1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone or Morey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 10, 2021.

?

Stone or Morey?

1. Morey

2. Stone

3. Both are great. Daryl is a wizard and Stone is the right guy to rebuild this franchise

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You realize Stone is Morey's protege?

HP3 likes this.
  2. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Drafting higher than Harden was even picked is solid.

3. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I seem the other way around now actually. Morey is now the student.

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Way too early to tell

Nook likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Well.... I can tell you that the Wood and Tate signings were moves that Daryl intended to make before he got the hell out of Tilmanville.

It is way to early to evaluate how good Stone is or isn't.... so far just about everything that can go right for Stone has gone right. He got Oladipo to reject a massive offer from the Rockets.... and everyone forgot that he traded him for very little..... he had the lottery balls bounce his way, kept his pick and got possibly the best player in the draft at #2.

As for Morey, he was never allowed to bottom out under Alexander (nor could he go into the tax with either owner) and Tilman refused to spend money for important role players, so he was left sending out draft picks to move contracts....Also Morey never had the money needed to beef up the player development part of the organization like he wanted to.... and it looks like, at least for now, that Stone will get that chance.

Having said that, Stone deserves credit for being able to get TF to do things he didn't or wouldn't do with Morey in charge.

This is just my gut, but I also believe that Stone has a good natural aptitude for talent evaluation....... I just question if that carries over to evaluating coaching.

Stone deserves more time to see what he can do.... as for Morey, he needs to get a tighter control on his coach and players.... Rivers sabotaged his team with comments about Simmons and Embiid and Simmons think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want.

alethios, Deckard, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  6. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

The Simmons situation is like classic Daryl.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I accidentally picked Stone, lolz. Stone is trash. Has no hair. Or backbone apparently - safe to assume any veteran professional that refuses to back down to Tilman has a backbone. Nobody elite at their jobs would ever work for that scum. Not for long.

Morey is VERY GOOD at WORST.

HP3 and tycoonchip like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Huh? That doesn’t change anything that I said. Morey was never even allowed to tank.

HP3 likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Easy decision.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

No real Rocket fan likes Les either. Man tried to move the team and moved our trophies to Florida. He will never be forgiven for that move. Fertitta though still is a Son of a B! It's a Douche bag vs a Turd Sandwich situation.

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How so?

12. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Pay closer attention

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. MettaWorldPete

the one thing that freaks me out about stone is the oladipo offer. Is it known for sure whether it was purely symbolic and stone knew oladipo would turn it down?

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

Morey until proven otherwise.

Plowman likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Dude got KPJ, Kmart JR, Tate, Chris Wood, Garuba and Jaygup all in his first year. Notice I didnt even mention Green since he is a gimme and it doesnt take s lot of skill to tank, although I'll give him credit correctly choosing Green over Mobley.

If you think Stone hasnt done anything you arent paying attention.

#35 roslolian, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is not how Raf looks today, haha.

17. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Wrong. Drafting Jalen Green at 2 was already a superior move.

Stone > Morey. He gets basketball more than the nerd

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

For Morey since his tenure is so long you can break it down to 2 Moreys:

1. Pre Cp3 Morey was great. He stocked up on good players and got the Rox fantastic deals like Lowry for Alston and low frp for Scola. Was given an impossible task of building a contender without tanking and somehow succeeded. A+ GM.

2. Post Cp3 Morey wasnt so good. Forgoed drafting guys and stocking up on talent in favor of always going in and betting on winning a ring. Kept trading frps and assets on gambles like Ty Lawson, Thabeet, Squid, Sweet Lou and of course paid a King's ransom for 1 yr of Cp3. Also brought in stars without thought on how they fit with Harden, brought in Dwight and Cp3 who both had conflicts with Harden. Blew all the cap on Eric Gordon and Ryan Scrubb Anderson. Was too impatient, we'd trade frps for Sweet Lou and then trade him 1 yr later. Had first dibs on CWood and RoCo but let them go too early for more vets. Too much reliance on Dumbtoni and his fixation on regular season performance without consideration for playoffs. Gets blackballed by other GMs cuz of bad attitude and absurd trade demands. Very analytics based but keeps getting inconsistent shooters. C GM.

Overall Morey is a B for me. He can build you a good team but fails at building s great team. See Philly, messed up handling of Simmons, traded future picks for Danny Green and Seth Curry. Philly fans certainly dont think Morey is a Wizard based on his first year.

Stone so far has been great. I can only judge GMs based on what they've done and Stone in his first year set up the Rox foundation already, and thats without even getting the assets from the Harden trade. Pretty insane imo.

Richie_Rich, rockets1995 and hakeem94 like this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Stone got Kmart Jr, Tate, Brown, Nwaba and KPJ on the cheap bro.

Green was the only one Stone got via tanking. Morey not being able to tank is just an excuse, you dont need to tank to get some good young players with upside. Maybe you wont find a franchise player, but you can find decent contributors like Fred Van Fleet and Aaron Baynes.

xiki and hakeem94 like this.
  20. Salvy

Salvy Member

Stealing? At the time Harden was 6th man of the year and while he showed great potential no one knew Harden would take such a leap... For perspective, this is like giving props to any GM in trading for player like Lou Williams, Eric Gordon, Jamal Crawford or Montrezl Harrell.

Because Morey lucked out on a 6th man of the year does not mean he stole anything, if he would have gotten LeBron, CP3 or Wade at the time I would say he stole a player....