-3 doesn’t get you a championship, unlike the last century. (Only exception is if you draft a player who is born in your neighborhood, then you lose him, but then he comes back for sentimental reasons. Hardly a formula for success!)

Losing and tanking doesn’t pay-off in the 21st century!! That’s the hard data.

PS. I actually messed up my original post, I missed the other top 3 draft pick who won a title with the team that drafted him. Apologies to the 2004 Detroit Pistons, led to the NBA championship by the immortal Darko Milicic in his rookie year!

hakeem94 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  13. larsv8

No, I got the point.

Its just not convincing that being the 7th or 8th worst team in the league is somehow better than being the absolute worst.

Wood needs to go, and we need to be top five pick bad for the next two years while we have the ability and the excuse to do so.

People are really really not thinking this through...like at all.

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rockets got Jalen Green, Alperen Sengun, Josh Christopher, Usman Garuba

Of Course all Rockets fans are happy.

xtruroyaltyx and cheke64 like this.
  15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Celtics Fans creating dumb trade scenario on Youtube

Al Horford other Young Scrubs for John Wall, Christian Wood

saleem likes this.
  16. JD88

JD88 Member

I bet when the team is 12-35, it won't be so fun.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I've made all these points before and found it futile.

Clutchfans members in general would rather shot themselves in the foot than succeed.

Christian Wood is close to being an all star level talent; but many here would rather
    trade him for picks and hope for someone who might be an all star level talent?.?

People feel they hit the lottery with Green, Sengun, JC and Garuba and they want that feeling
    every year now. They want to keep the awesome Christmas presents in their package and
    never open them. Like wrapping their baseball cards in tinfoil to keep them in mint condition.
    Only problem is NBA players aren't baseball card and they level your team if the quote unquote
    culture sucks. Losing will >>≥>> turns into Porter jr/Wood leaving >>>>> turns into Green/JC/
    Sengun/Garuba being labeled losers >>>>>> turns into Green/JC/Garuba/Sengun leaving
    as it takes a Chet / Banchero time to develop.

But I question, how much is it people outside of Houston that are just trolling the franchise
    and wanting Houston to be perpetual losers? Those same people that wanted Houston to trade
    Harden at all cost. So that Houston would suck. Forever!!!!

As you noted, the team that drafts a player in the top 10 tends to invest a lot of
    time, money, sweat and tears in training that individual.....only for them to leave
    in free agency or by way of other means.

I would rather other teams do the entry level training like the Thunder with
    Harden or the Pistons with Christian Wood. Fact of the matter is teams
    with a championship nowadays when free agents join a team.
    Warriors bringing in Iggy, Bogut, Harrison Barnes, Durant or the
    Lakers bringing in LeBron, AD, Rondo, Dwight Howard, KPJ or
    the Bucks bringing in Brook Lopez (Nets originally), Jrue Holliday,
    Portis.

I'm not turning away Jalen Green; but chances are Green will seek other pastures
    in 5 years when he is a free agent. I don't want to waste any of those years tanking.
    That's just me personally.

D-rock and NewAge like this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

rox can win 12 games next season?

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't expect anything else from their delusional fans.

jch1911 and steddinotayto like this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

And you completely overrate our players frankly. Wood is Al Horford 2.0, an excellent offensive big, which would be a fantastic 3rd option on a contending team. But where does that get us when we don’t have the 1st and 2nd option?

There’s a reason why Vegas thinks we will be one of the worst teams in the league and that’s before John Wall sitting out news.