1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ShamesBomb: John Wall on his way to leave…?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Sep 14, 2021.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

Nah, Perk just knows who’s a baller and who’s not a baller. Wall is a baller. Simmons is … something, but he not a baller. Philly needs another baller, that’s all.. Dame, Beal, Harden those are type 1A ballers but Morley can’t get them. Wall is a 1B option..

bmelo likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

my goodness i forgot markelle fultz

imagine (smallball) No 1 pick lineup of:
    PG john wall
    SG markelle fultz
    SF andrew wiggins
    PF anthonny bennet
    C been simmons

number one draft choice starting five ;)

the best thing all these guys are available on cheap, you dont have to tank a single month to get them

you can also try to lure D rose from the knicks to lead your bench alongiside Blake Griffin and Dwight Howard
    no 1 draft choice bench

rockets1995 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

Interesting. I would think the Clippers would prefer the Rockets picking up more of Walls contract and wait until mid season.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. hakeemthagreat

The whole Ben Simmons for Harden debacle was 100% media driven. The media wanted Harden in Philly because it's a rather big market. Never mind that was the DUMBEST move for the Rockets. Funny how quiet it got after the trade deadline

NewAge and rockets1995 like this.
  5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Thank You Rafael Stone for not giving in to pressure (Ben Simmons, Caris Levert, Jarrett Allen) $90 million plus John Wall $40 million, Total $130 million a Year Roster tied up on those 4 players.

Thank Goodness Rafael Stone, Eli Witus Believes in Rebuilding through the Draft.

Delusional Rockets wanted that trade instead of Draft Picks and clearing salaries.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Like the New York teams (Knicks/Nets), Clippers and Lakers are in high competition with one another.

Both Bledsoe and Reggie Jackson are more Shooting Guards than assist men.

Wall averaged 7 assists on a bad team without much weapons and a 36% assist%.
    Look around the league and find a point guard that sported a 36% assist% or better
    and scored 20 points? Not many would be the answer.

Lakers have added Westbrook - Rondo and Melo. DeAndre Jordan and Dwight Howard
    on a side note. The Clippers as constructed will fall far behind the Lakers from the get-go
    unless they make a change.

Kawhi and Paul George are at their best when they have a facilitator drawing the attention
    of the defense and can actually pass. Wall would bring out the best in Kawhi/PG-13 and
    Kawhi/PG-13 would bring out the best in John Wall. It's up to Kennard (45% 3P%) and
    a group effort of PG-13, Kawhi, Batum and Reggie Jackson to spread the floor.
    Ohhhh and John Wall CnS 3P% of near 38% last season.

Balmer could work out a buyout after the season of John Wall if he opts in on
    that final year which is a player option. If Wall doesn't work out. I expect Wall
    to average about 10 assists a game as a Clipper. Does 20 points and 10 assists
    earn $44M........up for debate?

#526 ApacheWarrior, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    NewAge likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Continue being the dumbfvck you are.

You are the ignoramus who disparaged Harden ad nauseum while he played for the Rockets, that's how much you and your ilk understand the game.

Calling you a moron is an insult to all morons.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This is what I have been looking towards from the day John Wall arrived - they can offer Wall's contract and draft picks for a true star.

(Just an example but a legit one) Imagine Lillard after another year of 2nd round and out ..... he demands a trade and you have the perfect financial vehicle to make it happen in Wall's expiring contract, add picks to that and its a done deal. Instant Contender.

You might not do that deal for a point guard if KPJ blows up .... but there's other big name players that could come available and the same concept applies. Maybe Zion tells NO he wants out ....

After next years draft , you'll have more than enough young players to develop & those picks aren't as useful .... unless they are very early. But if these players do develop .... we'll need veterans to put around them , not more 19 year olds.

#528 Corrosion, Sep 19, 2021
    clos4life and NewAge like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

It all hinges on Wall giving up his player option and resigning an extension.

Clippers have a lost season. Clippers could create additional cap space next season when it matters by moving contracts and resigning Wall to something like 4 year $90 million player option.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Westbrook (20/21):
    Ast: 11.7
    Pts: 22.2
    Ast%: 48.6% (19/20 w/Houston 36% ast%)

Wall (20/21):
    Ast: 6.9
    Pts: 20.6
    Ast%: 36.2

Lakers didn't mind taking on that poor contract of Westbrook.
    Westbrook has the same contract more of less as Wall....Lakers
    will worry about paying AD, LeBron and Westbrook in later years
    when they get to it. Why not the Clippers and Balmer with Wall,
    Kawhi, PG-13?

