1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Texas Governor's Race

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ryan_98, Jul 5, 2021.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Jesse Ventura was basically retired from acting and wrestling at that point and was making most of his notoriety at that point as an interviewee where he’d always have an alternate (dare I say conspiratorial) take on the subject. He was prime at that point to jump in politics like Trump was in 2016 as his tv career was over and all he did was tweet about Obama.

McConauhey on the other hand would be jumping into politics basically in his prime as one of the most sought after actors/spokespersons out there. I think the issue with his poling position right now is that nobody really knows where he stands on the issues (abortion, guns, healthcare). I think people are overlooking the fact that other than the political unknowns the guy is incredibly popular. If MM formulated halfway popular positions, I think he’d clean house where Ventura and Trump sort of got lucky that they ran when they did.

But the primaries will be telling. But if MM formulates popular positions even if he’s bashing the Dems along the way, the Dems should try and ride that tailwind. Given the fact that MM will be running as a change candidate, it’ll be hard to not be focused on changing away from the corrupt Republican Party given that only one party has been running the country since the Dixiecrat years 50 years ago. Tie yourself to the change message early on, and try to ride that wave down ballet.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I hate everyone in this race so far. McConaughey has no business in government. Abbott sucks. West sucks. Beto is okay, be he can't win after that presidential run. Is Dan Patrick going to run? Because he also sucks. How depressing.

B-Bob, T_Man, deb4rockets and 2 others like this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's really bad.

4. dobro1229

We don't really even know who is running as a Democrat though other than Beto. However there's just no way in hell Beto will run unchallenged. No way. The polls will show him as incredibly weak and I'm sure the DNC will make sure better candidates are up. I wouldn't be shocked if Colin Alred is pulled from his Congressional race into the Governor race. A Castro brother might run as well. Both of those guys I think would beat out Beto in the primary IMO.

So I think it's maybe a bit too early, and certainly too early with MM. I just have to think there are too many smart people in the business/entertainment world to get in his ear to tell him it's a really really stupid idea. I'm sure there is a Marvel character he's in line to play at some point soon. He can do pretty much anything on HBO at this point. Plus does he enjoy getting cheered at UT games???... one grid failure and he'll be boo'ed by everyone instead. I just gotta think reason, logic, and personal interests will eventually pull him out.

That being said, if he runs, the Dem field pretty much evaporates, and it'll probably be all about MM vs Abbott.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Hope you're right on MM. I agree with you it's a bad choice for a person more accustomed to admiration. But, that we're hearing how he might run makes me think he's already decided that he will run. He could win too, and he'd probably be less harmful than Abbott or similar. But I'd still rather have a professional in there instead of a narcissist who thinks his success in an unrelated industry somehow means he should be trusted making decisions that impact everyone's actual lives. I'm not likely to get what I want regardless though.

snowconeman22 and dobro1229 like this.
  6. dobro1229

Yeah I don’t think he has any clue what the actual job is and I think he could be setup for calamity. The unfortunate thing is MM will probably realize halfway through his campaign that he needs an experienced team around him and of course that team will not be independent. Then the whole campaign will be about how he’s a secret Dem or a Secret Rino depending on the affiliation of whoever advises him and staffs him up.

Still if it’s him or Abbott I would and I think all Texas Dems would support anything that cleans house of the most corrupt state party in the country except for maybe Alabama. It could also buy a little runway to actually allow Texans to vote at a normal level and one would have to think he cannot do worse than Abbott’s “freedom grid” scam.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

God I hope Beto’s loser ass doesn’t run. I’d still vote for him over the idiot we have, but jebus that guy sucks.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I thought Abbott was Trump's next VP.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't closely follow Texas politics...are there any good Latino candidates?

Seems like a party that throws lip service to appeal more to Latinos should at least prop up as many stars as possible.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

You’d think the Texas Dems would have started getting behind Julian Castro years ago. He was insanely popular as a mayor. But merp.

Hidalgo has a shot in the future, but still too early. I’d like to see her run against that fat coward that flees the state when there’s an emergency Cruz (the guy @MojoMan likes to pleasure himself to while searching the internet for political cartoons he can post with no context) in 2024.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does this move the needle any toward an Abbott upset?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/po...wades-into-Texas-governor-s-race-16332663.php

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Apparently, real Texan conservatives think governor wheels is too liberal. They think he only acts like a conservative at election time.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Eugene Locke should be governor of Texas
    The governor of Texas should be Eugene Locke

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Vote out this worthless Governor!

Border, border border. Meanwhile, he ignores the sick, the mentally ill, and the piss poor funding and action needed to address those in need. Covid, mental illness, and affordable healthcare are on his back burner of priorities.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne..._content=news_a&utm_campaign=HC_MorningReport

HELP ME!': A Texas man begged for aid as his mental health spiraled, but the system failed him. (Story on link above)

Screenshot_20210916-105445.png

Rashmon likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

God. Beto sucks so much. There has to be someone who isn’t a complete p***y that will run.

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

beto running would be the best thing to happen for the abbott campaign. he does 7 points better vs. beto than he does vs. wooderson...and thats with nobody having any idea what woodersons policies would actually be.

even if youre a beto fan you should recognize that he cant win in texas.

18. Buck Turgidson

Who the hell is a "Beto Fan" anymore?

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

MM all the way

Deckard likes this.
  20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yet another indictment of the state Democratic Party.