1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Ugh. Let's rename them FFS.

2. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

B-Bob, Amiga and robbie380 like this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That's where it makes sense.

B-Bob and Amiga like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Can anyone give anymore depth to this story? Is this actually happening or is it just a clickbait story? Are there legitimate production issues with the monoclonal antibodies? Or was the govt blindsided by the speed that the supplies were being drawn down? The states being impacted are saying this is political retribution, but it doesn't seem that way.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/monoclonal-antibodies-covid-19-treatment-florida-texas-states/

Surge in demand for monoclonal antibodies to treat COVID-19 prompts Biden administration to impose new limits

After urging providers for months to ramp up use of monoclonal antibody treatments that could prevent some people with COVID-19 from ending up in the hospital, the Biden administration says a "substantial" surge in demand from a handful of states has forced officials to impose new limits on orders for the drugs.

Seven states — Alabama, Florida, Texas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, and Louisiana — made up 70% of orders for monoclonal antibodies in recent weeks, according to the spokesperson for the Department of Health and Human Services, which manages supplies of the treatments purchased by the federal government. Overall, orders for the drugs since mid-July have climbed 20-fold.

Of those states, only Florida has fully vaccinated more than half of its total population, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The others rank in the bottom 10 states for vaccinations nationwide. All seven rank among the top half of states with the highest rates of daily COVID-19 hospitalizations in recent weeks.

I did see we just agreed to a new large order of MCAs. It's crazy this stuff costs $2100 per dose. Seems like a really good deal for the pharma companies lol.

https://newsroom.regeneron.com/news...nnounces-new-us-government-agreement-purchase

REGENERON ANNOUNCES NEW U.S. GOVERNMENT AGREEMENT TO PURCHASE ADDITIONAL DOSES OF REGEN-COV™ (CASIRIVIMAB AND IMDEVIMAB) ANTIBODY COCKTAIL
    TARRYTOWN, N.Y., Sept. 14, 2021 /PRNewswire/ --

New agreement for 1.4 million doses of REGEN-COV, brings total purchased by the U.S. government to nearly 3 million doses

Under the new agreement, Regeneron will supply an additional 1.4 million 1,200 mg doses of REGEN-COV to the U.S. government by January 31, 2022, at a cost of $2,100 per dose. This new agreement follows two earlier agreements with the U.S. government announced in July 2020 and January 2021.

5. Buck Turgidson

One of the best things that could have happened to the USA would have been Donald Trump and Joe Rogan dying of COVID.

The idiots would have started paying attention at that point.

gifford1967 likes this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. Buck Turgidson

Not a "hot take", whatever that is and whoever that is, just a cynical one.

And I'm not wrong.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That's Rick from Pawn Stars.

I'd say wishing death on people is a hot take lol. I don't even think it's cynical. I just think it's been consistently off base.

Political leaders, celebs, and pop stars telling people to get the vaccine who are skeptical of it hasn't done very much. When people that they might follow push the vaccine on them then they turn on them like Trump getting booed for pushing it.

Black and hispanic people dying at higher rates hasn't made them want to get vaccinated. Don Francisco and Oprah telling them to get vaccinated didn't matter. The Nicki Minaj drama isn't changing minds either.

Trust, people thinking they aren't at risk, and thinking the only risk of covid is death are main the issues from what I see. The people who got vaccinated first did it primarily out of legitimate fear or overestimated fear of covid. That overestimated fear of covid can clearly be seen in polling of the most heavily vaccinated groups under 65. It can even been seen with you and gifford thinking covid is a death sentence. Rogan and Trump both got immediate treatment. Their chances of dying were miniscule.

That fear isn't as strong of a driver in the people who are still unvaccinated, but there was a strong uptick in vaccinations in the red states hard hit by delta when it started sweeping thru. It was just a little bit too late by that point.

Some form of vaccine mandate is probably the way to go, but they need to pay attention to prior infection as well....that's my opinion.