I don't blame you for your mindset......Tilman has us all trained to think cheap.

Clippers are $169M team salary.....there is only one way to go; putting all chips into the
    center of the table. They will be paying the luxury tax one way or another.

Clippers need someone to compete with Westbrook in that similar role. Reggie Jackson
    and Bledsoe won't cut it.

#530 ApacheWarrior, Sep 19, 2021
    NewAge and D-rock like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You are on the right track ..... But I wouldn't do that deal. Adding an extra year of Porzingis contract moves the timeline back a year ... I'd be content to wait for next offseason when a real star might come available and we can better spend that $30m and not be saddled with an extra year of Porzingis $30m.

Shark44 likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd swap Wall for Porzingas straight up.

In a heartbeat.

Porzingas opens up guard logjam AND adds a dynamic All-Star caliber big.

Porzingas is another LONG ATHLETIC rim protector who can also space the floor. Think of Olynyk with much more upside.

And Porzingas is only 25.

Shark44 likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

My opinion of Porzingis is that he's a dud .... He's failed in NY and failed in Dallas. Odds are he fails here too and at the expense of adding $30m+ to the 2023/24 seasons salary cap which is an absolute NO for me.

Let me explain why:

Not trading Wall and simply allowing his contract to expire -

That offseason Wood , KPJ & Tate are free agents. Their combined cap holds are $24,235,673.
    The Rockets will have only $37,099,965 in salary commitments outside of those cap holds and a salary cap of $121,575,000.

That leaves them with $60,239,362 in cap space to sign free agents before they resign Wood , KPJ & Tate to exceed the cap.

Depending upon years of service , that could equate to two young max free agents while keeping KPJ , Wood , & Tate along with your young guys on rookie contracts from this past draft and the next.

Forget about a big 3 .... You have a big 6.

That scenario doesn't play out the following offseason because you already used that cap space to sign Wood , KPJ & Tate to contracts of actual value rather than their much lower cap holds.

Taking back salary beyond the 2022/23 season is a non starter for me.

14. NewAge

NewAge Member

Problem is Dallas thinks he’s redeemable and won’t trade him. If proves that he’s not, then as you say the Rockets wouldn’t be trading for him. So deal is highly unlikely one way or another…

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Your scenario does not account for either Porzingas or Wood being traded once they've rehabilitated their values.

Porzingas on Mavs is 2nd best player, on Rockets he would be used as 3rd or 4th option.

That is much better role for him.

Trade is longshot anyway, Mavs not trading Wall for Porzingas who is still 25, better player NOW and has more upside than Wall.

16. dmoneybangbang

Because Westbrook has actually been playing for the past several seasons and the Clippers don’t need to compete this season with Kawhi most likely missing the entire season.

Lakers don’t have the ability to skip a season. Clippers would be fools to go for it this season. Why tie up two seasons with Wall’s monster contract? It’s not about being cheap.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Agree about keeping cap space flexibility!

Not sure I agree on Wood/ Tate ever being an all-star level player. I hope so!

As a thought bubble, a 3 way with Dallas where they take back Kennard and we throw in Wood, taking back Porzingis and picks.
    The picks we could later use to dump Porzingis if requires, but he may well rehab his value here? 20pts 9 rbs guy (like Wood), who vanishes in the playoffs - but of course we won't be in the playoffs instantly. With a dynamic scoring backcourt, there may be less pressure on him to do anything, who knows!

Could potentially use the picks as a SnT to bring back a star in the big cap space off-season - send out Porzingis and bring back a young star?

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Partially torn ACL

Ballmer might think differently
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...s-midseason-return-for-star-forward-possible/

Just me; but I was playing pick up games a month after complete tear ACL
    surgery at age 25. But, yo soy loco.

Kawhi, might insist sitting out the entire season. But the 169.6M team salary
    does t give the Clippers a luxury of just taking it up the *** in luxury tax penalties.

Why did Ballmer trade for Bledsoe if not to compete this year?

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  19. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

In no way should we trade Wood for KP...
    KP is more injury prone and has a history of questionable behavior. We don't need that around our young guys...I think Wood, if healthy, is an all star level big. We need to keep guys like that, not trade them away.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Pick up isn’t the same as the NBA. Ballmer said he doesn’t know what will happen with Kawhi and said it will be “up to the doctors and Kawhi” per you link.

Bledsoe doesn’t move the needle and the trade saved $30 million in luxury tax for Ballmer and created a decent trade exception.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ies-patrick-beverley-rajon-rondo-daniel-oturu