1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT and OU Reaching Out to Join SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 21, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Less than six weeks after Texas and Oklahoma announced their impending departure to the SEC, the league is poised to add four new members in a process that could culminate in one week’s time. UCF, Houston, BYU and Cincinnati are expected to apply for Big 12 membership next week and then could be approved for admission in a meeting of Big 12 presidents Sept. 10, multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated.

The league has the eight votes needed for expansion.

In this scenario, the four teams will join the league by 2023 or, at the very latest, 2024, and may even compete alongside Oklahoma and Texas before those two powerhouses depart for the SEC, making for a couple of awkward seasons in a 14-team Big 12.

UCF, Houston and Cincinnati, the three American Athletic Conference members, are required to give 27-month notice to their league and pay a $10 million exit penalty. In the current timeline, the teams would give a 23-month notice and likely pay an increased exit fee. BYU is not a member of a conference in football, but must give the West Coast Conference notice for its other sports leaving the league.

The four new members are not expected to immediately get full distribution shares. However, their first-year shares in the Big 12 are expected to double if not triple their American distribution, which is around $6 million or $7 million.

With the additions, the Big 12 will retain its status as an Autonomy 5 league, college football leaders believe.

tinman likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

ESPN needs to buy off some votes. :D

tinman likes this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I would guess FSU and Oregon have pretty good national numbers, Stanford and Miami (maybe) aren't slouches either. And although football is the driver here, North Carolina and Duke basketball are massive draws. But don’t forget about the PAC/ACC/BIG merger. Although we don't really know what the exact framework will be like, there will be inter-conference games that will likely boost viewership across the board.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I mean, your lack of interest in UH joining the Big 12 has been very visible for... just about ever.

That being said, I think you will enjoy and benefit from having regular games in Houston across all sports.

sammy likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

BYU and UCF do make this conference a bit of a geographical nightmare.

You kind of have to go East/West now.

West
    BYU
    Texas Tech
    Baylor
    TCU
    Houston
    Okie State

East
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Iowa State
    UCF
    WVU
    Cinci

tinman likes this.
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That East Division is pretty rough.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's not the greatest, but it's a powerhouse in hoops. Gonna be a lot like the old big 12 and how their South division dominated football while the North ran basketball.

Edit coming to think of it the west division looks like a world beater in basketball

gucci888 likes this.
  8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I haven’t made many posts about this so that’s how I’ve came off I guess when I have. UH joining the Big 12 has never been possible and it had little to do with my alma mater. The needs of the conference have also changed considerably

#568 sammy, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is actually good
    All the Baylor, tech, TCU fans in Houston rejoice

10. Buck Turgidson

Who knows what it looks like in 2-3 years?

I like it though, looks fun, will watch.

Brando2101, sammy and gucci888 like this.
  11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

What do y'all think the AAC will do? Go after schools like Rice? I would love if they went for Texas State cause it would be good for the area but I'm sure that's not likely.

tinman likes this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If i'm the AAC I invite UAB, Georgia State, and FIU. Invest in the metro areas and keep the theme going. UTSA and Charlotte on the radar too.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Expansion seems dumb if you're not getting stronger by adding valuable programs. AAC might as well stand pat.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The Big 12 should lose its Power 5 status but I think if you’re in the Power 4, throwing a bone to preserve the peace might not be a bad thing.

I’m shocked at the turn of events for the AAC going from reaping the benefits to being left for dead.

16. Buck Turgidson

Why on earth would that happen with expanded playoffs and realignment not happening for a couple of years?

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I guess it doesn’t matter unless playoffs expand and auto bids are being discussed.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Don't worry, the Big 12 rarely qualifies teams for the playoffs EVEN WITH Power 5 status AND UT & OU in it.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I suppose it all comes down to financial implications. It is surprising though if UT/OU are in fact leaving the big 12 why not just let them go now? If they do not want to be there then peace!

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It really depends on the ESPN contract. If they add 4 more schools, they have to split the money across 14 schools instead of 10 if they don't let Texas and OU go. I see the Big 12 letting OU and Texas leaver early if ESPN doesn't take money from them for losing the two big money makers. That being said, ESPN probably wants Texas and OU to leave early so ESPN makes more money from the SEC. I think the greedy minds will prevail and Texas and OU will get to leave early with everyone getting the most money they can.