1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I understand what you're saying, and I have no doubt that your anecdote is accurate, but the stats don't lie and that's all I've posted.

As I said before though, the numbers don't really matter if you happen to be the unlucky outlier.

In the ICU you'll see a disproportionately high number of outliers and that can skew perception, but nothing I've said is to take away from the seriousness of the situation it's only intended to give perspective that can be easily lost.

I personally feel like anyone of age that isn't currently vaccinated is a moron that is taking an unnecessary risk with their life.... but the vast majority will be fine even if they take that risk, but that's no consolation to the few who won't be.

Hang in there, no matter how it may feel at the moment, this really is nearing the end.

Attached Files:

2. Roscoe Arbuckle

I have friends who are "unvaccinated" including myself. I know I've been exposed multiple times. Anyway, a friend of mine was "exposed" to her uncle who tested positive. She has to be quarantined and tested for the next two weeks. I think she is 10 days in. I'm the only friend of hers who isn't panicked by her being around me. And the doc called her at 6:30 yesterday. She tested negative.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, very true.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just learned a (younger) cousin of mine is now enrolled in a UTMB study on long COVID. Third hand here, but apparently most or a lot of people who have long COVID show a glaring deficiency in growth hormone. They're trying to figure out chicken and egg there, but my cuz has to now shoot HGH on the daily. Will have to keep an eye on her slugging percentage.

mikol13, Kim, ThatBoyNick and 2 others like this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Interesting. Will be interesting to see if that affects pregnant when and their offspring, too.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#new-hospital-admissions

Hospitalization in Texas is nearly at it's all-time peak

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't know what you classify as the end of this, but for the hospitals, dr's, nurses, near peak levels of hospitalized patients, that are still continuing to grow, isn't going to feel like the end, he's in the middle of a war as far as he's concerned.

Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure there's some who feel that way because they can't see the larger picture. I'm sure quite a few grunts on the front lines in December of 1944 didn't feel like the war in Europe was about to end either, their feelings didn't change reality though.

As more people get vaccinated and natural immunity every single day, the end of COVID-19 draws ever closer.

This time next year everyone will have moved on to the next thing to fear.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Damn that’s a good point, if only some people stopped feeling and started thinking factually and intellectually, if people saw the bigger picture like you everything would be so much better for the people working in the ICU

[​IMG]

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

My grandmother’s first cousin (aged 63) died yesterday from Covid. She had breast cancer about 5 years ago and was concerned about the side effects she read/watched tv “informed” her on and how they would effect that and her high blood pressure. Her husband took the vaccine and got over covid in 48 hours, while she died 5 days later.

FrontRunner and Giant9erRocket like this.
  14. conquistador#11

Damn that doesn't even sound like DeLaHoya more like Chicano Vader.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

didn’t even realize this was a couple days ago. Quick recovery…monoclonal antibodies are great

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

These are updates:

From ABC News:

COVID-19 live updates: 345 children hospitalized with COVID-19 in Texas over weekend
    The U.S. daily case average remains around 153,000 cases a day.

By Julia Jacobo,Ivan Pereira,Emily Shapiro,Meredith Deliso,Morgan Winsor,Catherine Thorbecke, andMarlene Lenthang

Last Updated: September 5, 2021, 6:51 PM ET

The Texas State Health Department revealed Sunday 345 children were hospitalized with COVID-19 over the weekend.

As of Sunday, there were 73 available staffed pediatric ICU beds, according to the health department.

Since school began in the state last month, 52,000 students have tested positive for the virus, the health department data shows.

-ABC News' Gina Sunseri

From CBS News:

Burbank, California — Just a few months ago, it looked like the nation was slowly emerging from the depths of the coronavirus pandemic. On July 4, the average number of daily cases was under 12,500. Two months later, that number jumped to more than 160,000 — an increase of more than 1,000%, according to data from The New York Times.

Even with high vaccination rates, such as in Los Angeles County, health officials are urging residents to not let down their guard this Labor Day weekend.

The Delta variant is driving hospitalizations nationwide to levels not seen since January: There were 89,916 patients on September 2, and 89,657 patients on January 30. Daily deaths jumped 131% just over the last month, per CDC data.

ICU beds are running out in Georgia, Kentucky and Hawaii. These surges come as more kids head back to school starting Tuesday.

Since the start of this academic year, COVID outbreaks have shut down at least 1,000 schools across 35 states, according to Burbio, which tracks school opening data. Parents are worried about COVID in the classroom.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, chief medical adviser to President Biden, addressed the situation on CBS News' "Face the Nation" on Sunday.

"All the data that we are collecting right now does not give us any definitive information that the Delta variant is more severe in children," he said.

In Oregon, 35-year old Heather Greeley just died of COVID.

"I kissed her on the top of her head and told her I loved her and that's the last time I saw her …" her fiance, Tyler Birk, said. They both had been fully vaccinated. "We joked about it ... she said, 'Well maybe I'm getting COVID" ... I laughed at her and said, 'shut up there's no way, no way, right?'"

Meanwhile, the Biden administration plans to offer Pfizer vaccine boosters starting on September 20 — if approved by the FDA. Moderna boosters may soon follow after that.

#12336 Deckard, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

While tragic, I don't see how that has anything to do with anything I've said.

Do you believe I'm against vaccination? That couldn't be further from the truth

#12337 Bobbythegreat, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The whole "ignore the objective facts, focus on misleading anecdotes and feelings" BS might make sense to you but it's entirely backwards.

When the facts point to one thing and you counter that with "but I've heard some random people don't feel that way" you're either lost or arguing in bad faith.

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

sounds similar to that one idiot in this thread

FrontRunner likes this.
  20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry man. This is the problem with all the anti-vaxxers, they believe there is an infinite source of labor and resources. They simply don't care at all besides advancing their agenda. It's our failure of our educational system that individuals can't use their brains to put two and two together.

Kim likes this.