1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ocasio-Cortez tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is Sarandon one level below Streisand or two? Can't remember the 2nd wave fem hierarchy.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is some rocky horror show

3. SuraGotMadHops

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I never actually understand the joke where someone rich is absolutely taxed more. I know jokes are often ruined if you explain them but can you please explain it?

And in the grand scheme of things AOC is not rich. I think a lot of people are confused about what is considered rich, in this context and in my opinion... it's not the DINKs with a BMW and Audi and 750k-1.5m house and a 2nd res on the shore or a lake, or the software dev pulling in 250k. It's the guy with a 1$ salary but a 25m bonus if the company stock hits the mark. Or the guys with businesses claiming a loss in the US while a subsidiary with 2 employees in Ireland makes billions in profits. Or the HFT based fund owner that front runs to scrape billions out of retirement funds so they can have two yachts and a new Ferrari every other month.

Look at how capital gains works. Most wealthy people don't get taxed on salary income but capital gains. And look at the capital gains rate compared to income tax rates. The top bracket for capital gains is 20% for brackets of 500 grand and greater. 20% is the rate for income that is around 50 grand. That means someone who had 50 mil in capital gains for a fiscal year is getting taxed the same rate as a household making 50 grand in income.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

In 2021, a single filer making $50,000 per year would pay about $4,600 in federal income tax, or 9.2%

7. fchowd0311

Yes we all know what marginal brackets are. Capital gains is also marginal.

8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

She is rich with booty. I would tax it.

9. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She is rich with idiocy. Would hit it until she started talking.

Fantasma Negro and IBTL like this.
  10. fchowd0311

I bet she's more educated than you and could explain her positions in a more coherent naunced manner than you. And no I don't think she's some intellectual expert in economics. Almost none of our politicians are.

#2490 fchowd0311, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This seems to confirm what the AOC obsession is about.

cheke64 and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If by that you mean those so obssesed with her looks that vote for, support or put this moron on a pedestal who comes up with brilliant ideas like saving the USPS by all of us getting a pen pal to write......

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#2493 Os Trigonum, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  14. fchowd0311

Lol some serious stretching here. So the MET is a public entity therefore it's legal to recieve free tickets from them.

But the argument by this right wing think tank is that since a private party curated the guest list, it's a private entity event know?

Man I wish people used that matter in between their ears more often. Literally any event held by a public entity is going to have some form of private entity involved such as catering.

Man what a ****ing stretch. OS falling for click bait not even reading the article. Because man I hope you didn't becausw if you did and couldn't figure out the absurd stretch here, that says a lot about yourself.

15. fchowd0311

And?

Yes we know the right wing is obsessed with her.

cheke64, IBTL and dobro1229 like this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

The crush they have on her is downright creepy.
    They are really scared of her and see her as some force.

To see them melt on her and her 'power' is weird. Especially since her power is fringe and shes not that hot. I think they are the type of dude that likes a chick to tell them whats up.

If anything go for some quality like Hidalgo or the chick in Michigan. I like Ivanka ..so what own it and stop being a bi*tch ..aoc is funny..she constantly trolls and these dudes lap it up..

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Interesting how we have moved the bar. Owning a million dollar house is no longer rich. You're only rich if you make gains equal to 100+ people.

Im not trying to spin this in any specific direction. 250k salary is indeed very wealthy, no matter which way you spin it. Outside of housing costs, this same developer is largely paying the same price of goods as the person making 40k.
    "Taxing the rich" is not a solution when the issue is the massive amounts of corruption Americans tolerate.

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Trickle down? Because that works so well!! woo hoo

Phillyrocket and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. fchowd0311

Well I think you are addressing this from an angle of bad faith. "The rich" in this case is being addressed due to tax avoidance and an unfair tax system for people who generate their wealth through capital gains, and not salaries income. Wealthy salaried employees who generate most of their wealth through salary rather than capital gains are not the major culprits of tax avoidance.

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2021/06/15/a-former-irs-heads-plan-to-fix-the-tax-gap

I suggest you listen/read the interview with former IRS cheifs. They discuss how every fiscal year, about half a trillion dollars in tax revenue is lost due to tax avoidance by these types of people primarily due to the multiple decade attack on IRS funding that results in the IRS only having the resources to audit simple tax audits which is going to be only the regular people who generate money through salaried income. The ultra wealthy have far more complicated tax filings that require far more resources to audit.

Also, another point where I think this is coming from bad faith. Why do you believe this is the only prong of the solution for AOC? Do you think she's never addressed issues like the revolving door, corporate lobbying and campaign donations?

Is she advocating for taxing the rich here as her only solution?

It seems like she also addresses government waste in spending.

Also another point where I think this is coming from abad faith angle is that when do the likes of AOC and Bernie criticize 250 grand salaries income professionals like senior software engineers? That was never part of their rhetoric. So it essentially attacking a strawman when you say "so now we are moving goal posts about who is rich?"

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

1. There were Republican politicians at the gala too. Not sure if they received free tickets.

2. The right has this branding gimmick where they refer to Democrats, AOC especially, as communists, knowing the 65% of their audience is dumb enough to eat it right up. But then they're quick to call her a hypocrite? Instead of acknowledging there is no real attack on capitalism?