1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

A lot of this could end up being totally untrue because of the pending CBA negotiations. What if team control is dropped from 6 years to 5? The Astros window becomes shorter. What if they do it based on age and Framber is a free agent in 2 years instead of being under control for 4 years? What if they put in a minimum payroll that forces teams like the Astros to pay more of their tv deal to small market teams to cover that minimum salary and now the Astros can't spend as much?

The Astros don't even know how much they can spend this offseason.....

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Seager is Correa with worse defense and just as bad of an injury history.

Why in the hell would those 2 be in the same ballpark.

vince and YOLO like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

It's that lame LAD jersey and his mvp accolade last year

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I find it unlikely the union will concede to widespread salary changes (without a lengthy work stoppage)... and I also find it hard to believe that the Astros will be against extending 'anybody', even if team control is shortened.

And if there happens to be a crunch in the controllable young pitching, even more reason to try and optimize Bregman/Altuve's remaining years of elite baseball, along with Tucker/Alvarez entering their possible prime years.

Teams can (and should) get out of long term deals via trade if the player continues to be productive and the team needs to rebuild/reload.

#665 Nick, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  6. the shark

the shark Member

Thoughts on what Semien may potentially be getting? Having a huge season.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

5-6 years

22-25 million per year

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

vince likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

At this point, I think we should give him the long contract and front load it by paying home 35 million a year for the first 4 or 5 years and give him an opt out at the end of the front loaded portion.

vince and Nick like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Whoever Correa signs with, even if its the Astros, they should be all over an early opt out. 10 year deals for players that haven't hit 30 yet do stifle earning potential. JD Drew was a very mediocre/oft-injured player... and he was still somehow able to get two very sizable pay days via an opt out. Meanwhile Biggio/Bagwell signed basically just one big deal each and that was it.

11. vince

vince Member

If this is Correas last run with the Astros, it has been a great career for the Astros. I’d hate to lose Correa, but the type of salary he’s going to command can be spread over a lot of the up an coming talent that themselves will need to get paid.

If everyone gets paid what the market dictates, then we’d be looking at impossible payroll with the revenue the Astros have. A very real opportunity cost for any major salary to the superstar players.

If Correa signs for the Astros at a reasonable contract, it would be epic; but I think Carlos knows this is his big opportunity to get that possible 300 million dollar contract.

What type of contract do y’all thin Correa will command and ultimately sign?

I’m thinking 10 year 300 million dollar contract.

12. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

I think he gets more than Lindor

vince likes this.
  13. rockbox

I'm thinking 30-35 million a year. The length is the only question at this point.

vince likes this.
  14. rockbox

Hypothetical question. Let's say Correa goes HAM in the playoffs again and wins us another world series. Do we write him a blank check at that point?

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

My problem with saying if he gets “this much” I’m ok with him leaving

Is that he has proven over and over he can perform on baseballs biggest stage. He is a legit difference maker in October

Htown Stros and Radricky like this.
  16. vince

vince Member

True, but theoretically a team can’t pay everyone what they’ll command in the open market. As players succeed and become viable MLB players, their salaries will increase accordingly, hence everyone is going to deserve a raise eventually, if they pan out!

The question is what method is preferable, putting all your eggs in one basket or spreading those eggs into different baskets?

Carlos Correa is the face of hope of that tear down to rebuild project, that was the 2011 Houston Astros, yielding the #1 pick in 2012. I’m partial towards him, but can that money be better invested in the upcoming talent?

Carlos boasts elite defense and superior offense at the SS position. Hence one could argue if someone is going to splurge, Carlos might be that player to do so on

But I can most definitely see the other side of the coin to that election.

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Nope.

Correa having a good year made it less likely he returns not more likely...

jim1961 likes this.
  18. The Beard

I would much rather splurge on Correa and just understand that down the road it will likely cost me Tucker and some of the young pitchers when they come due

If we keep developing talented young arms it can work (yes I know that isn’t easy)

vince likes this.
  19. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

20. The Beard

I think it helps. At the end of the day Crane makes this decision, and putting on another ring, and an FU ring at that, would certainly make olé Jim think about upping that offer