1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

It's not my job to educate anyone reading this on the nuances of what the drug does. I'm not giving medical advice and don't need to make disclaimers. The fact I made was for those that keep associating Ivermectin ONLY AS A HORSE DEWORMER, when that is actually a lie by omission of what I stated.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reminds me of a President we once had who spread false information and blatant lies about Covid. He had to be voted out to be removed from his duties. People like that should never be in a position where their misinformation ends up putting people in their graves, especially hundreds of thousands of them.

Invisible Fan and cheke64 like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Gioan Baotixita

Intubate bro.:)

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It is an anti-parasitic drug, which up until recently was most widely used for livestock. Is that wrong?

There is a possibility it could have some therapeutic benefits for COVID-19 patients, but the studies done thus far don't provide strong evidence for this, and apparently disprove some of the more sensationalist claims of ivermectin as a miracle cure. If it turns out that ivermectin, like hydroxychloroquine before it, is a dud when it comes to COVID-19 treatment or prevention, then people pushing ivermectin as a legitimate alternative to vaccines are doing a great disservice to public health.

dobro1229 likes this.
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's funny to me that the people pushing an unproven method such as Ivermectin are the same people that won't take the vaccine because they (falsely) claim it's unproven.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The big question is why the hell do you care if people insult the dewormer anti parasite drug? I mean did your grandpa invent it during the Vietnam war to treat military K9’s or something?

I mean you can use Preparation H to treat eczema too but nobody gets worked up like you are if they call it anal suppositories.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  10. FANfrom86toNow

Where are the studies that you have read that show what you are saying? I don't mean articles claiming what you said, but the actual studies that prove this? I don't think they exist actually.

And I don't know if it has been given to animals more than the 3.7 billlion people it's been given to. That wasn't my point because those are also two different versions of a drug, one for humans and one for animals.

I don't think Dr. Varon is pushing Ivermectin as a legitimate alternative to vaccines as you mention that some people are doing. But if it also turns out, as you used as your premise, that it is a prevention as well as a very good therapeutic, after "more trials" are done, then many lives would have been lost because all of the people are who making fun of this human drug for parasites. So BOTH scenarios are very big IFs.

11. FANfrom86toNow

I'm not sure you why you are grouping all people who won't take the vaccine into the category of claiming it's unproven. There are many people who already don't take any vaccines for things such as religious beliefs or medical reasons why they can't have them. People should stop making them feel guilty as if they caused the start of the virus or are still trying to kill people because they won't take the vaccine. That's not the way a healthy democracy operates.

Gioan Baotixita likes this.
  12. FANfrom86toNow

I do care about government over reach, lying, misinformation, public policy and other things. Sorry, call me a concerned citizen. I'm not worked up about it, I simply provided some evidence that it is being mislabeled on purpose to drive a narrative, and I personally don't think that's productive to the issues at hand for all of us.

The real question is why are you worked up enough about me saying what the truth is about it to make this post?

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

LOL. That's like 1 percent of the people not getting the vaccines. The rest have a medical condition called stupidity.

Reeko and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. FANfrom86toNow

Anyway i'm probably done with this thread as most here just want to argue and ridicule people instead of have intelligent conversations. I guess that's what D&D is all about. I'm really more on this forum as a Rocket's fan, not a promoter or spokesman for anything else. I just throw in my 2 cents every now and again if I feel like it.

Everyone have a blessed day and try to be happy in your lives, whether you are vaccinated or not, Republican, Democrat, Independent or even non active in politics. We are all human being first and I believe in freedom of choice for the most part. Unless you raid the capitol, that's different.

Gioan Baotixita and B-Bob like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...enol-tums-to-get-religious-vaccine-exemption/

jchu14 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. durvasa

I made two claims: the studies done thus far don't (1) provide strong evidence for [therapeutic benefits], and (2) apparently disprove some of the more sensationalist claims of ivermectin as a miracle cure. For (1), I think it's not for me to prove, but for you to bring forward studies that do provide that strong evidence (and aren't called into question by other experts in the field -- I'm not an expert, so I'd have very low confidence in my personal ability to assess the quality of the work). The second claim follows from the fact that if ivermectin was the miracle cure it is touted to be, the evidence for its efficacy would be overwhelmingly clear, and high quality, RCTs would show that. That's not been the case:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2777389

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD015017.pub2/full

OK.

Well, no, because we already know that vaccines are very effective. I said IF ivermectin turns out to be a dud, people who today are urging people to take it as an alternative to what is known to be effective will have done a huge disservice to public health. If it turns out that ivermectin actually is as great as they are touting, well good for them. But that doesn't mean, based on the evidence we have today, it is rational to tell people to take ivermectin instead of getting vaccinated.

#8556 durvasa, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  17. FANfrom86toNow

I'll just leave this here. Take it with a grain of salt. I'm not promoting anything. I just hate to see people so dismissive of everything regarding alternatives for people that don't want to follow their choices. It could all be true, it could all be wrong.

Disclaimer: I'm not a scientist or medical doctor, nor is this endorsement for any medical condition or treatment.

https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/SUMMARY-OF-THE-EVIDENCE-BASE-FINAL.pdf

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pace of shipments has to do with the speed of them. It doesn't have to do with the amount given to areas.

Sometimes the meaning of words really do matter. I can't believe somebody saw this and thought they had a real 'gotcha' moment.

I also beleive that sending allocations where they are most in demand is a wise strategy.

cdastros and Deckard like this.
  20. durvasa

“But demand from a handful of southern states has exploded since then, state and federal officials said, raising concerns they were consuming a disproportionate amount of the national supply. Seven states — Texas, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana and Alabama — accounted for 70 percent of all orders in early September.

The imbalance prompted an effort to rein in control of supplies, over concerns that the government wouldn’t have enough on hand to respond to Covid-19 surges elsewhere in the country.“

jchu14 and FranchiseBlade like this.