1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mario_v

mario_v Member

Christian Wood for Ben Simmons?

2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

simmons' 33m, absolutely a value before inflation-adjusted, maybe that's why philly need hire wizard morey to perform his spells on simmons…
    [​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why would you trade wood for high picks tho?
    wood is what you can only hope the high pick will develop into...

luckyman76 and Dobbizzle like this.
  4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Just watching a Rafael Stone press conference.

A Dumb media member said why didn't you trade for a Future Cornerstone.

I laughed so hard, Ben Simmons has and always is a liability on offense.
    Never been a shooter. Ben is a right handed person, his father gave him dumb advice to shoot lefthanded, look where he is now.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

since when is simmons better than wood?
    i dont see it
    2. another thing is money...wood is on a bargain contract....simmons is an overpay for what he brings

3. another one is troublesome personality and agency representing simmons

Deckard, luckyman76 and Denovo like this.
  6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol you don't think Simmons is better than Wood? I can't even argue with you then. One is a multiple time all star the other is a dude who gets waived and signed off the street for bargain contracts.. Wood is a better shooter/scorer. Ben Simmons is better than at everyone else.

Contracts don't matter cuz if Wood become as good as y'all want he's gonna be more expensive.

7. thekad

thekad Member

His value is at an all-time low because of a poor playoff performance and Klutch intentionally tanking his value. Obviously playoff defenses wouldn’t be an issue on this team since they have no shot at making the playoffs and Klutch would seemingly have no reason to tank his value here. He’d safely average a triple double on a sub .500 or worse Rockets squad and be able to be flipped, if necessary, for multiple firsts.

Of course, the Sixers aren’t trading Simmons for Eric Gordon and Christian Wood so the point is moot.

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

Ben Simmons with a $100 mill salary for the next 3-4 years, that's a **** no.

Jayzers_100, harold bingo and YOLO like this.
  9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Wood probably only gets the conversation started too. Regardless if we prefer him or not, for Simmons we’d have to give up more. Simmons is a significantly more accomplished player and probably will be unless Wood starts making all star teams himself.

not only that but having a shooter like Wood (and other shooters, like green) is the only reason you’d consider being Simmons here.

Id trade headaches (Wall for Simmons) but I’m not trading our one and only blue chip for him.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Wood is on a much better deal who isn't a max unlike simmons who's locked in for like 3 more years on a deal he isn't close to worth. It doesn't really matter what his accomplishments are when by himself he wouldn't be the same player who would be exposed. The poll says CW for Simmons. Not adding Simmons to Wood

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well Simmons is pretty hard to guard. He has that back up to mid court then charge at his
    defender, spin, cover tremendous ground, you have to build a 3 man wall at the FT line to
    stop it, type of action.

Simmons the better passer & defender.....probably about equal in rebounding & fast break.

But I get your point, it's easy to give Giannis the keys to the car as you watch his drive
    to compete. Whereas many question the Simmons desire to win at the highest level.

We have seen both fail at improving the jump shot regardless of drive to win it all.
    Simmons would have to be "The Guy" in Houston. Probably better suited for the Pacers
    or Thunder.

edited: I take it back, Giannis has the edge in rebounds by about 4 per game. But how much of
    that is rebounding his own misses? Moses Malone style.

#91 ApacheWarrior, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  12. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Not unless we can flip Simmons into real assets

13. TimDuncanDonaut

I guess I just don't understand the Simmons fascination. Will give a fast food analogy

Wood=whooper. $5
    Simmons=Big Mac. $15.

Even if you prefer a big Mac, would you pay 3x as much.

If people think Simmons is better, because of the all star appearances.... etc. Rockets would already overpay in salary, why the f would we attach more picks. If any thing, Philly should sweeten the pot, give assets while take on salary (Gordon maybe).

There's also fit. Ben can play off ball, but he made it known to his coach, that he wanted to ball handle. So Brett Brown did that before he got canned. Do ya'll want Simmons to be point forward instead of KPJ or Green? Simmon's hyped as good passer in transition, he's just OK as in half court. A ball handler who can't shoot FT.

Stone looked like a genius for not biting on this trade.

He dodged a bullet, don't get in front of the gun again.

Two more years left for Wall, almost there, no more bad contracts.

#93 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    DeBeards likes this.
  14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lots of good stuff in your post, oogie...

I'm ALL about the organic rebuild...to the point where I've chastised? hmmm .. those who would accelerate it unnaturally or in a way that is obviously not beneficial to our long term goals. I wanted it under Les. Along the path of a rebuild though, there are few opportunities that come along where a team can get a young player (24) with so much upside, A #1 pick who's been played out of position.. relatively cheap. Big overlay here. As you say, Ben's NOT a PG. you play him at the 3-5....We differ greatly on his numbers and impact though. Here, playing 3 -5...I see been putting up gaudy #'s right away..So his assists go down some, but his points/rebounds blow up. (worth that $$$)
    Not to take anything away from Christian either...Helluva player who still has some upside. He's got a sweet offensive game that still has some blossoming to do. (his J would fit well with Embiid)
    It's admittedly a big bet, perhaps unnecessary at this juncture.
    That doesn't mean it's not the right move.
    I've been a big believer in Ben Simmons since college, and that hasn't wavered. I'm positive once he leaves Philly, we'll see the goods.

oogie boogie likes this.
  15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I mean… I whole heartedly disagree with the take that accomplishments don’t matter in trade negotiations.

I know what the OP says. I counter offered our headache for their headache.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah in this case it really doesn't

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

How is him averaging a triple double on some sorry team raising his value? Unless he shows a willingness to shoot with combined with an improved jumper or performs well in a playoff setting, his value is not increasing.

luckyman76 likes this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Philly screwed themselves with his contract. He's a strangely shaped piece that only fits in very specific puzzles at this point. I'm not interested in trying to build around him and we already have some guards who need development playing time.

I've never seen a more irrelevant non-Rocket get this many threads here.

Deckard likes this.
  19. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Who would trade for a player who's a mental midget and can't shoot?

luckyman76 likes this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

B-b-b-b-b-but if we can get him to switch his entire playing style and get him to play as a 4 or 5 on our team he'll be a top 5 player!

luckyman76 and bleedroxred79 like this.