1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ShamesBomb: John Wall on his way to leave…?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Sep 14, 2021.

1. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Don't see it happening. I see an inevitable buy out. Tilman is about to raise food prices $3

DeBeards, amaru and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Low blow

Andre0087 likes this.
  3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This is awesome as long as we don't give up assets to move him. In his situation it doesn't matter how long it takes. If he's cool with sitting out so be it

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

So LAC are out right? So who could we possibly unload him to?

5. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

I think most of us a would be okay with the growing plans as long as they can keep these kids together.

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I'm not sure if we're gonna cut him, but I think this is a necessary first step in ridding ourselves of Wall. He will have to give up something at some point if he really wants out. I'm just glad he's not going to try to turn this into his team.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

What kind of return will the Rockets be looking for?

Kelly Iko, Rockets beat writer: You could honestly see a Wall return in two lenses. Because of Houston’s position as a rebuilding team, the natural immediate answer is young players that are in need of development. But that’s not always the case, nor should it be here.

The Rockets could also look to add veteran voices to round out the locker room, those that aren’t yearning for contender positions like Wall would be. The $91.7 million remaining on his contract assumes that any deal should involve at least two other teams, so the Rockets should be looking to take back any pieces that will contribute to the rebuild, whether on or off the floor.

Where could Wall end up?

Zach Harper, NBA writer: Without a buyout coming for Wall, finding him a new home becomes extremely difficult. He makes $44 million, which means you have to send out a lot of money in contracts (and likely a lot of players) just to make it logistically work.

The only team left with significant cap space is OKC (roughly $21 million). If they cleared out old cap holds (Nick Collison and Raymond Felton included), they could approach $34 million. That means Derrick Favors and cap space gets it done.

But in order to play with OKC, you need to send picks. And even then, Wall doesn’t want to play in OKC. He may need to suck it up and take the buyout option, regardless of where he ends up.

What will the Rockets lose when they move Wall?

Iko: Houston is losing a strong voice, leadership and an expert playmaker. They lose a helping hand for coach Stephen Silas as well as a mentor for the younger players on the team.

Green and Porter are the future backcourt of this franchise, but having Wall around has its perks. Both Green and Porter are still in the early stages of becoming full-time initiators, something that comes almost second nature to Wall.

His expertise and experience will be missed around the team when he’s eventually traded, leaving that in the hands of the coaching staff and front office.

Y2JT and don grahamleone like this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That's about 10 games less than I expected we'd see John Wall in this year which was 10 more than I wanted to see him in.

The only thing that stinks about this is it would have been a good thing if he came out early on and played well enough the first few games to get more interest. I just don't see anyone in their right minds trading for the guy unless the Rockets shower them with draft picks which I want no part of. My guess is the Rockets really do want a sweetheart buyout deal, and he's not taking the bait so they think he'll get fed up around Christmas, and take the bait later on to join Brooklyn or the Lakers.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

At the trade deadline, they can just cut him if they can't trade him. They’ll have to eat the last year & change of the massive contract to do it, but that may be better than having this unhappy vet around impressionable young players. They may have to do it to protect their culture.

#91 TEXNIFICENT, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I am definitely celebrating too early, but I'm gonna keep celebrating anyway. Houston Rockets 2021 Offseason Champs!

13. Jalen Green OnlyFan

[​IMG]

14. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Tilly probably put that in his contact.
    Under "general services".

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

How in the hell did we not trade him to Spain for Marc Gasol @DaDakota

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this. precisely this.

one missed opportunity after another. damn you raffy

hakeem94 and ElPigto like this.
  17. conquistador#11

Will the Rockets continue the tradition of sending their players to good franchises and not condemn them for all eternity?

18. Nook

Nook Member

As far as moving John Wall, it will likely be to a team that he likes because he has a 15% trade kicker he can exercise and likely block deals.... he is owed $92,000,000 over the next couple of years and a 15% trade kicker is enormous. So that is likely why the Rockets will "work" with Wall to move him... which really means that Wall's agent will try to scrape together a deal with a team Wall wants to go to, and the Rockets will either agree or disagree.

Moving a contract that is essentially $45,000,000 next year is really difficult and the Rockets are certain to take back multiple players. Finding a team that even wants Wall is hard, and then getting one that has that kind of dead salary weight is even harder.

The Kings could conceivably deal Hield and others to get to that number, but they already have guards in place vastly better. So really the Rockets and Kings would need to get other teams involved, possibly the Sixers with Simmons and others.

The other obvious contract out there is the Cavs and Kevin Love, but he makes a lot less than Wall and the Cavs would want a substantial asset or assets to make that deal and then what do the Rockets do with Kevin Love?

The Clippers could deal Morris, Ibaka and Kennard or Jackson to get the salary to add Wall.... but with Leonard out, do they want to do that? I guess the Rockets could argue that the team would be taking on Morris and Kennard for a longer stretch of time and maybe the Clippers do it for that reason.... but broken up salaries are preferable to single contracts. So I think this is a long shot too.

That is about it that is out there...... so Wall better be okay with being paid to stay home for possibly this entire season and maybe next. I hope that Tillman learned to not shove his nasty beak into what his front office wants to do... because the Westbrook deal wasn't what Morey wanted, and the trade of Westbrook for Wall was done because Westbrook was a total ass.... worst trade in franchise history.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's very hard to imagine any team wanting Wall at this stage of his career and the injuries he's racked up, let alone a team that has the necessary accumulated salaries to make trading for Wall worth it.

Maybe you try and coerce Sacramento into taking on Wall in exchange for Barnes, Bagley and Tristan Thompson? Throw them the 2023 1st from Milwaukee? It would get Sacramento out of Barnes' deal (1 year left after this season at $18 mil) and also get them out of having to decide on an extension for Bagley....but they currently have a logjam in the backcourt with Fox, Hield, Mitchell and Haliburton so I doubt they'd want a $40 million 7th man.

Do you go back and make a deal with the devil by sending Wall to OKC and lifting the protection off of the 2024 or 2026 pick?

All I know is Stone's a lot smarter than me and, if there's a deal to be made, it won't be a bad one. Definitely will require a lot of magic and savviness to pull this one off.

20. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Only fine engineering n well planning could keep us away from repeating OKC disaster, in comparison, GSW's the hampton five could be deemed as a masterpiece of fine 'german engineering' inc all sorts of work ranging from coach seaching, draft strategy, player development to vets recruitment…yOU name it.