1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ShamesBomb: John Wall on his way to leave…?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Landry's Tooth

Not necessarily... if a team has players who are overpaid too but several of them then we can swap and do buyouts on the smaller deals.

There's value in moving Wall somewhere he wants to go. It makes your management look like they respect player's wishes. Could make landing free agency a little easier...

If we take back similar money for 1 or 2 years, what difference is it to us? They are contracts for us and the play of the player is irrelevant.

2. dmoneybangbang

We need wings and I've liked the Bridges, both Mikal and Miles. Most likely won't be available, but they could be potentially out there looming or someone else. It's just an option with Wall's contract and our plethora of picks.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  3. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Is there a chance we trade him, give up an asset, then he Chris-pauls it and becomes an asset worthy of pulling in an asset?

Jontro and eliefor3 like this.
  4. HROZ

HROZ Member

We are not giving up an asset.
    We buy him out in the offseason if he agrees to give back $10 mill plus

Considering he's coming back from the worst injury. He's done really well. It's not his fault Durant is superhuman and made people forget it takes time to recover.

5. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yeah, Kennard is an uninspiring return, although I must admit I haven’t watched enough of him play. what I’ve seen is an excellent shooter, decent mobility and IQ… If Stone thinks he’s just another Novak/Troy Daniels/Wijter type, then yeah he’s way overpaid. I mean he has Armoni and Hurt for 1/10 of that guy’s salary.

Is there more to him? I mean the guy was drafted 12th, Duke pedigree… OTOH his classmate Grayson, a similarly great shooter, just got dumped by Memphis for nothing…

6. Fantasma Negro

Wall is going to have to take a buyout

7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is it possible for Wall to opt out of the final year of his contract, find team willing to sign him, then have the Rockets do a sign-and-trade with that team? That would make sense, but I’m not sure if the Rockets would still hold rights if he opts out.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Breaking John Wall huge contract into 3 contracts the Rockets can trade all 3, 1 by 1, Clippers are interesting.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

isnt Stone a Wall Street guy?

can’t he find a way to split up Walls deal like they do stock?

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So I guess Wall is planning on just sitting out the entire year? That's odd.

D-rock likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You can't get hurt (thereby wrecking your value/market) if you don't play lol

Wall sits out until the Rockets can find a trade. If Stone can't, he basically makes $90 over the next two years sitting on his ass and enter free agency to grab a vet minimum contract somewhere.

Rockets tell him to stay home because they need playing time for their young players as they don't need distractions from Wall and his camp.

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Odd thing to say about a player who ruptured his Achilles due to a slip-and-fall at home.

alethios, D-rock, Easy and 5 others like this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The Commander will find a way.

This would be unprecedented though, right? I can't recall this ever happening. And I feel like this is worse than Jimmy/AD/Harden forcing their way out; they all at least played in some games. This is a guy saying I am not coming at all - it just so happens that he sucks enough that the Rockets don't want him around either. Still, his refusal to play is more egregious than what others have done.

I get it and I'm glad it's happening. If we're gonna have an inefficient, shot-happy PG who loses us games I'd much rather it be KPJ than Wall. It's just odd, is all.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

he needs to grow a beard and come into the season fett af.

16. steddinotayto

Oh lawd how did i forget that ??? lol good call.

17. steddinotayto

Yea it definitely would be a first of sorts if it plays out like that but this is also the same organization that traded not for one, not for two, but three of the highest paid point guards in the history of the NBA and this is also the same guy that, like you and @Houston77 pointed out, can get hurt in critical ways no where near a basketball court.

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think it’s worse because it’s mutually beneficial. The Rockets don’t want him taking playing time and he doesn’t want to play on a rebuilding team.

All these people talking about how classy Wall is for taking this approach are missing what’s really going on.

Wall is a sunk cost for the Rockets. They owe him $90m over two years whether they play him or not. They think it’s more beneficial not to play him. Normally, you trade someone in that position, but there are no trades available.

if the Rockets cut him, they still owe him $90m, so there is no point in that. So the Rockets will let Wall sit and he can’t say a word because of his player option. If he starts grumbling the retort is “then opt out of your last year if you are unhappy.”

The Rockets will hold onto him this year and hold out hope for that 0.5% chance of a trade for the next year. I think they are hoping Wall will blink and opt out. If not they look for a trade as an expiring next year and then look into the buyout. There’s really no reason to do anything else right now. I doesn’t make any sense to buy him out this year at a number higher than this year’s contract is worth.

And Wall has no choice but to go along with it.

Haymitch, D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  19. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Nothing to see here. Crappy article.