1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ShamesBomb: John Wall on his way to leave…?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Sep 14, 2021.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I disagree. Teams shouldn’t be allowed to double dip on buyouts, by allowing them to use a portion of the buyout for salary-matching purposes, later

when a contract is waived and closed, it’s dead, so don’t allow it to be traded again.

unless, ofc, you like the idea of making it easier for player buyouts to occur and become even more common.

imo, this is no different than disallowing the trading of retired player contracts, that still have years left.

#301 heypartner, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    CVcrew and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. NewAge

NewAge Member

Well in this situation it actually disincentivices a byouot. Instead of buying out Wall you can trade him for the Griffin buyout. You end up with one buyout instead of two. You facilitate trades you don’t facilitate buyouts.

3. TimDuncanDonaut

It's a game of what-if. If it was Russ here instead of Wall. The Russ/Dipo/Woods combo could have still given us the bottom losing record. Russ could have been a tank commander also.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, I'm torn. There are Pros and Cons to this move.

Pros

1) value increase
    2) more wins

Cons

1) possible injury
    2) take away KPJ and Green
    3) out of site, out of mind (no value)

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, lulz

Wall isn’t being bought out, but this allows a buyout to grease it. What you’re suggestion (using dead contracts) allows Griffin’s buyout money to facilitate moving a bad contract. That will just make buyouts less painful

it’s like rewarding a buyout with a TPE.

really, really bad idea

#305 heypartner, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    jordnnnn and BigggReddd like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Broussard is a moron but I'd do this trade too.

mikol13 and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think we're pretty fortunate though. I didn't expect he'd want to sit possibly the entire year, not sure when it's ever happened where a player was prepared to sit an entire year. Guys will do it close to the trade deadline sure, but just possibly the entire year?

Maybe he overestimates his own value though and think there's a line of teams that want him and he'll be out of there before game 1...still, I think we are fortunate that Wall wants to sit himself out.

alethios, hakeem94 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

Russ plays a lot more games. John Wall's best feature for 2020 season was his lack of availability.

xtruroyaltyx and SamFisher like this.
  9. Landry's Tooth

I'm not sure about that. The issue will be defense and the addition of Theis and a healthy Wood should help to hide some of the shortcomings...

Remember, a lot of what went into last season's worst record involved injuries, roster turnover, and tanking...

Unless those will all be present again it's hard to not see 40 wins...

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

In other news, water is wet? We’ve likely been looking for trade partners for Wall for a while. I guess the exciting news is that he’s not playing and we’ll be able to give those minutes to our youngsters.

if we part with significant rebuilding assets I’m going to erupt in anger.

CriscoKidd likes this.
  11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Even if that were legal, John Wall would have to agree to it. I seriously doubt that Wall would willingly give up a single penny if he's not being traded or bought out. Nor should he.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If Westbrook was a Rocket last year OKC would have our 11th pick and Jalen Green would be on Cleveland. Since I’m thinking Green is a big star, trading for Wall wasn’t such a bad move after all.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. thekad

thekad Member

Wall isn’t going anywhere unless the Clippers get desperate.

IvanLCPM, mikol13, GotGame15 and 2 others like this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’d rather not just sit him and waste 40 mil space (if we can’t find a deal)

yeah yeah , he’s a tank commander , but does he really have ZERO knowledge he can pass on .

he can play a bit . He looked athletic . If he gets back timing at the rim he’s a good player .

guys will miss time . HE will miss time . I thought there’d be mins for him , kpj , and green .

if we can get something for him without giving up too much I’d love to move him . But , just sitting out seems lame

D-rock likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What if John Wall was given the opportunity to run the bench unit for Houston and he said he didnt want to come off the bench?

hakeem94, D-rock and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

that’s an interesting point . Personally I would start him (not as a result of the convo , just because I think he should) . He will get hurt soon enough and you’ll have plenty of reps for the other guys .

if he doesn’t wanna come off the bench and Silas wanted him running the bench idk what I’d do . Maybe force him to anyways... If he’s gonna play lackluster on the floor everyone else will see that .

He’s got this current money locked up . What does Wall want ? Another contract in the future ? For him to have respect around the nba as a player ?

It seems like the situation is amicable. Wall did a good job being a team and organization first guy for us last year . I think it’s weird not to play him at all . He seems like he’d be willing to take on a lesser role , especially given what he’s making

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I know that Silas was high on Wall, it would appear that some of this may be coming from Stone. With the new draft picks and the existing young players on roster you have to know what you have as soon as possible so that you can start to trim and tailor the roster you foresee as being a contender. Playing John Wall only extends that process longer than necessary. You already know what you have in John Wall and he isnt in the long term plans for this team - at least not as the "franchise" type player he himself thought he was while taking minutes away from the youngsters. I'd be fine with Wall of the bench, but I dont think he is ok with that.

Shedding Gordon will be the next item up for bids.

cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Sounds like they plan to get him moved pretty fast.

Also my guess is that Wall was probably told he was not guaranteed to start. If wall had gotten beat out by KPJ and Green that would lower his value even more.

Makes sense to preserve his health and value to try to get him moved.

GotGame15, Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.