1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ShamesBomb: John Wall on his way to leave…?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

would you rather make 45M for a year, or 60M over 3?

2. SRR21

SRR21 Member

nba players do not think this way when after 30unless your a current superstar its about the guaranteed money. 60m is 15 mil more than a 9 to 5 job. Chris Paul has opted out of the final year of his contract 44.2mil. If klutch can secure a 2 yr 55mil or a 3 yr 60 mil Wall would opt out as well.

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

John is still relatively young even with all the injuries he's had. Yeah, he is going to be 32 and 33 next year. It's likely that if he is able to get out of Houston this year or next, that he will be able to play himself into a Derrick Rose type of contract.

It makes zero sense for John to give up any money UNLESS he is truly desperate to play ball. I'd go ahead and collect the checks for now.

4. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Chris Paul has opted out of the final year of his contract 44.2mil. If klutch can secure a 2 yr 55mil or a 3 yr 60 mil Wall would opt out as well.

Easy likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

John Wall Trade Unlikely To Materialize Until Next Offseason

The Houston Rockets and John Wall have agreed to seek a mutually beneficial trade and that he will remain around the team but not play in any games in the meantime.

Wall is owed $91.7 million over two years on his contract.

"I never say never in the NBA," said Zach Lowe. We've seen these mega contracts traded for each other. I just don't see a trade here and so I don't really know what happens other than we wait a really long time and then there's a buyout."

"I think it's hurry up and wait until next summer," said MacMahon. "I think that's what ends up happening."

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I see your point and I don't necessarily disagree. It is unlikely that he will decline the player option. I wouldn't if I were him.

But I do think that it is not impossible. [insert Jim Carrey's pic] Nobody thought CP3, also an injury prone player, would not pick up his player option either. But he did. He had a fantastic season and voila he is now making more money. I think the Suns will soon regret it, though.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I cringe at the mention of Chris Paul because his season with the Suns was historic; the team went from running on the mediocre treadmill to being 2 wins away from the championship. Whether people give him most, all, or some of the credit for Phoenix's turnaround no one can argue that his impact on that franchise was monumental. That being said, Phoenix had no choice but to re-sign Chris Paul and thereby giving him another contract. Sarver and the Suns clearly did not want to roll the dice by not bringing Paul back and seeing all of their success, possibly, wipe out. That cost of that would have been higher than what they gave Paul as an extension.

Back to John Wall...if he's using Chris Paul as the blueprint on how to secure a hefty extension then maybe you're right on the level of intelligence (or lack therof) Wall has. I mean I would be jumping for joy if he wanted to decline his player option and be a free agent next summer. Whoever is telling him that he has a better pathway to get to the Chris Paul / Kyle Lowry pay day than ending up as an Isaiah Thomas / Dennis Schroder / Reggie Jackson cautionary tale is definitely good with their words.

D-rock and Easy like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wall is not young and most people see him as past his prime. What kind of contract is he going to get two years from now after the player option year? Hard to tell. He may get nothing, or he may get another 60M for another 3 years. It depends on how healthy he is and how much he can still produce. If he thinks entering FA one year sooner gives him better chances of landing a good long term contract, he may consider. (I don't think he should. But it's not my money.)

9. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

As I’m sure it’s been said in this thread many times before me, I just really don’t see a trade getting done that’s “mutually beneficial”.

We take on a **** contract of even longer length to get him off the books and he goes to a solid destination or we send out assets to send him to a less than desirable place (and likely gets moved a year later for positive assets ala Russ/CP).

There is no in between.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol at passing on trading Wall to the Clippers over Kennard at 3/40

Kennard averaged 16/4/4 on good shooting just a year ago for the Pistons, even though he didn’t get many minutes with the Clips he still shot the ball very efficiently when he got minutes. With the way shooters get paid every FA, with him being 25 and a decent passer, how much is he overpaid really at 13.5 mill per? Like 5 mill at max? So maybe 15 mill overpaid over the next 3 years?

Meanwhile, John Wall making 46 mill per over the next 2 years, overpaid by at least 60 million

Little Bit, Y2JT and steddinotayto like this.
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Chris Paul is 36 years old and he helped lead a young team to an improbable finals run. This is not an apples to apples comparison and it is not very likely that John Wall in some other team will have similar success. In fact, I would compare him more to Derrick Rose type of success, which is why I believe a contract like that would be attainable for John AFTER his current deal expires.

12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I am thinking give me 45 for a year bc and I will show you I am still the 45 mill player or close to it and then I will get more then 60 over next 3

13. awc713

awc713 Member

I like Kennard…good ball player. I would think he could fit well with this team too and didn’t foresee his contract being an impediment from moving off Wall. I trust Stone but wow.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd rather keep the cap space for two max players in 2023 than have find a way to trade Kennard to get it. If Stone and Silas thought Kennard was a great fit with this team they'd have traded for him.

I'd rather just sign the guys we want.

Corrosion, Y2JT and red5rocket like this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think this report/rumor is fake. Let's say the Clippers are willing to send us Kennard, Ibaka, Bledsoe (salaries all work out) for Wall. Ibaka is most likely bought out. That leaves Bledsoe and Kennard left on the roster and you keep both until some other team wants them. At $18 and $13 million, respectively, Bledsoe and Kennard would be easier to move than an entire $45 million cap figure. Kennard would be useful on this rebuilding team and Bledsoe can probably be convinced to a buy out.

luckyman76 and NewAge like this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Assuming we are going to be attracting 2 maxes by 2023 is a hell of an assumption firstly, 2nd, trading a 1 year 14 mill expiring contract shouldn’t be hard. In fact, I’d be surprised if Kennard wasn’t nuetral value by the deadline playing on a team like the Rockets where he could pump his numbers up.

I’d easily trade Wall to the Clips for any package they could possibly send, without hesitation

luckyman76, NewAge and pippendagimp like this.
  17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

18. Landry's Tooth

Moving Wall is easier with multiple teams. Most teams don't have 40+ million in contracts that are irrelevant to them winning and less than 2 years left.

You move Wall to a team like the Clippers and a player with long money like Kennard is getting routed to a team with an overpaid player out of their rotation needing a buyout...

The goal is to take back smaller deals 2 years or less you can buyout or flip at the deadline...

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Who knows what Wall is thinking and he may change his mind. Maybe Wall will prefer security in the league (a theoretical Clippers' multi year extension) over a his player option by the deadline. Or maybe John Wall will gamble he will make more by declining his option and resigning. Or maybe he's fine not playing, making +$90, and letting the cards fall where they fall.

Personally, I think if he wanted to gamble on himself he would have done so already. I think a buyout next summer is most likely, as McMahon reported.

Easy likes this.
  20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

If the Rockets trade for Luke Kennard I would trade him back to Detroit.

Krispyflakes misses Luke.