1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well that's unfortunate that you'd be foolish enough to ignore your doctors advice and it proves my point about how dangerous political misinformation can be.

I can't tell you what veterinary pharmacists think, but I can tell you what doctors who actually care for COVID-19 patients think and what pharmacists who fill their scripts think. To me that's considerably more valuable information.

Again, I have first hand experience with this. Now sure, not every doctor agrees on any specific treatment protocol, but when lay people are refusing treatment due to outright fabricated or ridiculously misleafing stories about specific drugs, that's a dangerous situation.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Do the Rockets wear red?

3. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

for the record im just news fatigued and tired of listening to both political parties jerk themselves off on the 24 hour news cycle about whatever the flavor of the month is regarding covid disccusion. im vaccianated, and if i went to a doctor i would never question what they prescribed to treat me as i know nothing and they know everything in these regards.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Same here really but staying up to date about popular treatments is pretty much a vocational requirement for me.

I see it as even more annoying when i hear ignorant propaganda parroted because COVID-19 shouldn't be political at all.

I have friends who are dumb enough to listen to the Rachel Maddow's and Sean Hannity's of the world and that's probably the worst part about the whole thing. The world has allowed dishonest political hacks to brainwash them and that has directly led to further polarization of society and the rise in popularity of authoritarianism on the left and the right.... something potentially far more dangerous than COVID-19 itself

Slyonebluejay and TexasTofu like this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think it's good to question things sometimes... Like certain rx drugs - this isn't specific to covid craziness in this thread/targeting anything that's been stated here, but it's good sometimes to read about a drug/drug interactions between other drugs and ask a pharmacist any questions/concerns that your Dr didn't answer. I'm not talking like becoming Dr google/WebMD guru but I regularly check updates on drugs my elderly parents take and have even had to have a Dr change an rx here and there over the years. I have a background in science so it definitely makes it a little easier, but I'm by no means a Dr - I just encourage everyone to read up on things they're going to be taking a long time.

Also, don't get me wrong, MDs know a lot but the pharmacists/especially ones that work in the hospital setting (honestly even your local pharmacy) know a lot too and in most cases are more up on the drugs than the prescribing Dr, especially when it comes to interactions.

Obviously with the internet and apps like Epocrates it makes interaction checks easier between meds but pharmacists definitely know their stuff on drugs, at least the ones I know do. Unfortunately I don't think they get the respect they should since they might work in a retail setting.

Sorry for the off topic post, and not calling you or anyone out I just think it's good sometimes to know about the meds you or other family members are taking.

adoo, Amiga and TexasTofu like this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Also, this! I'm vaccinated too, but absolutely agree with you, I'm news fatigued too. I thought we reached a peak a while ago, but it's like a whole new gear is found every day/week that a political spin gets added.

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Mane ‘n tail makes my hair SO soft.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

From NBC News:

Sept. 10, 2021, 3:03 PM CDT
    By Erika Edwards

Research published Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that unvaccinated people are significantly more likely to not only become infected with Covid-19, but also die from the virus.

Two other reports from the agency, also published Friday, found the vaccines have largely retained their ability to keep infected patients out of the hospital, even amid the highly contagious delta variant.

One study found that when the delta variant became dominant in the summer, unvaccinated people were 4.5 times more likely to become infected, more than 10 times more likely to be hospitalized, and 11 times more likely to die of Covid.

That CDC research, based on data collected by the agency's hospitalization surveillance network, examined more than 600,000 Covid cases reported across the country from April to July, particularly as the delta variant quickly took hold.

A second study, on vaccine effectiveness, looked at more than 1,000 Covid hospitalizations. Some of those infections occurred earlier in April, when the alpha variant of the virus was circulating widely. Others occurred from July through August, when the delta variant dominated.

The shots remained highly effective — more than 90 percent — against hospitalization among those under age 65. That protection appeared to wane a bit, however, for those ages 65 and older, where it fell to just under 80 percent.

"These vaccines still remain extremely effective at preventing what we are most concerned about: severe infection, hospitalization and death," said Dr. Richard Besser, president of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and former acting CDC director.

The third study had similar findings, showing that, in general, the vaccines' effectiveness for keeping Covid patients out of the hospital was 86 percent. That effectiveness was lower, however, among adults over age 75, at 76 percent.

Besser said he was not surprised by this finding; it is not unexpected to see a decline in vaccine effectiveness in the elderly, as the immune system tends to weaken as people age.

That third assessment was based on studies of about 32,000 people who were hospitalized or had visited urgent care clinics for any reason in the summer.

When researchers looked specifically at which vaccine people had received, effectiveness against hospitalization was highest among those who had the Moderna shots, at 95 percent, followed by the shots from Pfizer-BioNTech, at 80 percent, and the Johnson & Johnson shot at 60 percent.

The research is likely to be scrutinized next Friday when advisers to the Food and Drug Administration are scheduled to meet to discuss the safety and effectiveness of a third dose.

The Biden administration said in August it intended to offer these booster doses to all eligible Americans starting Sept. 20. Boosters would be available to people eight months after they had received their second dose.

The effort would likely mirror the original vaccine rollout, with health care workers, nursing home residents and people over age 65 first in line.

The CDC will also need to sign off on the plan before recommending those extra doses.

