1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do not trade for Simmons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Sep 14, 2021.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

He is 25, that’s not young anymore. He will never learn how to shoot.

The bottom line is you won’t succeed with Simmons being the primary ballhandler, but he is a net negative without the ball.

And he still has 4 years left in his contract. I personally think he will be out of the league soon. You want no part of that contract.

This is the type of move that could destroy a franchise.

DeBeards, Ramo$e, Corrosion and 13 others like this.
  2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wrong. Again, someone's going to steal this guy while he breaks out playing the 3 - 5. He's been misused in Philly. Take him away from Embiid & give him the paint.

3. futilman

futilman Member

^100%. This all comes down to price. If we get him and lose Wall plus some small assets, that is a win all around. We have 2 years of useless Wall to look forward to right now. I would so much rather have 4 years of Simmons as our 3rd offensive option (4th if Sengun comes around quickly).

With KPJ and JG at 1-2, perimeter defense will be a huge issue in the near term and Simmons could help carry that end. His versatility at 3-5 fits perfectly given all the options we have at 1-3. Starting lineup would have playmakers at 4 positions (5 if Sengun is on). And think of the size at 3-4-5. Would be incredible.

OP could not be more wrong.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

1st off, I hope this thread wasn’t made because people actually think John Wall could fetch Ben Simmons in a trade. As low as his value is right now, it is still not in Wall’s league, so people can cut that out.

2nd, Ben Simmons being out of the league soon is a dumb statement.

3rd, why we shouldn’t want Ben Simmons is a topic that has been beaten to death. This topic been dead. This is like coming back almost a year later to shoot at a dead body. OP didn’t bring any new info to the table. It’s all been said by many people for many months.

5. Rockets4Life13

While i agree that he’d be an amazing Center in a system that tries to outpace the opponent, I’m not sure if he the type of guy willing to play this role. He wants the spotlight more than he wants winning. I’ve always hated players like this. They never end up contributing meaningfully because they simply don’t care enough.

NBA season are long and exhausting, especially if you go deep into the playoffs. It requires a significant amount of willpower to be at your best for the whole playoffs.
    Skillwise i think he still has a lot of untapped potential, i just don’t think he wants it badly enough.

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Small Forward, Power Forward, Small Ball Center should be Ben Simmons positions. The offense needs 4 shooters around Ben Simmons.

Ben Simmons strength is playing Small Ball Center, this is where the League is going, he ant shoot might as well play as a Center.

D-rock likes this.
  7. icewill36

icewill36 Member

if im going to overpay for a player id much rather it be simmons than wall.

simmons contract will be easier to move if need be because he will still be under 30 for the duration of it, and there is still the chance he decides he wants to shut people up and becomes more aggressive. he doesn't even need to shoot, he just has to be take it to the basket more. with his size, playmaking, and defense he will be a huge impact player if he does that.

wall is just washed. he can be a good sixth man type somewhere if he can stay healthy.

markelliott1997, D-rock and amaru like this.
  8. Chamillionaire

Stick to posting tweets OP. Get in where you fit in.

double d, D-rock and amaru like this.
  9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I am intrigued by a Simmons/Garuba combination at center.

10. HROZ

HROZ Member

Wood & Gordon
    For Simmons

Wonder if the Sixers go for that.
    I think I'm in.

Think I'd throw In house & still be in.

Lloyd Estacio and Trackwell like this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BINGO!

as long as he is not your PG . . .I think he can thrive
    Get John Lucas on him with the Free throws. . . say a good 70%

Rocket River

BigShasta, D-rock and amaru like this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Daryl Morey was our GM for how many years ?
    Morey would make a Morey move

Simmons for Wall is not Morey like

13. Denovo

Denovo Member

I’d be happy if Ben Simmons’ name was never mentioned on here again

14. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Why is everybody so anxious to make long term commitments to players who will help us get knocked out of the 6th or 7th seed every year? We just retooled with one of the youngest team's we've had in 20 years, and people want to compete immediately. Let's see what we have before we surround them with 100 million dollar contracts.

15. amaru

amaru Member

A 25 year old all star player and a DPOY candidate has one very disappointing post season run and suddenly he’s not even NBA caliber in some fans eyes. Holy overreaction Batman!

I don’t think Simmons is the answer to the Rockets problems but the criticism of him is going overboard. Hell he’s underrated at this point.

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Simmons at Center.

Have 97 year old Carrol Dawson train him.

17. pass_to_Hakeem

Sorry man but if he was willing to play the 3-4 , he would fit in great with Porter / Green & Wood (25)….

I think he would be much better posting and finding shots down low ad opposed to bringing the ball up trying to find his offense. I’d trade Wall for him (if that were an option)

Space City, Plowman and alleyoop like this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have Dwight Howard teach him how to shoot at the free throw line

double d, Plowman, tycoonchip and 4 others like this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

KPJr, Green, Simmons, Wood, TurkWhoWorks/Theis

I think that team wins 40 games

Rocket River

D-rock and alleyoop like this.
  20. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Does anyone understand that we are trying to tank? Doesn't anyone here trust the process? Tank so we can get a ben simmons type player just like Philly did.