1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

666 new Texas laws go into effect Sept1

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I hope it's more a physical medical condition rather than a mental one (such as anxiety and depression).

Raising and bearing children is tough though, and I don't think a law like this can cure a social ill.

joshuaao likes this.
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The more intelligent and knowledgeable a society becomes the less it will believe in religion. Hence the decline of church attendance and the rise of individuals who classify themselves as having no religious affiliation. Why? Because the whole concept is ludicrous which is why the Church has to keep the sheep bleating that it’s all about faith! Ignore the lack of logic and just believe! (and hand over 10% of your income, don’t forget that’s pretax now).

I find it appalling that supposedly intelligent people believe in Noah and his magical zoo boat. Those stories were fun when I was a kid but just like Santa and the Tooth Fairy eventually you have to grow up.

Yung-T, rockbox and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rashmon likes this.
  4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Did you just try and draw a parallel between a walking, talking toddler and a 6 week old embryo that hasn't even developed a central nervous system?? Was that supposed to be some sort of mic drop?? The fact that most of the people in support of this law don't even have enough of a grasp of the basic science to understand how stupid your post is pretty much sums up the crux of the problem.

And to answer your ridiculous question, yes a 3 year old can survive outside of the womb. You understand the difference between being pregnant and actually being a parent, right??

5. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've just skimmed through this thread since my first post and am not surprised at the passion brought up out here. I personally have reservations about abortion but as a man I don't have to make that decision. I did have an ex who is still a good friend who had an abortion before I knew her and have heard from her and other women how painful of a choice that is.

These debates are often colored by arguments about women just wanting abortions out of convenience, so they can travel, look good in a swimsuit or etc.. While that might happen that doesn't match what I've heard from women who have had abortions. In every case I've heard it was a difficult decision and often was driven by that they were very poor at the time and also the father who impregnated them had left them or made it clear that they weren't going to take any responsibility for the child.

I also have a friend who had been raped by a family member (not immediate family) got pregnant and decided to give birth. Her daughter was born disabled but last year graduated from the University of Minnesota with a degree in journalism. For my friend and her daughter though her life hasn't been easy and they dealt with many bouts of poverty, stigma from her family and having to leave her both her church and tight knit community.

In all these cases the women bore the brunt of the decision whether to abort or keep the pregnancy. The repercussions of that decision were with the women even though there was someone else involved.

The problem with this issue is that it's not easy to raise children. Making sure they are fed, clothed, sheltered and educated takes a lot of work. To use a trite cliche, it takes a village. The problem with this law and others is that it doesn't make it easier to raise children, it doesn't make it easier for women to control their reproductive rights so they can have children when they want to and when they feel they can raise them best.

Instead of empowering society to help women it empowers society to spy and hound women when they are facing one of the most difficult decisions they can face. It criminalizes their reproductive rights whether they choose to exercise it or not.

This law does nothing to help bring children into this world that will be loved, healthy and can be raised to adulthood. If we really want to stop abortions we should be looking to support women and their decisions rather than punish them..

#226 rocketsjudoka, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    Yung-T, IBTL, joshuaao and 10 others like this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yeap. Besides the horrible way this law was constructed and the two extreme sides on abortion, just looking at the effect of this law (plus reduction of families planning and reproductive services), you may end up with more abortion long term. The law will put pressure on women who can't afford to care for a child, possibly producing a new generation of poorer families which is associated with more unwanted/planned pregnancies which are associated with more abortions.

Study finds highest abortion rates in countries with legal restrictions

Abortion rates are highest in countries that legally restrict access to terminations, but lowest in high-income countries where abortion and contraception are accessible, a new study has found.

Women in the world's poorest regions are three times more likely to experience an unplanned pregnancy than women in the global North. Abortion rates are also highest in middle- and low-income countries, the research found.

The number of unintended pregnancies has dropped globally over the past 30 years, but the proportion of abortions has increased — though there has been a slight decline in countries where abortion is broadly legal. The findings are part of aLancet Global Healthstudy by the Guttmacher Institute, a sexual and reproductive health research and policy organisation, and the United Nations' Human Reproduction Programme, published yesterday.

"These findings emphasise the importance of ensuring access to the full spectrum of sexual and reproductive health services, including contraception and abortion care, and for additional investment towards equity in healthcare services," say the authors.

"Access to safe and legal abortion as well as contraception increases reproductive autonomy. Limits on access to services, in contrast, contribute to unintended pregnancy and, when access is limited, unsafe abortion."

Yung-T, Rashmon, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I always found the term Conservative Christian to be an oxymoron. The Jesus in the bible was never conservative or judgmental.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pretty easy to flood that site with bogus reports. for example I just reported @DaDakota whose many posts here I actually sincerely consider to be abortions. I asked for my $10,000 in amazon store credit, can't wait to spend it

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

who pays the $10k bounty? the taxpayers of texas?

also, i have never understood how anyone who claims to be a christian could have ever supported trump...there is very little he has said or done in his life that is in line with the teachings of jesus. in fact, much of what he did and how he treated others goes totally against christian values.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. bobrek

Yeah... they should have a pay version of that site where you can read the reports.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately, some Christians vote based on which party represents their beliefs. They will forgive/look past the individual if he/she aligns with the way they would prefer this country to be governed.

Honestly, that's not what bothers me. What bothered me during the Trump presidency, and even post-presidency, regarding Christians and Trump, is the fact that many defended him as a good person. You would call into question his previous issues and even his recent issues (such as being a huge liar), and they defended that. It bothered me, that individuals who I believed had a solid grasp on their beliefs (even if I disagreed with them) were willing to defend the man.

It's one thing to pray for hose in power and hope that God guides them to make good decisions, but it's another thing when you are willing to sell out your core beliefs to defend the actions of the man. Once again, I can respect (sort of) if you align with his party values, but I can't respect if you ignore the despicable person that he is.

#233 ElPigto, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  14. bobrek

Yeah...I have no complaints when someone supports his politics because people support and don't support political stances since forever, but when so many people support the man??? I just don't get it.

ElPigto likes this.
  15. SuraGotMadHops

Just for the record, I have said repeatedly that Trump is an a-hole, I don't think he is a paragon of values or decency by any means. But I don't have to have coffee with the man, I will never meet him or come across him, but I do have to live in his country. Policy- wise, he was superb in my opinion.

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I had pastors and other Christian acquaintances that I have as friends on Facebook pretending the guy was the 2nd coming of Jesus. They were so blinded by whatever loyalty they had to the man that it almost seemed like they idolized him. I saw it across the board in this country. It was disturbing.

I'd like to think I'm a reasonable person, I try my best to understand where each side is coming from, but man, Trump was a different beast. If I actually believed in the Bible, he is one of those individuals that I would not have been shocked if he was the anti-christ. The guy had that sort of scary following. Thank goodness he lost the election. Biden certainly wasn't my first choice (team Buttigieg here), but at least he is a decent individual, despite whatever rhetoric is being thrown out there right now (I know you don't like him, don't have to remind me).

deb4rockets likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pretty sure that's not gonna pass the echo chamber sniff-test

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think a president's values have more important ramifications than not wanting to have coffee with the man.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The echo chamber of believing that a president's values have ramifications beyond not wanting to have a cup of coffee with the man?

That echo chamber?