1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will KPjr put up 20 & 10 this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 31, 2021.

?

Will KPjr put up 20 & 10 this year?

1. Yes

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Yeah, soon…34 days left, but not 20pt, 10rbn…instead that should be 20pt + 10ast

coachbadlee likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

20 points and 10 assists....

Is really pretty hard.

Trae hasn't done it. Luka hasn't done it. Chris Paul only did it twice, his 3rd/4th years in the league.

It's a ridiculous high bar...

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Very true, but CP3 has never been a prolific scorer. He’s had more than 10 assists 6 times and more than 9 assists 5 additional times.

still, not expecting 20 and 10 from Kpj this year.

if he averages 19 and 7 I think it will be a very good season and he could turn into a perennial 20-10 guy. With Wall not playing he very well could average closer to 10 assists, as he will be the primary ball handler. And, hopefully, he will be throwing lobs to Wood and Green all season.

clos4life, hakeem94 and coachbadlee like this.
  4. fattz

fattz Member

John Wall is paid like he is because he has accomplished 20/10.

#184 fattz, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    clos4life and hakeem94 like this.
  5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

22 and 6 is more likely in my opinion. Not that I don't think he is a good passer but just don't see the outside threats for him to get all those assists.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

I'm fine with him at 16-18 PPG as long as he is scoring efficiently, creating opportunities for others, and working on his defense.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think he'll just be extremely close something like 19 and 8+.

More interested in his efficiency and defense to be honest. He's already proven he can put up points if given a lot of shots.

clos4life, cmlmel77, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and KMJ

Kevooooo and fattz like this.
  9. mightybosstone

I think Porter will have his best season as a pro. But to answer OP's question, I don't think it's likely he'll average 20 and 10. Consider that in 26 games last year, he topped 10 assists only four times.

Also consider that this is the first season he'll be starting as the team's point guard and that he's playing on a roster with other guys who are going to dominate possessions consistently in Green and Wood.

I don't think he gets to either mark, but the 10 assists feels especially unlikely. I'd be thrilled with a simple 18 and 7 season where he shot the 3 better, improved on his scoring efficiency and cut down on his turnovers.

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

The fact Jalen is good on and off the ball makes this possible. He should be ran off screens constantly for easy mid ranges. He likes those.

NewAge and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He should get plenty of easy assists dishing to Wood inside and if Green can knock down catch and shoot 3's, 10 assists per game is very possible since he'll be the primary ball handler when he's on the court.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If he averages 10 assists per game, he will be the MIP hands down. It’s pretty far fetched that this will happen his first year as the primary PG on a team. I personally think he is a future all-star, but not this year.

NewAge likes this.
  13. mightybosstone

Let me put the likelihood of KPJ getting 10 assists a different way. In the last four seasons, only three players have reached that mark: Harden, Westbrook and Lebron.

Three future first-ballot Hall of Famers with over a decade in the league who boast absurdly high usage rates and were the dominant focal points of their offenses.

I understand wanting to be optimistic for the kid, but let's set some realistic expectations for his first full season as a starting point guard. Getting double digit assists for a full year is a damn hard thing to do.

14. fattz

fattz Member

Gordon & Brooks should make it easier for him as well

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'm excited to see how the team comes out of Camp and what rotations we'll see in the early going. Porter got a taste of being the lead last year. It looks like that fueled him to work hard this off-season. With Wall stepping aside, he now has the opportunity to be our PG now and for the foreseeable future.

I'm not as worried about stats as seeing him accept the leadership challenge and grow as a man/player. If he gives us his best on both sides of the ball, cuts down on turnover/mistakes, and embraces his role as the QB of the offense then I'll be extremely happy with his performance this season.

He's got the physical gifts to be great, its harnessing the mental, emotional and leadership aspects of his role that will determine what he achieves. I'm certainly cheering for the young man and can't wait to see him play this year (esp after Wall news).

NewAge and Plowman like this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah but that CP3 wasn’t a prolific scorer is as much about him being a prolific passer as his scoring abilities. Chris Paul could have put up 20 ppg for 10 straight years no problem.

the issue is to be both a prolific scorer and prolific passer isn’t just hard… it’s not necessarily super beneficial either.

the most prolific guy doing this in the last 40 years is clearly Russ. But you actually don’t want him doing it.

im not saying it has to be choose one or the other. If KPJ wants to give us 20/10 on 60% ts% and strong assist/turnover ratio while the rest of the team feels involved and gets theirs…. Great!

but if he’s not going to be super efficient or has too many turnovers or too high a usage cause he’s “trying” to do that, hard pass. Give me 25/7 or 18/11 instead of it’s more efficient.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

In the last 4 seasons, I think only about 3 or 4 people have averaged 10 assists for the season... Lebron, Westbrook, Wall, and Harden. That's just assists. If Green gets buckets as advertised and stays healthy, maybe KPJ can hit that, but getting 20 and 10 ain't easy. Also keep in mind, they'll have Wood and Green on the team looking to possibly score, so KPJ would have to get his 20 with them.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In the final 10 games he played, he averaged 19 and 6 playing almost exclusively with g league talent. Meaning defenses could focus on him exclusively and he had nothing but scrubs out there to help him.

Give him guys like Wood and Green to make assists easier for him and I think it boosts his numbers significantly.... both scoring and assists.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m so stoked for the KPJ-Green-Tate backcourt. KPJ the facilitator, Green the scorer, and Tate the glue/D guy. Gonna be fun to watch.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Averaging 10 assists per game is just nuts. It would be incredible if he averaged 18 and 8.

hakeem94 likes this.