Federal health officials, as well as most major medical groups, strongly encourage Covid vaccinations for everyone ages 12 and older.

“Vaccination works and will protect us from the severe complications of Covid-19,” CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said during a White House Covid task force briefing Friday.

The message echoed that of President Joe Biden who, on Thursday, outlined a broad plan to increase vaccinations nationwide, including executive orders mandating the shots for employees of both the federal government and other large businesses.

As of Friday, the CDC reported that 62.5 percent of the U.S. population eligible for the shots had been fully vaccinated. Seventy-three percent had received the first dose.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...fer-powerful-protection-severe-covid-rcna1968

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

F*** yeah let's go Team Moderna! I'll fight anyone who took Pfizer to show Moderna dominance. J&J? Give me a break.

Mkieke and Two Sandwiches like this.
  10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

11. adoo

adoo Member

so, in a round about way, u agree that Rogan is a quack

• rogan is a social media influencer
    • Using social media, He
      • has been peddling his anti-vaccine spins
      • then peddles the effectiveness of IVM for COVID

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I ended up with Moderna and my significant other with Pfizer. Crazy!

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Some people may say he's been peddling anti-vaccine spins, but he's said time and time again that he's encouraged people to get it, including his parents. He advocated for more research into ivermectin.

While his thoughts came off as largely anti vaccine, he's mostly been talking about how the government has missed the mark on promoting exercise, supplementation, and overall wellness, which isn't a bad thing, imo.

It seems like his personal opinion is that most people can beat this naturally if they take care of themselves.

But then he threw the kitchen sink at it, which doesn't exactly make the rest of his opinion look good.

The Real Shady likes this.
  14. adoo

adoo Member

he is a quack

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Most people can, but that doesn't mean you don't listen to your doctors and take what they give you. Joe Rogan is 54, that means he's right at the start of those who need to take COVID-19 very seriously because while the chances of death is still right at or under 1%, it's still 30 times what it is for a 25 year old.

I see no reason why anyone over 50 would take any chances with COVID-19 when it's not necessary and they certainly shouldn't refuse any medications they are prescribed.

16. Two Sandwiches

He will admit that himself. That's what people like about him.

The appeal of Joe Rogan is that he's just a dude talking ****, as he describes it. He's got opinions and he gives them. He has interesting people on his show. What has been turning me off about his show lately is that it's more and more becoming alt right stuff. It's still interesting to listen to, though.

The appeal of Rogan is that he's an everyman. He even says he's shocked at the success of his show. Many of his listeners live vicariously through him as he talks to these highly intelligent people and holds decently intelligent conversations with them.

But he will tell people that he's not a doctor, and he's a quack who's just giving his opinion. The problem is he is a charismatic, interesting man, and he can easily sway people's thoughts.

Still love his show. But you gotta take it for what it's worth, and what he says it is. A dude talking ****.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That's good long-term for anything, but practically useless in the short term against covid.

While there are additional risks for those with some conditions, covid kills randomly enough that nearly everyone is at risk. I think the vast majority of covid hospitalizations or deaths recently in the US and other nations with good vaccination rates are among those younger than 50 (b/c >50s have a higher vaccination rate).

Most people can indeed beat this naturally (even without taking care of themselves). I'm pulling a number out of thin air now (but it's in the ballpark) - even for those unvaccinated and over 65, you probably have a 80% of survival. But obviously, no one wants to take a 20% risk of dying from covid. Most people won't even take a 1% chance. Whatever their risk tolerance, each person can reduce their risk of death by a factor of 11x on avg by vaccinating. You can't say that for any other preventative medicines. It's quite irresponsibly to push unknown preventative methods when you have something that have been through the process and is working very well.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Last night I went to my first concert in a venue larger than a small bar. It was Gogol Bordello at the Palace Theater in St. Paul. To enter we were required and show proof of vaccination and wear a mask indoors. While it was weird and unpleasant to be wearing a mask while rocking out it was a small sacrifice to be able to see a great show by a band I really like.

jchu14 and Ziggy like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't happy when I got the Moderna vaccine, wasn't given a choice by my health care provider. I didn't like that I had to come back 4 weeks later to the same location to get the second shot when friends who got the J&J only did it once. Now it looks like I got the better deal.

20. Two Sandwiches

I don't understand the proof of vaccination thing. I get that we want to keep the unvaccinated out of large crowds, and that it makes some people feel safer, but is it necessary? Everyone in that concert could still contract covid from someone else in there, especially if their vaccine was given in February or so. And then their young kids could get it. And then someone who they come into contact with can get it.

I get both sides of the argument,.and I get why people would support having a vaccine passport, but I think it seems a lot like China, and I don't think it helps a ton, to be honest.

The ultimate thing is that the unvaccinated are taking their life into their own hands when they go out and about into crowds. The American way is to let them do that. Even if they ultimately die.

This country was built on freedoms and has stood for that for how long? I don't think we should be forsaking that over something because it provides comfort to a few people.

I know that sounds like a far right stance, and maybe it is, but my opinions are not all far right. I think we need to reassess our stances on some of this stuff before it's too late.

I would much rather be tested at the door for these events than to have to show a passport, to be honest.

Not an attack at you, by any means @rocketsjudoka . And like I said, I get why people would push for them. I just don't think they're super effective, and I think that it's fairly anti-American.