JumpMan and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

The best info in terms of production capacity I could find was this Regeneron CEO saying in a November 2020 interview that the company will have capability to deliver 200k doses a month at the lower 1200mg dosage. The lower dosage was approved in June 2021.

By end of August 2021, Regeneron was shipping 150,000 doses per week.

There probably was a huge stockpile of doses built up during the lull of the pandemic assuming the company produced at 100% capacity since the US government had committed to buy every single dose finished and delivered by June 30th.

So if the demand stays high (150k per week / 600k per month) and the company can only produce 200k per month, then there will be severe shortages once the stockpile runs dry.

robbie380 likes this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Spot on. Well said.

11. gifford1967

Supporting Member

Please show me anything I've written that indicates I think getting COVID is a death sentence.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You liked his post so I figured you had the same sentiment. Didn’t mean to put words into your mouth :D

Joshfast likes this.
  13. gifford1967

Supporting Member

Buck's post didn't equate COVID with a death sentence or indicate an "overestimated" personal fear of death. It's possible to have a reasonable perspective on your own relatively low risk and understand the devastating impact COVID has had for this country. Both Trump and Rogan have a great deal of influence over segments of the population that skew heavily vaccine resistant. Saying that one, or both, of them dying from COVID would be a net positive for the country because it might actually break through the cognitive shell of their moron followers, who are dragging us all down, is not a statement about Trump or Rogan's personal risk of death. It's just a reasonable assessment of the current reality.

14. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Yea, that price is outrageous. The other shocker... the bill I saw for administering that at the local hospital was $15k.

15. lpbman

lpbman Member

Seems like you're making his point for him. Anti-vaxers being told to get vaccinated isn't working, but seeing people taken out by covid does.

"Remdesivir, developed by Gilead, has been in short supply, so the issue of which patients benefit most could be very important for deciding who receives the drug. The authors of the study argue that the difference in mortality rates resulted from the fact that there were fewer patients whose symptoms were more severe at the beginning of the study, resulting in less statistical power. But the benefit appeared much bigger among those who were less sick.

The severity of patients’ illness was rated on a scale of 1 (not hospitalized) to 8 (dead). The lowest score in the study was a 4, denoting hospitalization, but no need for extra oxygen. The largest group of patients scored a 5, meaning they did need oxygen.

Among patients who scored a 4, there was a 38% benefit in the speed of recovery. Among those who scored 5, there was a 47% benefit. But that benefit fell to 20% among those who scored a 6, meaning they were receiving high-flow ventilation, and a decrease of 0.05% among those who scored a 7, meaning they were intubated or on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Until more data are available, doctors and researchers are likely to debate whether to use remdesivir in sicker patients."

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/22...ent-with-remdesivir-and-also-its-limitations/

Remdesivir helps mild cases. Trump and Rogan were just lucky.

For the unlucky, the severe case, the odds of dying after vents and ECMO and whatever, is 30%. For someone with a moderate case the death rate is 2.8%. The overall death rate is 1.6%.... You go to a sold out UT game and a bomb goes off, 1602 people die. If that's a minuscule chance of death to you then I don't know what to say.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If we have to play nice, how about, if Trump would have simply put more effort into promoting the vaccine that he took, it might have had a net positive effect. Instead, he mostly just took credit for the accelerated development of the vaccine. I do acknowledge he has said a few positive things about the vaccine, but c'mon.

Buck Turgidson and gifford1967 like this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol wow that’s obscene.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You are missing the point that they don’t have influence over those people to persuade them to take the vaccine. It’s very evident in the polling data too. Trump has never been vaccine hesitant and has recommended the vaccine for months. The polling is like low single digits with Trump voters about whether him recommending the vaccine would influence them to get it. Yougov has been polling it for awhile.

People gravitate to Rogan because he is an outsider of sorts with non traditional perspectives. He talks about DMT way too much lol that doesn’t make his audience take DMT. You think they have influence but they just don’t. That’s the fundamental point I’m trying to get across.

JumpMan likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

20. Buck Turgidson

I didn't wish death on anybody.

I noted the upside of potential deaths.

What temp is that take?

robbie380 likes this.