1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. General Mark Milley guilty of treason?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Sep 14, 2021.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its nowhere close to treason, not even indirectly.

Putting your country first is being a patriot.

This guy was protecting his country from a treasonous party and will be remembered as he should, a hero.

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Ah yes, the Colonel Jessup defense.

"You're damn right I violated the chain of command!"

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Can't wait for public hearings on this with all key witnesses. I'm sure you're giddy also. But boy oh boy it's going to be a nice popcorn flock to see people under oath testify how unhinged the last president was in his last days.

4. TheresTheDagger

I find it interesting you find it interesting.

5. Commodore

Trump is the first president not to start a war since Carter.

Nook and Astrodome like this.
  6. fchowd0311

Trump did more drone strikes in his first two years in office than Obama's 8 years and then ended Obama's executive order that publicly listed drone strike casualties.

Civilian casualties went up in Afghanistan under Trump. Trump also praised torture and killing the families of terrorists.

Your line is vapid. It's empty. It has no real meaning behind it besides some campaign slogan.

Nook and Blatz like this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes, absolutely.

A very principled former army lieutenant colonel who listened in to the call between Trump and the President of Ukraine and testified he has no doubt that Trump was asking the President of Ukraine to investigate the Bidens in order to have a meeting at the White House. In other words, Trump was corrupt as hell and used the power of the office to get another leader to publicly investigate the Bidens for his political benefits.

Deckard likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Man, the days after Trump realized he lost and after 1/6/21 must have been nutz. The people around him and working for national security clearly were extremely concerned about the mental decline of Trump, so much so that they took these extraordinary acts.

This isn't such a surprise to those that pay attention. Right after 1/6/21, there were reports that those high-ranking national security officials were scrambling to figure out how to keep Trump from inciting more violence at home, from spilling secrets, and from even starting some conflicts.

Whatever your view of Trump, you should realize that Trump is insane and should never again be POTUS.

#48 Amiga, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    ROCKSS likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He was the 2nd president, after Carter, to have high ranking officials so concern about the state of the POTUS mind that they apparently told others to interrupted the nuclear chain of command.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Assuming the book is true, and that author has a history of getting it right...

The fact that Trump didn't start a war with China is not relevant. What's relevant is the military and senior officials were so concerned with the POTUS that they did this.

What's also relevant to this nation is he is still the leader of the Republican party. He should be pushed aside. This frankly is more troublesome than anything, that a party and a nation could again put this insane person in the WH.

As for Milley's action
    - Telling China that if we attack them, China would get a notice... argh, that's gone too far in my book
    - Telling China to cool it, nothing is going to happen is normal and just backchannel regular stuff between military heads
    - Interrupting the nuclear chain of command... argh, that's not allowed (yes, the nuclear chain of command needs to change)

As for the defense of Milley's action
    - It was an unpreceded situation. 1/6/21 just happened and our "enemies" were apparently concerned an insane unstable POTUS might seek out an attack. The people around him realized he is unhinged, unstable but refused to do what the Constitution allow them to do - call upon the 25th amendment to put an end to the danger. Milley can't just sit around like he could with a President that isn't insane. Whatever anyone feel about his actions, none of this is necessary if American elected a President that isn't unstable.

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

LOL

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If anybody is guilty of treason its Trump who had a bloodthirsty mob storm the Capitol and try to murder members of Congress and the ****ing cowards who encouraged him (Hawley, Cruz) and the ****ing cowards in his cabinet who resisted the 25th amendment (all) or blocked impeachment (Moscow Mitch)

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just another PERFECT phone call.

DD

Blatz likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I brought this up back in 2016 that Trump starting a war and or using nukes was very very unlikely because that there were people within the military and executive branch that likely would step up and stop him. Something very similar happened during Watergate when Kissinger told the military that any orders they got from the President regarding use of nuclear weapons needed to go through him first. Kissinger as Secretary of state was in no position to give such an order but the Joint Chiefs agreed to it given how worried many were about Nixon's state of mind. That Milley and others took these type of actions for what they saw as an unhinged President was what I was expecting and I would expect with any other President where there is a strong fear could be acting irrationally.

Gen. Milley like Kissinger according to the chain of command shouldn't be able to countermand orders from the President or run a shadow foreign policy. The one are would be if it's clearly an illegal order but given that Trump actually never issued an order to attack the PRC and or use nukes I'm not sure how that defense works under Military Jusitice if Milley was court-martialed. To be clear I'm not saying that Gen Milley should be court martialed just from my layman's understanding what he did violated the chain of command.

I agree with Col. Vindman that a military officer going against civilian leadership in general isn't a good thing. While I can understand why Milley did what he did this shouldn't be standard practice and we're on very dangerous grounds if military officers regularly decide to go against the judgement of elected civilian leadership.

Overall I think Gen. Milley did the right thing and acted according to what he saw as his duty to the Constitution and safety of the US. How he did it though was very questionable. I agree we need hearings on this and need to get more facts about what happened including hearing from him directly.

Nook, Deckard, Amiga and 1 other person like this.
  15. Commodore

if accurate, a general saying “If we’re going to attack, I’m going to call you ahead of time. It’s not going to be a surprise" is black-and-white treason

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What I like is that all of the Trump supporters that are complaining about this, are implicitly admitting that they believe this and therefore it follows that they believe everything in Woodward's 3 books about Trump. Surely, they wouldn't pick and choose what they believe - would they?

mdrowe00, Nook, Deckard and 4 others like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I explicitly said that I don't believe this happened.

19. fchowd0311

Good luck with that.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Grow up.

You have inched and crawled to an indefensible position.

This is how radicalization happens. Slow and steady rationalization for every new crazy step taken.

You need to reevaluate your life.

Deckard likes this.