1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Everything I've been reading is that even while more productive, he will get less per year and a shorter contract because of his age. Of course I'm not sure if those sites have been updated recently.

I've thought if that were true, he would fit into the Astros contract structure and time frame well. He might be available for that 5 - $125M deal they were offering Correa before the season. I can't see them going higher than 7 years - $210M for Correa and that probably won't cut it.

#681 Marshall Bryant, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Milos likes this.
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think HE thinks that. I'd just hate for him to be disappointed and do a Keuchel on us and not sign until after the season starts, causing us to lose the comp pick.

vince and Bregatron like this.
  3. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

You too? What year if you don't mind me asking.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I started fall 75- Spring 76 Lamar Lib Arts
    SS at A&M Meteorology
    Fall 76-Spring 78 UH (Cougar Guard) Hotel & Restaurant Mgt / Chem Eng
    Fall 78-Fall 80 Lamar Energy Resources Mgt.

#684 Marshall Bryant, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  5. vince

vince Member

As someone noted, he’s not a 5 tool player, simply because Carlos is lacking in blazing speed. As a shortstop, he’s as good as advertised, with plenty of room for improvement.

So if a team was going to splurge on one major star, Carlos Correa could be that dude!

I think so many teams are so afraid of THE albatross contracts, that certain clubs can’t financially sustain a blackhole financially on the payroll and stay competitive.

So I get the Astros being hesitant, as Carlos has had a LOT of lingering injuries throughout his young but now veteran MLB career.

I’m just glad the Astros selected Carlos over Buxton, because up until this point in their careers, Carlos has been a bonafide difference maker. But Buxton may surprise us, as he started the season on a tear before another injury derailed his promising season.

As a side note, it’s because of Carlos giving the Astros a below slot deal, that the Astros even had money to sign McCullers, who was seen as a hard signee to begin with.

joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

His speed is maybe the least exceptional but he's above average . It just doesn't show much because as a club we don't steal bases and the SS position relies more on anticipation and quickness more than blinding speed. That being said, how often does Correa get caught on the bases? It doesn't happen very often. He can get to the bases he needs to get to with relative ease.

7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

8. Cinder Guard

Cinder Guard Member

My prediction is that the Astros keep Correa, and accomplish that task without the top bid. The obvious landing spots that have been talked about are NY and LA. I know money talks, but enough to put up with that hostility over the cheating scandal from both the fanbase and teammates for the rest of your career? I think if the Astros could come within $20-30 million of the top offer, he'd choose a more friendly environment and keep the core group together. The hostility lessens to some degree with other franchises, and he could very well end up playing for another team. But with the cheating scandal still very much a sensitive and viral topic, I think we're in a unique position to keep him here on a team-friendly contract where we normally wouldn't be able to.

Htown Stros and RayRay10 like this.
  9. HeyBudLetsParty

idk why state tax isn’t considered more especially considering the income levels he’s at, he’d better probably be saving between 3-5 million annually playing in Texas instead of NY or Cali.

IowaAstro and RayRay10 like this.
  10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I see the Marlins as being a dark-horse candidate for Correa. That's a young team looking to make moves in a mediocre division, he fits the culture of the city perfectly, he would step in and immediately be the team leader and locker room voice, and he'd get the large market and flashiness he obviously loves.

noppeper and vince like this.
  11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Agreed, the Marlins are an interesting fit if they are willing to spend the $$$. They have an exciting young core including Jazz Chisholm, Jesus Sanchez, Trevor Rogers, Sixto Sanchez and a few others (Lewin Diaz, Bryan De La Cruz). Pitching needs to take a step forward, but they play in the weakest division in baseball, so it's not impossible. Adding Correa would be like how the Suns added Chris Paul. Although Correa is 10 years younger than Paul.

12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I think there is a real chance he comes back here on a 2 for $60M type deal...

Just dont think the market is going to be good to him given there is already a limited number of teams willing to take on a $300M type contract and add that to there being so many great SS free agents? Just don't see it happening...

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He's going to get a big offer from somewhere. Mariners, Rangers, Phillies, Yankees, Angels, Cubs, and Nationals could all spend on a big contract and could use a stud SS.

jim1961 likes this.
  14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

15. the shark

the shark Member

After the Yankees get bounced in the WC (or they don't even make the playoffs) they'll do what they always do and that's throw major $$ to try and fix what's broken.

I have no doubt they'll throw a 10 yr/300 million offer to him (at least). Not saying he's going to accept it but it's sure going to set the bar for other teams to beat.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

How many $30m per year guys can they afford? They already have Cole and Stanton and will soon need to pay Judge.

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The Dodgers have Betts, Kershaw, and Bauer. Yankees could carry a 300 million dollar payroll every year and still make money.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Yep and we have Grienke, JV, and Altuve though two are gone after this year. Amazing these contracts are. Still even the Yankees and Dodgers are not going to go $250-$300m and hit those huge luxury tax penalties.

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

New CBA so luxury tax rules may change drastically. I think players will fight to have draft pick compensation removed from the luxury tax equation. If that happens the Dodgers and Yankees will be way more willing to go over the tax. They print money....

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

To be fair, they probably won't have to pay Bauer for much longer.

awc713 likes this.