1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olajuwon..Why is he never in top 10 goat convo??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Starvela, Sep 17, 2021.

1. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

100% This

BamBam and don grahamleone like this.
  2. sogood.

sogood. Member

There's being a fan and then there's just being straight up delusional.

3. alethios

alethios Member

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I always thought it amazing that Hakeem could play at that level while observing Ramadan. The man had a well of energy that he drew on when he needed to. Always did.

I wish more around here had seen the respect, the admiration, heck, the amazingly positive media coverage the Rockets got once we drafted Sampson and then Olajuwon the next year in the early '80's. We were the anointed dynasty that would take over from the Lakers and the Celtics as our team matured. It looked like we weren't prepared to wait when we knocked off the defending champion Lakers in the 1985/86 Western Conference Finals in Los Angeles, then lost to an incredible Boston team, arguably one of the best in league history, in six.

That was after the consensus, even in the Houston media, was that we'd never make it past LA because we were too young, we weren't ready. Heck, we didn't really have a point guard, thanks to John Lucas being cut loose earlier in the season, thanks to drugs and alcohol. Beating the Lakers and giving Boston a tough series cemented Houston in the mind of the media as a contending team for the next decade.

Had it all not been blown apart with drugs and Sampson's injury, and the Rockets had made several Finals appearances and won a couple of titles, instead of "wandering in the wilderness" during much of Dream's prime, Hakeem would be viewed with a different lens today, in my opinion. What's really frustrating is that it wasn't all hype. For a brief stretch we were that good.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Dream at his peak was MJ in a center's body, therefore he IS the GOAT. IMO

He didn't have the teammates and coaching* that MJ had and played in Houston, so he is generally, as others have said, criminally underrated.

*correction: except for Rudy T obviously, who was brilliant.

#26 ChrisP, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  7. Garner

Garner Member

I’d say he is probably rated by and discussed.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He’s almost always discussed as a candidate for top 10 and usually included.… and just because I saw it commented on the first page, he’s definitely better then Kobe. You could put him in the top 5 and not be laughed at.

peleincubus likes this.
  9. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

This was from Ben who used to post as El Gee in another forum. I respect his analysis as he actually watched film and went in depth.

One thing I disagree with was he weights longevity higher than peak play. (which is partially why he has Kareem is so high over Jordan), until recently values regular season about equal with playoff performance and is heavily impact stats based (why Garnett is so high) Hakeem doesn't have impact stats beyond 97, missing many dominant peak years to compare.

I value peak and longevity equally within reason and playoffs over regular. So basically using similar criteria with different values I have Hakeem as slightly better than Kareem as the GOAT center or #3 all time.

Also ESPN changed staff and had Hakeem #10 in 2016.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank10/all-nbarank-10

With respect to how great he was, Kobe at 9 in 2020 is definitely an appease the fans pick after recent events, ESPN can be more popularity based.

stilldr34amin' likes this.
  10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If Garnett had stayed in Minnesota we wouldn't be talking about his longevity either. He would have been worn down just as quickly as dream was. Winning Defensive player of the year MVP and Finals MVP takes a toll on the body. He played like that every night from the day he was drafted. He just finally got the recognition he earned/ deserved in 93-94. Garnett's career got prolonged by going to boston and getting to play with Ray Allen, Pierce, Rondo, and so forth...

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i'm typically b****in bc he's listed in the back half of the top 10... lol!

Simple truth is that despite his personal greatness, his teams had a lot of mediocre seasons... The guys running Houston sports teams have often been a joke... fire Bum Phillips? I wanted to break my foot off in Bud Adams butt! lol

12. hakeemthagreat

No he's not, stop

13. xaos

xaos Member

Why not?

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

15. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

I never understood why people talk about Top players of all time rather than top positional players. It is simply ridiculous to compare Jordan to Dream when their physical attributes gave them different duties to perform. People often ask which player would you choose to rebuild your franchise is another dumb question because all information about the player is after the fact which simply does not happen in the real world.

Hakeem will always be the top center of all time in my opinion because he showed how good he was against other top centers like Shaq, Ewing, Robinson, etc while being in the top 10 in 5 stat category for a center in a season or multiple seasons.

#35 Magicsaint, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    don grahamleone likes this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

dream is top 3 goat at worst in all of sports. all of sports!

this includes bowling, darts, and poker since they're on espn.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Because he's a big.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Because he played for Houston.

tycoonchip and don grahamleone like this.
  19. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I see it is time for my annual statement. For two magical years, Dream was the best player there ever was.

20. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Garnett was an all time PF but I have Hakeem as better offensively, defensively and much better in the playoffs where Dream got better and Garnett got worse.

But both guys had bad supporting casts and coaching during thier young primes and later had upgrades allowing them team success. I personally don't rank individual players by team based accolades, as it takes all great players having talent around them to be successful, that would be ranking teams imo.

I respect Hakeem more because he won in 94 without an allstar or HOF player and all the others in the top 10 had much better casts during thier primes. None, even Jordan, Kareem or LeBron could win without another all star, GOAT coach or HOF caliber player next to them.