1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2021 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They would promote the ones ready for a promotion. It would likely not affect how the Astros have promoted position players much besides for no longer waiting for Super Two to pass. I could see guys with great hit tools being promoted more quickly for other teams as they could still provide value to team while they are waiting for their power to come in. The guys with swing and miss issues probably won't be affected. Pitchers, I could see some starters promoted as relievers in August and September to help the big league club before going back to minors as a starter the following year if service time wasn't an issue.

raining threes, Snake Diggit and Nick like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There should also not be as big of a “stigma” for players being sent back down to work on stuff. Sometimes they come back with a vengeance. And sometimes they’re Jared Kelenic.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don’t see the players association agreeing to anything that could lessen a players earning potential, both prior to free agency and at the time of free agency.

Even with service time manipulation, the most talented prospects are called up and the best are usually free agents before age 29.5. The MLBPA hasn’t cared as much about service manipulation as the fans and media have.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Then the MLBPA and its members should stop whining about it.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed… but once those players are called up, I don’t see that much after the fact wrangling. Even less so when they get their big money deal paying mostly for past performance.

But that also is an argument that they want players to both be called up sooner… but also be free agents sooner. An age limit for free agency could be perceived as a negative for the MLBPA, limiting prime earning potential years, with teams possibly market correcting for players 30 years or older.

I still think they should have a team option at 3 years. After then, if a team wants to hold on to a player, they get to do so at an increased performance-based salary for the next 4-5 years. If a team is rebuilding or has no desire to pay big money, that player becomes a free agent right then/there.

Basically the same scenario we see now where certain players are traded before their arbitration years are up… but this would help ensure teams actually do try and build a winning product around their younger stars prior to their potential early free agency.

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Expected lineup vs RHP in a NL park

POS L/R/S PLAYER OBP SLG OPS+ WAR

RF L BRANTLEY, Michael 371 448 125 2.7
    3B R BREGMAN, Alex 369 428 120 1.8
    SS R CORREA, Carlos 371 477 132 5.8
    LF L ALVAREZ, Yordan 344 533 137 2.7
    1B R GURRIEL, Yuli 382 468 133 3.3
    2B R ALTUVE, Jose 346 472 123 3.5
    CF L TUCKER, Kyle 335 517 130 3.9
    C R MALDENADO, Martin 282 315 65 0.4
    RSP R URQUIDY, Jose 0.0 0 0.000 0.0

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Looks like Siri can be brought up as a COVID replacement, which means he can be removed from the 40 man and sent down to the minors without having to be exposed to waivers.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he were added to the 40 man roster prior to the end of the season, then traded prior to locking rosters for the Rule 5 draft. Surely there are teams that would love to have a guy on their 40 man roster with his upside who would have 3 options remaining.

I wonder if Siri might be a better playoff option than McCormick due to his experience in CF and better baserunning.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Cincy burned up 2 of his options already.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Good catch. Also I’m not sure how options work on players who have already cleared waivers. It may be that he won’t have options remaining at all. Still, I can quickly count at least 6 teams who have crummier 4th OF than what I would expect from Siri.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Disclaimer that we don’t want to count the chickens before they hatch, but with 27 games left, and with TAM having a healthy lead, we look to be in a neck and neck battle with CWS for home field advantage in the first round. We’re one up in the loss column…finishing as the #2 seed would be a big lift if we can make it happen (read: if Dusty doesn’t screw it ip). It’ll be interesting to see how much control Dusty has in the playoffs…I would assume FO picks the starters…if we get home field, do we start LMJ in game 1 and Garcia game 2 (given his home/road splits), leaving Framber/Urquidy/Greinke for road road? We have an important month ahead of us…I hope our key players start to really get in the zone. Greinke will be interesting to monitor, hopefully he can put the bad Rangers outing behind him.

12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

And an outfield assist last night...

Nook, raining threes and King1 like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/2813083/202...nd-issues-and-the-ebbs-and-flows-of-a-season/

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

^

graveman sounds like a p***y

I wonder if his voice is as high as click’s ?

don’t mind me , just **** postin

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

16. awc713

awc713 Member

17. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Glad he spoke up but frankly I’m glad he’s ready to go, is fiery and wants to contribute more, lord knows we need him to go 6, possible longer these days. His location has been much better lately. That high 4SFB was money in that last outing.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Robel Garcia should be next please....

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yankees already moving Gleyber Torres to 2B. I think the Yankees should be considered the strong front runners to sign Correa.

Astros should have money to snag one of the 2nd tier guys: Semien, Story, Baez, or Taylor. But it won’t surprise me at all if Click opts out of free agency spending and rolls with Diaz/Pena.

PiPdAdY33 likes this.