1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AIRPLANE CRASHES INTO THE WORLD TRADE CENTER!!!!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by across110thstreet, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

2. dmoneybangbang

Was in high school... They had TVs in the classroom and they were all on CNN during the first period. Shortly after my parents came and picked me and the carpool group up. I remember asking my mom what was going on the ride home and she was like "we are at war!".

3. Xerobull

*mental note: @dmoneybangbang ’s mom is a drama queen.

CCity Zero, primtim24, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I was in Omaha at the UPRR Corporate HQ and they had TV`s in the hallways and we all sat there in disbelief watching. Bush flew into Eppley a few days after that to meet StratCom at Offutt AF Base........dam, seems like yesterday in some ways and in others it seems like a lifetime

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A terrible day, and horrible that some people were inspired to hijack a plane and fly it into a building.....

Just terrible that people are that gullible to believe that stuff.

DD

Yung-T likes this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Agreed. Its amazing young men will sign up for service to go invade 3rd world countries to go 'establish' democracies.

7. Xerobull

Military service in our country is deeply respected, sexy and a way out of poverty. Three things a lot of young men crave.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. Juxtaposed Jolt

This thread title needs to be edited with a "[2001]" in front of it. Just did a double-take when I saw "AIRPLANE CRASHES..." on the main page.

primtim24, Xerobull and Sajan like this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Amazing how much the world has changed in these 20 years. I was a young pipefitter apprentice back in 2001 and remember listening to the radio then drawing the events in chalk on my work table to try to grasp a picture of the scene. Got off work, skipped school that evening and just stared at the TV.

Years later, images and communications are instant.

Its crazy how few arguments this thread had back then even with so pretty controversial posts.

CCity Zero, B-Bob and Yung-T like this.
  10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Great. Now I can't unsee "dmoneybang bangs mom" without slightly chuckling. Thanks, Obama.

dmoneybangbang and Xerobull like this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Amen brother, I totally agree.

We need to offer a CIVIL equivalent to the GI Bill.

One party wants to keep people poor so there are plenty of people willing to join the military as a way out - the other wants to lift everyone up.

DD

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Funny you mention this, whenever I meet someone born after 01, one of my first thoughts is "they weren't even alive during 9/11".

That day and the aftermath is so ingrained into my memories, even as someone on the other side of the world.

CCity Zero, Two Sandwiches and B-Bob like this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I heard an interesting insight from the NPR entertainment reporter.

He says that since 9/11 Hollywood has basically scrubbed the towers from syndicated shows like the Sopranos, Sex in the City and Law and Order. They've been editing out the towers in an effort avoid reminding people about 9/11 and the reporter thought that was wrong. I agree.

14. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Back then, it was useful to unite us. Look at what all of our privilege buys us! What a bargain! So thrilled with all of the value we invested in at the kitchen table as a country. Now that Afghanistan is over, surely we can spend the "extra money" on useful things like walls. So grateful for our Texas leadership, focusing on real issues that affect the lives of real people.

On 9/11, I was a senior in HS. One of my friends was super into knife throwing, which should have been a red flag. He was thrilled in the hallways that we were going to WW3. Hear that? World wars are fun. Christ. Maybe we have hit a spot where art attempts to imitate life too much. 30% of the US population need to get their act together and grow the f up so we can have a society again. Vaccinate. Mask up. Care for one another instead of generating clicks for Fox.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, I recall the original Spiderman movie was coming out in 2002 and the trailer featured bank robbers fleeing in a helicopter being caught in a giant spider web between the twin towers. After 9/11 occurred, that trailer was redone with that scene removed.

