1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I kind of always assumed that the official numbers were low due to how many people god COVID but were asymptomatic or had such light symptoms they were never reported. For example, if a single mother got COVID and she had 3 children living with her, that's likely 4 cases of COVID, but only her case would be counted if the 3 children were asymptomatic and never tested or treated. That's not just a random example, that's an actual situation that happened last year. It stands to reason that there are a lot of other similar situations like that.

As a result the infection fatality rate of COVID was probably always overstated.....but it's still the "boomer doomer", meaning the overall infection fatality rate doesn't matter if you are over 50, or even worse, over 80. Unlike other respiratory illnesses, there's next to no danger for young people, in fact, the Swine Flu from 2009 killed nearly three times as many children who were 17 and under in less than a year than COVID has in the last 18 months....but COVID is MUCH more fatal to the elderly, and that's who controls nearly all of the wealth in the country, which is the reason for the over the top authoritarian response.

Put those who control all of the wealth in danger, and they'll cause the whole world to stop

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Stupid people who literally take drugs intended for animals exist, but when you conflate those people with those who take human drugs prescribed by doctors, you are being dishonest at best.

It's like last year where those same people had ignorant lay people convinced that hydroxychloroquine was a fish tank cleaner.

You have people actively suggesting that you should refuse to take medicine prescribed by their doctors based on talking points they heard from dishonest political pundits on TV.

Ivermectin isn't necessarily "horse dewormer", hydroxychloroquine isn't "fish tank cleaner", and sodium chloride isn't necessarily road de-icer.

When Joe Rogan talks about taking a drug prescribed by his doctor, he's not talking about taking veterinary pharmaceuticals, so reporting and talking about it that way is dishonest and irresponsible at best since it's potentially dangerous to tell stupid people not to take medicine doctors prescribe them.

Now, full disclosure, I didn't take any of that nonsense when I had COVID, but I didn't really need to take anything other than a particularly well made hot toddy and get a good night's sleep. I'm not suggesting anyone take anything not prescribed by a doctor.....I'm just saying that we shouldn't be taking medical advice from dishonest talking heads in the press one way or the other.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Do they notify the donor so they can donate plasma?

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m honestly not sure, I saw a snippet. Need to read the entire report for details.

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Ziggy likes this.
  6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really stupid people minimize a global pandemic that has killed millions, overwhelmed healthcare systems (including in this country), and whine about the "authoritarian response".

#12306 gifford1967, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They'll be washing down their Big Mac's with horse semen next.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, I suppose I should have expected a simple minded response like this at some point. I guess I'd ask you to discuss what I actually said with something of substance or don't make me laugh at you.

The intersection of cowardice and ignorance is a strange place.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

CCity Zero likes this.
  10. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

They stopped testing for antibodies in the blood when donating in the Austin Area as of July 30th which I found disappointing. They do however still test for Zika.

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

My Dad's unvaccinated cousin (58 years old with no underlying health conditions) ended up dying. He's the 20th person we know that has died. 5 of the last 6 were all under 60 (two were 28 and 30 respectively).

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

In my experience, they do. I give blood regularly and gave plasma a few times after I had COVID in June of 2020. They sent messages asking me to come back to donate plasma each time.

Andre0087, CCity Zero and Deckard like this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You must know a LOT of people.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Ah man, I'm in Austin... I need to be donating blood regardless (type O+) and haven't recently but was thinking this could be some extra incentive to help out others if it did show antibodies etc. I have the vaccine but this allergy season/year etc has been my worst here I can recall - especially this last week - keep thinking I might have had some exposure by now but don't really know.

I know I need to go more though just to help out so thanks for the info on zika.

16. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

I hear you on the allergies, Ragweed It looks has been high of late and causing some crazy sneezing fits. Allergies and Texas Yeah!

UT is doing testing for antibodies you can participate whether vaccinated or not. Within a few days you will receive your antibody counts from either the vaccine or from infection. I believe you can sign up at the link below. People in the area were going to a testing center in Cedar Park

https://sph.uth.edu/projects/texascares/

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

We do. My Dad ran a business for 40 years and has a wide network. He's also in the age where people were hit hard (over 70), so a lot of his relatives and former classmates died last year. Multiple people he had worked with over the years passed away from it.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Very cool, thanks for heads up!

Andre0087 likes this.
  19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

We have to show some compassion or we are no better than them.

20. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I may be biased in my perspective since I only take care of ICU covid patients but I can guarantee you that in the last 10 weeks while ive been in the MICU out of the 40 people ive put on the ventilator at least half were under the age of 50. Only one of those 40 were fully vaxxed. Only 3 got out of the hospital to an LTAC with tubes in their throat. That’s not counting g all the deaths that could have been prevented if we had supply lines to take care of all the other non covid diseases in the hospital. As I left work today we had a waitlist of four critically ill patients without a bed in our MICU that were being boarded in the ED with active bleeding and infection.

the casualties of covid aren’t just those who have it. It’s anyone who could potentially need our services but we sadly do not have the capacity or staffing to deal with it.

the future ramifications are also endless. So many nurses, respiratory therapists and physicians are likely to leave the field. We’re all burnt out and exhausted. If people don’t realize how stressed the medical system already is they’re in for a rude awakening when the staffing issues come to a head too.

Kim, Deckard, Amiga and 9 others like this.