1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Marvel Movie] Shang-Chi

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 4, 2018.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Saw two movies this year with Asian leading men.

All my life and The Sun Is Also a Star.

In both movies, they could have had the main character be another race and have it still work.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I agree that marketing this as some sort of Asian empowerment was kind of dumb. I really enjoyed the movie. Just make a good movie and focus on whatever ethnic/cultural background stuff that you want to focus on. We don't need to be told that it is some sort of Asian representation bs thing for marketing. It was a good story and I just enjoyed it.

This movie doesn't focus on all "Asians" either. It is Chinese in focus. China isn't all of Asia. The marketing was dumb, but the movie was enjoyable. Hopefully, Marvel just stops with the check a box marketing and keeps making good movies.

TexasTofu and Slyonebluejay like this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have little interest in seeing a character that "acts white" but is not white.
    There has to be some nuance in them that is representative of their culture. . .esp in long term series
    To put a non white character into a spot and act like their are white or their ethnicity is invisible . .. bothers me.
    I don't need Will Smith screaming. . I'M BLACK!!!
    but I don't need him walking into a klan rally and everyone is cool with it either
    I get that it should not be the focus. .. . but it should matter

Pandering is ok to an extent . . .esp when the alternative is ignoring
    I liked this movie
    I loved Black Panther

Honestly. . .some of the things I loved most were outside of the story
    (Costuming was RIDICULOUSLY GOOD IN Black Panther )
    The Lore .. . tHe Richness of the scenes . . .etc. . . .

I mean . .. how many different versions of Middle Earth . . .aka Midievel Europe have we had
    Show me some Asian Dragons!!

Rocket River

Entropy, pasox2 and DreamShook like this.
  4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

movie was fire AF.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Call me old school but I wasn't planning on watching this in the theater but then I realized...****ing Tony Leung is in this movie. When will I get a chance to watch this legendary actor from my most impressionable years on the big screen. It was the same way with Jackie Chan and it was the same way with Donnie Yen. It very much felt like an asian drama movie but with marvel humor sprinkled in. Some for the better and some for the worse. Tony was great. He was the highlight of the movie for me but I might have been biased but he did not disappoint. Being that the movie was asian drama lite to me, some things I felt were missing. If this was Asian cinema, they probably would have shown the tragedy. Simu would have had to really show his acting chops. The revenge scenes would have been more graphic and we would have gotten to see Tony really go all out. There was a lot of Mandarin spoken in this which I enjoyed, but wish they would have just kept to it at the end. They already committed in the beginning. Why not end with it on a strong note. Overall I enjoyed it more than Black Widow and I'm curious to see how Shang Chi ties into the MCU but as a stand alone flick, it was above average but the storyline did feel a little handcuffed.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I pretty much agree, Believe these films are more than necessary, but they won't change too much. Because, many of these type of films have been seen, before. Though, not promoted, like Disney/MCU movies, it's a platform that has already been presented. Like, Black Panther, Shang Chi is put more onto an international scale and on the higher end of Hollywood production. It's still a Disney movie, and as you say still does not really change people's perceptions about Asian people/cultures. I agree, completely with your last two paragraphs.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I was sick as a dog all last week so I finally saw it tonight.

Chinese propaganda piece about the dangers of Western influence.

tinman and Jontro like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

:(

I likely won't see it inside a theater, so my b****ing about propaganda will have to wait for another month...

VanityHalfBlack and B-Bob like this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. Xerobull

Good movie, not great. Middle of the road MCU origin story. Plot was cohesive so it was better than Captain Marvel but not better than Black Panther.

Liked:
    Shang-Chi
    Chinese Wonder Woman (Shang-Chi's Sister)
    Michelle Yeoh
    Ben Kingsley
    Death Dealer
    Chinese mythical creatures
    Giant Bamboo Forest
    Temple dogs

Disliked:
    Awkwafina (her voice -shudder- reminds me of Miley Cyrus, who I find disgusting)
    Shang-Chi's Father
    Razorfist

My two cents:
    • The action was good, but the story and emotional investment were flat. I didn't care when Shang's mother died. I didn't care when his father died. I was more attached to Kevin than those important characters.

[*]There was no real climax in the fighting or battles. Just fight then win or lose.

[*]Who/why the big bad Cthulu Dragon? I don't know. They didn't tell us. Oh, he sucks souls.

[*]How did Shang gain control of the rings? He just did. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[*]Why was Awkwafina so important? Meh, because. And were they together at the end? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[*]Death Dealer- awesome character who was super fast and fought like a demon! Big showdow....nah, soul sucked and dead.

[*]Old archery guy, super cool, expected some next level ****....soul sucked, dead.

[*]The fantasy creatures just hung out in packs like they were in a zoo. Borrring.

[*]Awkwafina really couldn't speak Chinese? She's third generation Chinese-American, her family speaks Chinese at home. Make an effort.

[*]Razorfist, potentially cool character, reduced to a punchline (which I did laugh at). He was also the guy who always talked to the boss, which wasn't really explained.

[*]I was expecting more out of the post-credit scenes, although I did like how Shang's sister took over the 10 Rings instead of dismantling it.

[*]The rings themselves were really underwhelming. In the comics they each did different things. In the movie? Martial arts weapons. Although the fireball was cool.

I am looking forward to seeing more of Shang in the MCU. He was cool and Simu Liu did a great job. But I can do without a sequel, no need.

I am curious- do you think that they filmed scenes with all Chinese for the Chinese-speaking market?

Jontro and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Simu upset someone and now his post history is out.. uh oh.

Simu was out here wildin in his reddit days.. oh boy. Marvel didn't go deep enough in this guys past. I dont think we will be seeing him in anything for a while, lol

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

wat he do?

Ziggy likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

15. Invisible Fan

Given how he completely caved working with Marky Marky after calling him out as a nobody years before...and not even making a burner for his ugly reddit posts...

Who said all Asians were smart?

Jerry Lin warming up from the bench, throwing 3 hail marys for his next 15 mins.

Jontro likes this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I spent about 3 minutes trying to figure out what he did, but I couldn't figure it out. All I'm left with is thinking people have too much time on their hands.

edit...i spent another 3 minutes trying to figure it out and i still couldn't

VanityHalfBlack and Jontro like this.
  17. Xerobull

Here's the real career killer: TLDR: this person (who may be doxxed as Liu) claims that they researched pedophilia, it's genetic so pedos can't help themselves, just like being gay is genetic and gay people can't help themselves, basically saying both are genetic disorders. He also says that if you like barely legal stuff you're a pedophile anyway, so we should just cut child molesters some slack.

Twitter with 'proof':

Yet another example of people thinking the internet is a great place to muse unfiltered and getting burned for it. Idiot.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm not going to burn him at the stake just yet. Is there something that is pointing this as being from Simu other than "I'm a Canadian actor"? I don't know the guy's filmography enough to know if he ever played a pedophile on screen.

19. Xerobull

Somewhere in that original link that username says 'Liu here'

Obviously could all be bullshit. I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater either. Even if it is him, it could just be a young man trying to figure out the universe but doing it in a public forum. Young guys say stupid ****. (Old guys say even dumber ****, too) At this point, it's not enough for me to boycott movies.

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Like you I, too, am surprised that Disney/MCU didn't do a better job of vetting this out....or maybe this did and decided to move on with Simu? They basically fired James Gunn past tweets but then faced backlash from fans and their GotG cast so...are they hoping the same kind of fandom/defense will be high enough to keep Simu if all of this is true?