REEKO_HTOWN and Yung-T like this.
  16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Twenty years ago on 9/11 I was at a technical sales meeting in Atlanta. Back then, I worked as a sales engineer for a company called Broadvision. We were in a conference room at an office in Norcross when we started getting IMs from our California office to go find a TV and turn on the news. The messages read: "Terrorist attack in NYC". Confused, we tried pulling up Yahoo and Google on our laptops only to find that no one could access the Internet. We were unable to send or receive emails as well. The Internet had gone offline from the sheer number of people trying to access it. We also discovered that we had no cell service and so I went into an empty office and attempted to use a landline to call my wife only to discover that it, too, was not working. All I could get was a fast busy signal on every landline I tried. About that time one of the guys started shouting to come back to the conference room. I did and was stunned at what I saw: a military convoy complete with tanks and troop carriers was headed into downtown Atlanta. We quickly found a TV in another, crowded conference room and that's when I saw the first images of the burning North Tower. We saw the 2nd plane strike the South Tower live on CNN. I remember asking my partner "Can that bldg (North Tower) sustain the weight of a crashed jumbo jet?" 20 minutes later, I had my answer.

That evening Atlanta was completely locked down. Police and military were everywhere. Hartsfield Airport was closed so nobody was able to leave. The streets were deserted. The military took positions outside Hartsfield Airport, the Government Center downtown, the CNN complex and the Coca Cola World HQ (I found that to be a bit strange). Everything was closed. We were able to find a bar that was still open and were finally able to get something to eat. You can guess what was on all the TVs there. I wasn't able to reach my wife until midnight. It was that conversation you don't want to have. At the time, I had no idea how I'd get back to Dallas.

We were basically stuck in Atlanta for 3 long days. The group had four rental cars so a plan was developed to use them to ferry everyone home. One car went north up the East Coast, one car headed south toward Florida, one car headed northwest toward Chicago and one car headed West toward Dallas. That's when things got really scary. In our car we had 4 people: Hispanic, White, Black and Syrian. Yep, we had to drive through Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and East Texas with a Muslim right after a terrorist attack on US soil was carried out by Islamic terrorists. We had no choice so we drove the entire journey non-stop - only stopping for gas and getting food through drive-thru windows. The highways were like something out of a Mad Max movie. State Police carried rifles and shotguns - in fact there were guns everywhere. Road blocks were everywhere. The highways were littered with abandoned cars. Anybody who looked Muslim was pulled out of their car and detained. Needless to say, they were not treated well (neither was I but we're talking Alabama and Mississippi here). I remember driving past Barksdale AFB which was surrounded by soldiers and watching all of the fighter jets take off. Somehow, we made it to Dallas. We dropped off Hector at Love Field where he was able to catch a Southwest flight to San Antonio (they had resumed flights by then). Next Sayed and I were dropped off at DFW leaving Michael to make the long drive back to Denver alone. Because he had to make the longest drive alone, the three of us had done all of the driving to Dallas so he would be rested enough to make it. He did and we were all able to make it back home safely.

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

This thread needs to be locked.

No offense to anyone…I feel uncomfortable reading posts from 20 years ago especially about a horrific tragedy. We were reporting news as it happened and not something I want to re-live.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I wonder if, in part, you're noticing a change in how our society interacts on the internet versus 2001.

With apologies to @Smokey, I sort of like having people reflect on the old thread. But maybe it would be better (and more respectful?) to have a new thread to discuss the 20 year grim anniversary.

Yung-T and Astrodome like this.
  19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I disagree, respectfully. People shouldn't forget this. It should be sticky for a week.

This memorial on TV is very powerful.

I was a freshman in high school. This day is forever engrained in my memory. Things have changed in an insane way in my life since that day. I can't imagine if life had stopped at that point.

Sitting here holding my kids a bit tighter today...

#239 Two Sandwiches, Sep 11, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

No issue with a new thread and by no means should anyone feel like they shouldn’t be able to remember, share their memories, discuss, etc.

It’s just upsetting to read real-time posts - we all remember what we were doing, where we were, etc. many of us right here on Clutchfans, not knowing what was going to happen next. United as one.

B-Bob likes this.