1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WSJ] ‘If Elder Were a Democrat’ Without double standards, would the U.S. media have any standards?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

‘If Elder Were a Democrat’
    Without double standards, would the U.S. media have any standards at all?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-eld...yi3pghsnsh3&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

citing this article at National Review:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021...larry-elder-the-biggest-story-in-america/amp/

excerpt from National Review piece:

If Elder were a Democrat, the attack . . . would not only be front-page news, it would be just about the only news you were hearing about today on CNN and MSNBC. Charles Blow, Perry Bacon, and Jamelle Bouie would each be writing the first in a series of angry columns about it. So would Gail Collins, Jonathan Capehart, Jennifer Rubin, Michelle Goldberg, Paul Krugman, Maureen Dowd, Dana Milbank, and Ezra Klein. We would be treated to multiple news analyses about the history of the usage of gorilla tropes against blacks. Joy-Ann Reid, Rachel Maddow, and Don Lemon would be doing hour-long broadcasts on the attack, convening panels discussing just how the attack pulls the scab off racism in America, and proves we have so much work left to do in dealing with the problem. Vox would commission a series about California’s grim history of racism dating back to the Chinese Exclusion Act, and Asian-American and Latino writers would hasten to explain that California’s historic hostility to all sorts of persons of color is as traditional as its Tournament of Roses parade. Three-thousand-word essays about the brutal, unknown history of lynchings in the Golden State would be published in The Atlantic and/or The New Yorker. Al Sharpton, exhibiting a combination of exhaustion and despondency, would be a guest on half a dozen cable TV shows.

The woman who threw the egg at Elder would find her picture, her name, and everything she’d ever said on social media scrutinized at great length and on the home pages of the leading news sites. Her appearance would be mocked by late-night comedians.
    There would also be a lot of discussion and threads on the D&D ;)

more at both links

2. SuraGotMadHops

Nobody even wants to acknowledge what happened to him at the hands of a white racist liberal in a gorilla mask. So many boastful social justice warriors on the D&D have gone silent. Hypocrites everywhere.

#2 SuraGotMadHops, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude went to Crenshaw High

4. tinman

Supporting Member

I bet she created this fake word LatinX for Mexicans

5. tinman

Supporting Member

He should have some security detail from the CRIPS

6. tinman

Supporting Member

@pgabriel
    that's because the majority of the D&D don't care about Black People
    Not just Elder,
    Tupac,
    DaBaby

but 100% sure, they don't care about the Rockets. I haven't seen many of these angry freeloaders on the GARM.
    They probably think Jalen Green is LatinX

7. adoo

adoo Member

if pigs could fly!

sloppy reporting by WSJ, which conveniently ommiited this part of Larry Elder's history on Gorrila

#7 adoo, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

ICE CUBE WARNED US

9. Nook

Nook Member

When I first saw the attack (if you even want to call it that) I believed that there could be a double standard at play. We saw chimp masks with GWB and no one said much in the media.... then a big deal was made with the "Go back to Africa" signs and comments against Obama..... and Elder is a black man, and someone in a gorilla mask did throw something at him.... it seemed to be a clear case of a double standard....

That was until I looked deeper into it and found out that there is a history with Elder and an issue with referencing black men as gorillas. Elder in the past took the position that an officer calling a group of black suspects "Gorillas in the mist" was NOT racial.

So I think people should reach their own conclusions, but it isn't as clear cut as the WSJ or some others are claiming.

Liberals should be pissed that Newsome is such a sniveling worthless POS that this is even an issue....... whenever a state is controlled by one party for long enough, we get inferior leadership. We can look at Texas and see how terrible the Republican leadership is and how they poorly run the state.... and that is also true in California where the Democrats are nominating poor candidates... I see the same in a city like Chicago, where one party dominates.... and there are as many examples on both sides of the political spectrum

10. tinman

Supporting Member

yup the 2 party system is suppose to keep the other side in check

but instead you got one ruled by the CRIPS and one by the BLOODS

AleksandarN, JumpMan and Nook like this.
  11. HTM

HTM Member

I didn't quit the Rockets, the Rockets quit me.

ThatBoyNick and Os Trigonum like this.
  12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know much about Newsom other than that he created a PR nightmare by dining at the French Laundry during his own stay-at-home period. Really bad optics.

I do think it's absolutely absurd that California triggers a recount when 12% of registered voters want one. That's an outrageously low threshold that encourages a party that can't win statewide to subvert the general election process and lean on low turnout recall referendums.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Harden quit you
    Jalen Green hasn’t been given the chance yet to quit you

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why would anyone have any sympathy for sure meone who used the slippery slope argument for repressions because British slave owners got reparations for losing their slaves?

"We can't have reperations for the transgressions against black families such as stealing of farm land and Redlining because then families of slave owners would be in their right to ask for reperations for losing their property" - paraphrases smooth brain argument by Elder.

I'm sorry but no one has to respect Elder because he's Black. White racists love playing this game.
    "Racism towards Blacks don't exist except when liberals attack the talking points of Black people I agree with and question their motives on why they hold these positions".

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

If BLM doesnt think this is racially charged then neither do I.

16. fchowd0311

Are you at all intellectually curious of the motivation of the gorilla mask incident?

I suggest you read @Nook post. Elder has a history of believing that calling Black men gorillas isn't racist. So do you think the person who did that stunt was poking fun of that stance of Elders rather than actually wearing it as a statement of Black men being gorillas?

Sincerely ask yourself this. Stop pretending that the right wing that is Elder's base cares about racism towards African Americans. Understand why they like Elder. They like him precisely because he spreads the narrative that racist history towards African Americans hasn't effected their socioeconomic standing today.

This is nothing more than faux outrage coming from bad faith. Everyone here knows it including you.

#16 fchowd0311, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    joshuaao, Andre0087 and Nook like this.
  17. TheresTheDagger

Newsom's wife contacted Rose McGowan 6 month prior to the Harvey Weinstein story breaking to try and buy her off (according to Rose McGowan). So there's that...

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Based on Elder's past comments, the mask definitely makes this situation racial. Whether it's racist or not, I don't really care to share my thoughts. I think you are stereotyping his base, though.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Kevin Johnson, the former NBA player, a Democrat, mayor of Sac got pied a few years ago. Was there mass media mania about that?

The attack is egg thrown at Elder? Why is that mass media mania worthy?

20. fchowd0311

Yes it exactly makes it racial. But you want to frame it as the person making a radical statement that "Elder is black therefore he's like a Gorilla".

When the racial statement is "Elder believes it's okay to call black men gorrilas therefore I'm going to make fun of his fire on that".

There is a clear distinction here you understand?

And so what if I'm stereotyping a political ideology? Yes, the vast majority of people who like Elder like him because it's a black man saying bad thing about "black culture". That's why people who like him, like him. There are thousands of white people who are as charasmatic and will say the same things about Black culture and Black issues but they will never rise to the prominence of Elder because the market for white people saying bad things about "black culture" is ultra saturated.