1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun & Wood

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HROZ, Sep 15, 2021.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Fit wise Alperen Sengun and Christian Wood can be a Formidable Front court.

They can play off each other, both can create their shot, Sengun can really Pass like a Point Center and Post Up, Wood can shoot 3s and Shot Block.

Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

KPJ/Green/KMJ/Sengun/Wood is the polar opposite of the smallball crap they tried all those years. I get it, it definitely CAN work, and worked for the Warriors, etc, etc. But its really hard to do absent a dude like Draymond... and even more important to me, the league has moved on from that a bit to BIGS, that can just do stuff smalls can do anyways, so you're get that offensively while still being big defensively.

But yeah you can rotate Tate in, you can get Jaygup in. If they all turn into real players there's legit potential there, on both sides of the ball. Even Jalen wasn't as bad as i thought he could be in summer league. Sure, still just summer league, but very encouraging that Jalen and Sengun were both better than advertised defensively even if not amazing.

NewAge, burlesk, rhee and 3 others like this.
  3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Wtf are you talking about.

4. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Ahh my bad I thought okc had our pick in 23 but it's 24

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if you love tanking so much to get the promising young talent why not just straight up trade for all that talent right now and not lose 5 years in the process...these promising young, championship winning studs are available now to everybody and available on the cheap ..simmons, fultz, okafor, wiggins, jabbary parker, anthony bennet.... anyone can have them now lolololololololol

NewAge likes this.
  6. larsv8

Sorry bud, you are coming across as incoherent.

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  7. edwardc

edwardc Member

I would rather see them go to the basket more than shoot 3s.

8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

We should listen to offers for Wood because he’s under contract for two seasons, while we likely won’t be a good team until at earliest the 23-24 season. So of course we will move him for a deal that makes us better in 2023 and beyond.

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Christian Wood should be kept right now

If the team struggles for 2 years, I think the Rockets will look to trade Christian Wood.

It really depends on Jalen Green, KPJ, Sengun, JC, KJ Martin Jr, Usman Garuba on their Development and Team Wins.

If Rockets play well and get the 7th or 8th seed in 2 years, I think the Rockets will try to keep Christian Wood.

burlesk likes this.
  10. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I heard Brad Miller converted to Islam and then developed hands of stone like Asik. I guess he's no good now?

PS: It's an inside joke concerning DD.

Easy likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Depends on their defense, but Sengun has looked formidable and Wood may benefit from being part of a team defense that doesn't break down as frequently as last season.

burlesk likes this.
  12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I feel like you are missing somebody there.

That one guy made the Sixers a free agent destination, and a destination for players wanting to get traded to the Sixers because the guy you left out happened to play there.

Hopefully Green is that guy for the Rockets but there is a chance he maybe isn’t because of injury or whatever. That’s why rebuilds are over multiple years… like the Sixers who I believe modeled their rebuild on the Sonics/Thunder rebuild. The Sixers didn’t luck out and get 3 mvps in 5 years but they did get 1, and even in that worse case scenario, the Sixers still are contenders.

So yes… the process works… even when the process mostly doesn’t work (Okafor, Fultz, etc).

#52 dobro1229, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol they were never the true contenders... just hyped up pretenders, never had a real chance...
    btw MVP award is a FRAUD and a biggest scam

so they tanked 5 years to get what?
    1(ONE) single second round triumph(lololololol) and
    1 single valuable player that is sooo injury prone, so much so, that he is never healthy and they are one single injury away from tanking for another 5 years and we all know injury happens even to the healthiest let alone to an injury prone guy like him

so how does exactly the process work?(if you need to tank 10 years and still dont get the job done)

meanwhile a player they got rid of in the beggining has won his ring this year( and the gold medal) - Jrue Holiday and was the key cog in both instances
    SMH SMH what a debacle...

when will people learn to lose games on purpose is not a smart idea...theres no substitute for winning, and losing is opposite of winning... you can not win by losing by definition...

NewAge likes this.
  14. HeyBudLetsParty

The way I see it is the Rockets are banking on Green being a cornerstone and are going to give Wood and KPJ every chance to prove they can be the complementary stars in a contending team. That’s the ideal situation because it would really only be 2 years of developing before they would be ready to pop off. If not I hope we’ll be able to flip Wood for younger pieces or a premier pick.

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I really like the big rotation of Wood, Theis and Sengun. That will be a fun group to watch after the small ball crap we've endured for years. Each has a different, but complimentary set of skills that should make us competitive.

Let's give Wood a chance to see if he can stay healthy and show what he's truly capable of. If someone blows us away with an offer before the trade deadline then you consider it, if not stay the course. While he can be an attractive trade piece, he could also be a cornerstone of our rebuild.

Our trade focus needs to be finding new homes for Wall, Gordon and House.

burlesk, hakeem94 and rockets1995 like this.
  16. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Then add Garuba after he figures out his offensive role...

Shark44 and hakeem94 like this.
  17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Absolutely! I think he should get some G-League minutes early to work on his offense and then come back. If he could do the KMJ rotation, where he saw some time with Rockets then went to Gleague and back, i think that would be ideal.

burlesk likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What is the right deal ?

More picks ? Probably mid to late if you are getting picks in return for Wood ....

Doubtful a team gives you a young player with equal potential in return , they are trading for Wood to pair him with that guy ....

There comes a point where you have more than enough picks & young talent that you have to develop it and see if it works as a unit.

Its expected that this team is close to the bottom again and as a result picking early in the draft to add another quality prospect.

At that point , at least looking at things as they stand now , that's more than enough youth .... its time to put some mature pieces around them rather than more 19 year olds that need seasoning.

They'll have 3 #1 picks in 2023 .... and no real need for them on an already young team. You are probably better off not picking three players in that draft but using them to either bring back a high quality veteran , move up in that draft or push them into the future.

So back to the topic of Wood - the 20/10 37% 3 point shooting bird in hand ..... what is the right deal ?

I'm not so sure that right deal is out there to be had.

sydmill and groovemachine like this.
  19. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

100% this whenever i see people wanting to trade Wood.

Unless its a no brainer trade. You keep him. Max him if you have to. Someone will pay $30m+ for him if you have to trade him later, he has the skillsets teams like. We just highlighted him more last year for the rest of the league to see.

groovemachine likes this.
  20. larsv8

Christian Wood is going to spend the next two years of his career on THE or close to THE worst team in the league. Every night opposing players are going to be recruiting him and it will be toxic sooner rather than later.

You'll spend months wondering if he is going to resign and at what cost, and left completely at his whim, and he ultimately he most likely bolts to Miami or wherever in two years.

You like Wood, you can sign him back in free agency, but right now, he needs to go.