1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

We’d have to at least listen if a deal included Wall and brought back an additional young asset or draft considerations. I don’t think CW will be here when the team is good again.

2. Denovo

Denovo Member

Wood has worked himself into an all star caliber player as well.

Very strange for you to downplay his talent and skill set like that.

6’10 bigs that can score from all three levels and create for themselves don’t grow on trees.

Wood had us actually winning games before he got hurt and we pivoted into a full tank.

hakeem94 and tycoonchip like this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Pray tell, what do you base value on?

In this case, and every case, always and forever value is based in some regard to performance. It’s not just people guessing or throwing darts at a board.

4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Putting aside the con that both players facing same mental obstacle beyond the arc, n the big pro both can play 1-5,
    i mean when we compare both, we should know even tho like giannis, simmons possesses the similar skill, size n physical gift that could support him to choose ball handling, thrives in the open floor, passing or finishing at the hoop in transition after bringing the ball through mid court, but while in the clutch at least we know what kinda player we gonna put in front of simmons to lock him up…RoCo, mikal bridgets, jerami grant etc., for giannis, he is so unique can literally squeeze everything outta his way to the basket (ain't in traveling situation), should opponent double team, he can easily kick the ball out n make opponent pay…
    i gotta admit i admire the freak less, however basketball-wise, i won't feel any hesitation to add him onto a short list incl 4-5 players being strictly labeled as UNGUARDABLE (unstoppable) nowadays, others: Lebron, Harden, KD, AD.

#104 DeBeards, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

in this case being some multi all star doesnt really matter when he's been the same player for the last 4 years who hasn't gotten better. Couple that with his ego problems and friction in locker rooms. The same conversations have been had every single season and people assuming well he'll get better. So yeah those all star accomplishments don't really matter right now. His value is what it is bc the league has seen him exposed over and over and over. Every case is different. There isn't some universal rule of oh he made the all star team, his value is sky high. Doesn't work that way. Full context matters

Nook likes this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

A ball handler that can't shoot and is afraid to shoot... I think you are on an island there with your unwavering support. This is especially true considering that Wood is actually a good fit for our young players whereas Simmons is total trash fit wise.

hakeem94 and luckyman76 like this.
  7. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I rather go with a leaser player that's a good fit for the young players we are trying to rebuild with than a better player that is a terrible fit. If we didn't have Green and KPJ and the argument was to build around the broken "star" that is Simmons... OK fine. That's not were we are as a team however.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Does anyone really want to give up assets to pay the $146M left on his deal? I wouldn't take that contract for free. We're not one of his preferred destinations. He's a Rich Paul client which means he's only going to go where he wants to. Anyone who thinks Simmons will play with a chip on his shoulder after being traded to a team he doesn't want is misreading his personality. He'd quit here harder than Pippen.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Simple deal,

Wood + Gordon for Simmons.

Rebrand Simmons as a 4 or 5 and rebuild his value as a stud defensive anchor, who gets his points in the post. Continue to try and develop his shooting and if he gets there great, if not, he is always flippable.

Plowman likes this.
  10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Who's down playing his improvement? There is just no way he's better than Ben Simmons at this point in his career and they are both 25.

Wood is still a defensive liability because he is way to skinny to defend anyone in the post and his rebounding is still suspect cuz he gets pushed under the basket a lot.

It's not like I said to trade him for a scrub. We are talking about Ben Simmons. DPOY candidate and multi time all star.

11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I think Simmons is a better fit because of his defense and play making. He could be our Draymond Green.

If all things go accordingly our future big man rotation should be Garuba and Sengun. We have 0 wings that we could throw at players like Lebron, Kawhi, KD etc. we need a long athletic wing like Simmons more than a Christian Wood.

Plowman likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

what is it with some folks and this comparison. Do the rockets have steph and klay on this team? Nah. So they want Simmons who has 3 more years on max to be Draymond without Steph and Klay. That makes total sense. I remember folks using the same ridiculous comparison about MCW being the Rockets version of Livingston. Just pure nonsene. The fit is garbage

So some of you basically want the Draymond on a max deal for the next 3 years owed $100 mil, who was without steph/Klay the last two years over Wood on a solid deal who is off the books in 2 and owed $27 mil total in that timespan. Let that sink in. People constantly complain about being flexible and not having money tied up, yet turnaround and want to be locked into another player on a max deal for 3 years who isn't worth anything close to it.

#112 YOLO, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    luckyman76 and MrButtocks like this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I exaggerated a bit. His value is still salvageable. But the point is, "buying low" assumes that his value will bounce back. It is possible, but is it likely though?

So far, all we have heard, from others and from himself, is that he does not possess the mental attitude to improve himself. And it doesn't look like that he is very coachable, so not likely to be willing to change his role in another system. This is what is driving his value down so much and the fixing of these conditions do not look very promising.

Basically getting him is a huge gamble because of the size and length of his contract, and the odds don't look good.

14. dmoneybangbang

....is he? Seems like a more mobile, more injury prone Nikola Vucevic type of player.

Wood seems like the classic overpay after next season. As I said elsewhere, he makes sense for the Harden era but I'd rather not hand him his next contract without Harden.

15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

From what I've seen of Jalen Green. He was a phenomenal shooter in the summer league. Wouldn't hurt at all to set him up for wide open threes. Same with Armoni Brooks.

People that say Simmons is flawed don't seem to think he can ever improve but somehow Wood will improve on all his deficiencies? How come Simmons can't get better? I'd take a chance on it. I wouldn't have traded Harden for him, but for Cristian Wood I'd do it in a heartbeat.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh summer league. So he's steph or Klay now? not sure. tough question there

How come he can't get better because he hasn't since. I mean the trajectory is telling you one thing, along with his history. The same conversations have been had for years. But somehow people are supposed to go the opposite direction and believe he's going to get better. Nah. Trading Wood for him would be flat out dumb

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

Nope not at all.

18. mightybosstone

From just the on-court aspect of the deal, yes I would make the trade. Simmons' lack of a jumper is a huge weakness, but Wood's defensive issues and inability to stay on the court are likely bigger problems long-term. That being said, I see two pretty big obstacles to this deal:

1. The Sixers want a point guard, and Wood is definitely not one. I'm not even sure Philly has a need for him with Harris and Embiid on the roster. So you likely would need a third team to flip Wood into a point guard for Philly.
    2. Rich Paul and Ben Simmons. They want him to be in Cali, and they're both massive assholes, so that's probably where he's going to end up. On this point, it's also the reason I don't want Simmons in a Rockets jersey. He just seems like a pretty selfish dude, and I think whatever team he goes to, unless they cater to his ever whim and stroke his ego, there's a chance he'll be doing the same thing in a few years.

Plowman likes this.
  19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

That's a hard disagree for me. Dray was never a mental midget that was afraid to shoot. If he needed to shoot, he was shooting it.

What do you think Tate is, chopped liver? Also, Garuba is not our future big man rotation, he is our future put on their best player defender. Sengun and for now Thiel is part of our future big man rotation.

20. chenjy9

Supporting Member

The answer is because one has actually improved since coming into the league. I can't really say the same about Simmons. His jump shot is still as broken as the day he was drafted.

Easy, luckyman76 and Kevooooo like this.