1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just noting that a fertilized embryo if left on it's own will not grow into a fetus. Just as much as it takes certain conditions for a sperm cell to fertilize an egg cell it takes certain conditions for an embryo to even develop to the point of cell differentiation. Most fertilized human embryos never come to term even without abortion with most of those lost before they can attach to the uterine wall.

This is the essence of bodily autonomy as it takes a particular person's body to support the development of a fetus. It would be a much different matter if humans just laid eggs that could be then transferred to another person's care or put in a hot box until hatching.

2. dmoneybangbang

Christian taliban going to taliban.

DaDakota likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

So nothing that doesn't directly affect you should be commented upon or be the subject of legislation?
    A 30 year old man will not continue being alive without the appropriate conditions around. This is a non-argument. An infant that is not fed will not develop into an adult. Of course the proper environment to support life must exist. A sperm cell kept in optimum conditions will never be an adult. It is half of a puzzle, the whole thing needs to be there to make a person. Saying an embryo is the same as a sperm cell is disingenuous. It is an intellectually dishonest argument. Yes, children require their mothers to birth them. This is not shocking information to people.

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I learned the first half of that in college 20 years ago and did not think a home yt geek can splice and use cutting edge crispr techniques that popped up ten years ago.

We're all gonna die

7. London'sBurning

It's odd I guess, but my reaction to that video was actually very hopeful. That's a demonstration of how we mass produce insulin from bacteria and treat people with Ebola and work on effective vaccine treatments. Also makes me think of stuff like the last universal common ancestor. That fact that we can meld the human genome into a plant at all is really only because in some weird way, we're all related back to a common ancestor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_universal_common_ancestor

https://omny.fm/shows/this-podcast-will-kill-you/episode-50-antibiotics-we-owe-it-all-to-chemistry
    https://omny.fm/shows/this-podcast-will-kill-you/ep-51-the-path-of-most-antibiotic-resistance

8. Invisible Fan

I like the accessibility but with Great Power comes Great Monkey Plagues...

I mean we might be on the verge of curing some of the nastiest cancers under a new class of treatment. It's just I'm not the same level of psyched of having some dude cook up gene therapy treatments in his garage as if he's the next Michael Dell. The hundred of failures before Dell didn't have the potential to cook up some life killing discovery off chance

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rel...py-shows-great-promise-in-early-research.html

9. London'sBurning

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol pro life @StupidMoniker is back everyone like its the 2000s again - just ignore the last few years of white supremacist pro covid, pro run over protesters, pro 1/6 terrorist
    bullshit - life is sacred for this dude.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It really does show how conservative right wingers value life vs a regular human.

It isn't the empathy over another being's hopes, fears, will to live etc that is important. It's the DNA sequence.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

We put little kids in ice boxes because their parents broke the rules and they're bad bad unAmerican devils

Amiga, mdrowe00 and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...and to that point...
    [​IMG]

#1233 mdrowe00, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

The state of the republican party

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

An infant or a 30 year old man isn't dependent on someone else's body for respiration. Isn't literally physically attached to someone and relying on their biological functions. Talk about intellectually dishonest. You're arguing that we can't compare a sperm to an embryo but are simultaneously arguing that a 30 year old man is similar to an embryo.

#1235 rocketsjudoka, Sep 6, 2021
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, nothing that infringes on another person's rights.

DD

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I personally have moral reservations about abortion and my honest answer about when life begins is, "I don't know". The issue though is as a man I will never have to make that decision for myself. If I get someone pregnant I will certainly weigh in on the decision but other than giving over some genetic material biologically I'm doing nothing to sustain that pregnancy. As moral beings living in society with participatory governance we certainly have a say in what effects of legislation there are in all of society but at the same time we need to consider who bears the greatest burden of that legislation.

It's a frequent argument in Conservative circles that local government governs the best. In fact you, StupidMoniker, bring up the very point that you feel you get little from taxation so therefor there should be little taxation. What more local governance is there than one's internal body.

This is very much a case of an outside power deciding on what happens internal and given that pregnancy is taxing on the body to pay a tax for that whether they feel they are getting anything out of that.

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

LOL. I have never been a white supremacist or said anything in support of such an ideology. As far as I know, no one is pro-COVID, I have no idea what would possibly be interpreted as such a stance, maybe saying eradication is impossible and that I believe it will be around forever like the seasonal flu? I have never said anything about running over protesters outside of the context of self-defense, which is a pro-life stance. The only person killed in the 1/6 riot was Ashley Babbitt, and I was the one saying the officer was not justified in killing her. Yes, I am pretty consistently pro-life.
    I am not a member of the Republican Party.
    I never said they were, I said they are human beings that require the proper conditions to survive, just like embryos. If you dismember a 30 year old man and suck out his brain with a vaccuum, he will die, just like a fetus. The difference between an infant an a fetus is age and location. The difference between a sperm and an embryo is one is a gamete, the other is a complete human being.
    This is absolute nonsense. Every law affects all the people in the jurisdiction of the law. It is perfectly reasonable to comment on state sanctioned homicide.
    The one who most bears the burden of legal abortion is the person being killed. Your formulation ignores that life and considers the issue only in the context of bodily autonomy. Protection of the right to life is enshrined in the Constitution of the United States and every state. So generally yes, more local decision making is better, but the protection of fundamental rights to life, liberty, and property are universal. As I said earlier in this very thread, the Pro-Choice position is entirely dependent on denying the humanity of the child. If that humanity is recognized, there would be no argument that their death is justified by the cost or pain or fear of the mother in bringing the child to term.

#1238 StupidMoniker, Sep 6, 2021
  19. dmoneybangbang

20. Invisible Fan

The Texas law isn't even about 3rd trimester abortions. All it takes is 6 weeks.

The hillbillies really swung for the fences at the football stadium.