1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

A honeymoon period of 10 years? Again, show me one example of irrational exuberance that has lasted that long, as opposed to people just being wrong.

Yes, they have to sell a ton of cars, they have to keep growing. But no matter how many cars they sell you will never be able to justify their valuation if you are comparing them to legacy auto, completely different profit profile. It’s like judging how much aapl should be worth based on how many phones they sell vs how many Nokia sold.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Nokia sold nearly 500m phones a year at its peak, at the time they were valued at $150b.

Aapl sold less than 200m phones last year. Market cap $2.4T.

Since when did the market ever care about unit sales rather than expected future cash flows? Never.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

This may be how legacy auto finally kill Tesla. Make a spontaneously combusting crappy EV that drags the entire industry through the mud.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

We’re thinking if the taycan. Getting a lot of push from friends to go with Tesla instead what’s y’all take

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

Which TSLA?

7. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

S

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Go test drive both when you get a chance, may need to wait awhile until they have enough S available for test drives

9. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

They don’t even have enough taycan’s, just used which have been marked up like crazy due to the shortage. I went to a couple dealerships barely enough to test drive.

maybe best to wait to get another car.

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Here I am with my RAV4 PHEV feeling comfy. My daily driving is practically all EV yet no range anxiety since I have a hybrid engine.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

yeah unless you really need it, it’s a terrible time to get a car right now. Almost guaranteed that prices will plummet next year

Deckard, B-Bob and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Good point.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I saw a BMW (gas powered) go up in flames in a parking lot today and take 3 cars with it in a Sugarland Town Square parking lot.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That’s a feature on BMW’s. :D

B-Bob likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I’m curious: can the yearly power generation of a solar panel that big match the yearly consumption of 3 EVs in that garage, or 2 or 1? ... used as primary vehicles for the family.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

All car interiors are filled with toxic flame r****dants that do almost no good but expose all of us to nasty chemicals every time we ride anywhere. Especially babies in car seats putting their hands in their mouths. SMDH. But the smoke from a car fire is straight death -- run away from it and pity the firefighters.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

From the supply/demand angle, wait. Along with demand issues, service issues are a big problem too, especially in EV's.

Taycan vs Model S is not an easy call. I get the appeal to the Taycan but I liken it to purchasing one of the first Model S's. Its the cool kid on the block, but it will age quick. Back in 2016, I would have loved to have a Model S, but now I have almost no interest in the S.

I have always viewed Tesla's as a fun gadgety vehicle, but now I am more focused on functionality. Personally I have never been a fan of funding a developing product like the Roadster, early Model S and Taycan. Also I will not consider an EV unless it has a big emphasis on OTA software updates. I have been largely disappointed in clunky infotainment systems found in almost every ICE vehicle i've been in.

Ante up and get the Plaid.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Unless you absolutely need a car, just wait. This is probably the worst time to be buying a new or used car. Everything is overpriced thanks to the semiconductor shortages and people bidding up vehicles out of sheer stupid. There are cases out there of people paying more for a used car than new models of the same car because either they don't do any research or are just that desperate for a vehicle due to shortages. It's nuts. lol.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

If you want to charge your EV with solar you need a stationary battery. The solar charges the stationary battery during the day while the sun is out, then the stationary storage charges the EV at night. In terms of cost though between the EV, solar panels and stationary storage, its not going to be economical. But all three of those things are on a steep downward cost curve so eventually one day it will be the solution for sustainable transport. In that particular picture though it’s a Bolt and doubtful they have a Tesla stationary storage to pair with the solar, so most of the solar production is going to be wasted during the day while the residents are out at work, the solar won’t be used to charge the EV.

20. lpbman

lpbman Member

That size array would give you about 50,000 miles per year, divided between 3 cars, 16k. Assumes same amount of cloud cover and temperature I get, assumes south facing 350w panels, and the same efficiency as my inverters. Doesn't include the losses of charging the car itself. If you're using a hybrid system like a powerwall, you've got another layer of losses similar to the losses from charging the car itself.