1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Heck no
    Overpaid guard who can’t shoot worth a lick
    Might as well give Dwight Howard a max contract

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

The biggest issue is 35m vs 13m for a guy who hasn’t improved in any aspect.

3. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Yeah that contract though I might be crazy but I’d rather the rockets finish out with Wall’s contract over Simmons.

And yeah we can’t argue against his lack of drive. I don’t want him in Houston

Easy likes this.
  4. Xopher

Xopher Member

Since we are just throwing **** out there.

Simmons to Golden State
    Gordon and Wood to Philly
    Wiseman and Kuminga to Rockets.

5. amaru

amaru Member

Simmons is incredibly overpayed

Nook likes this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

But how do you know? Has Simmons been given
    the same opportunities as Giannis?

Giannis is more of an Oladipo score first type that can pass some. Simmons is more of a Jason Kidd penetrate and pass first. Both maximized in height.

This is why Philly got mad at Simmons for passing instead of dunking the ball. He has
    the point guard mentality. Your description of Giannis is the same I could superimpose with Simmons if I instruct him to do so.

Like Porter Jr with the Cavs, Simmons has been utilized wrong. Many of us saw the talent of Harden being wasted as strictly a shooting guard.

Let Harden be a point shooting guard....and the rest is history. Let Simmons be a point PF or Center. I see Simmons have much greater vision in the half court than Giannis.

For too many years Simmons has had to
    play point PF with an Embiid clogging up the
    paint with his 30+ frequency post game.

My point is like Porter getting away from Sexton,
    Simmons has to get away from Embiid. Harden like getting away from Westbrook and Durant
    USG%'s.

Surround Simmons with 3-point shooters and
    let Simmons play point center or PF. Let him
    handle the ball 80% of possessios when on the court. And don't get me wrong....I've seen him
    sets screens for others. He just doesn't know how to maximize his potential as a roll-man.

To Giannis's credit, he did it well in the playoffs.
    I would have Simmons study what Giannis did in the playoffs and copy him as far as setting screens and diving to the rack.

Plowman likes this.
  7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

What part of this makes people think he is good for our team? We ranked 27th in 3pt shooting last season iirc. Is anyone seriously dumb enough to want us to take a gamble on Simmons and basically reset and restart our build process IN HOPES that he does well? If that was the case, we would have traded Harden for Simmons instead of Oladipo last year.

#127 chenjy9, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    luckyman76 likes this.
  8. alethios

alethios Member

I would say a hard pass on Simmons, let CW play this season while developing Sengun and trading CW either at the trade deadline or at the end of the season. We're not going to make the playoffs and Simmons would be gone after this season anyway, so from a developmental perspective, he doesn't make sense on our team.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

10. dmoneybangbang

Make it Moody instead of Wiseman then pull the trigger. But I don't see Philly biting at this unless they've exhausted other options or GSW throws in a few picks to Philly.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol i am going with the analytics and eyetest not meaningless accolades.... allstar in the east doesnt mean anything...wall and oladipo were allstars and they dont even know how to throw a lob pass lolololol

so wood is only a better scorer and shooter? lolololol its like saying curry is only a better shooter and scorer than eric gordon ...yeah good luck with that

contract does matter because we still have him for 2 years and even if we sign him for max hes better than mr triple trouble

luckyman76 likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

oh i see tanking division of cf hates wood

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

What makes anyone think Simmons would just come here and embrace being a 4/5 who only initiates offense some of the time on some sorry team like ours? The wishful thinking is outta hand, let’s get real please

it’s far more likely he comes here and pouts giving minimal effort because he doesn’t want to be in Houston and will be losing a lot of games

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i dont think vuc can catch lobs as wood can, attack closeout as well as wood, or play defense as good as wood can

the injury excuse is just an indicator youre just finding any excuse possible to trade him for whatever reason is at the root of it

luckyman76 likes this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

because some of these guys/gals don’t know basketball

luckyman76 likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol what defensive issues? wood is solid defensively with a potential to be amazing with a good coaching and being on a non-tanking team ie a team trying to win
    and as per 'inability to stay on the court' wow anything to justify an opinion...lolololol!

luckyman76 likes this.
  17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'd imagine he would be the 3 and play more of a point forward role. Neither Green or KPJ is a true PG. Simmons would likely be the best playmaker on the team. And he could handle all of the tough perimeter defensive assignments.

For just the cost of Wood and contract fillers I would definitely take a chance on Ben. The Rockets would still have enough space for a max contract player in two years and Ben's contract expires when the current class is up for extensions.

18. dmoneybangbang

Hence "less mobile" like I said, but the outcome is still the same. Vuc has the better advanced numbers, even on defense. Vuc's best season produced 10.1 WS vs Wood's 5.1 WS (on Detroit).

It seems you are a bit too attached. You willingly to pay Wood +$25 million a year? I'm not for a rebuilding team.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Ben Simmons is a better player than Christian Wood.

Ben Simmons is an all world defender that can guard positions 1-5 at a very high level.

Simmons is also an exceptional rebounder and passer..... he is better than Wood at both of these skills.

Simmons is also slightly younger.

The question is HOW much better Simmons is than Wood....... is he worth the large contract he has? That to me is likely the deal breaker.

Simmons makes super max money, and he doesn't shoot well enough to get super max money AND cost the Rockets an asset like Christian Wood, who the Rockets can flip at the deadline (if he is healthy and playing well) for a pretty damn good return.

While Wood has some health and defensive issues, he is 20/10 and can move around, all at a price tag of 14 million a season for two more years. He also has shown he can hit the 3.

Because Wood makes so little, the number of suitors should be high...... he will possibly be very much in demand for teams that feel they are a player away from a title run.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Why would trading for Simmons reset and restart the rebuilding process? You still have max contract space in two years and his contract is up when the current class is up for extensions. I don't see a lot of risk in trading for Simmons if you are only giving up Wood and a contract filler.