1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Why on this earth would you do such a stupid thing like that, especially when Wood is our best player
    on the Rockets Team Y

DeBeards, VickMackey and Stephen_A like this.
  2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's one thing not taking him as a centerpiece in a Harden deal, but quite another in a scenario involving Wood.

burlesk and Sooty like this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe, if they add thybulle and maxey and we add wall and house.

Still only a maybe.

4. HROZ

HROZ Member

I said yes

But it really depends. Is Ben willing to play the Draymond Green role.

Set picks then roll to the rim. Dunk it or make the pass to the open guy.

If he wants the ball in his hand then it's a no for me.

Mathloom, burlesk and ApacheWarrior like this.
  5. txtodd

txtodd Member

Clarence Weatherspoon?

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No. Wood and Simmons would be a perfect front court duo.

DeBeards and ApacheWarrior like this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

because he’s shown he can play as a traditional 4-5? He is who he is. He’s not going to be some dominant post player or develop new offensive moves. Not his game and never will be. What he can be is more aggressive to the rim and a better shooter. Players just don’t evolve into a completely different player especially for a guy who has such limitations in his offensive game.

luckyman76 and DeBeards like this.
  8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

In a ****ing heartbeat LOL

Classic sell high, buy low scenario.

#48 larsv8, Sep 1, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    burlesk, don grahamleone and Plowman like this.
  9. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Wood is only 25 and plays best at PF. He and Sengun can play together at PF/C without jeopardizing Senguns playing time. In fact, with good passing ability, Sengun compliments Woods game and spreads the floor with Woods 3pt shooting ability.

10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

A case of hype and blind faith. I don’t know if people on this board who advocate for simmons realize he’s just not that type of player in terms of getting buckets and dominating games. Someone mentioned it earlier but players are who they are and it shows during games. Simmons isn’t proficient at posting up, pulling up for mid range J, driving hard making contact to score, or shooting 3s. He’s just not that guy. So whatever hope people have for him just isn’t realistic. Much like Rondo has never been a scorer but improved his 3 pt shooting or Jason kidd late in his career. These guys aren’t scorers and it’s unrealistic to think they can be. Again what’s more realistic is coaching and training for these types of players to be more aggressive going to the hole or improving their shot. But again being a dynamic offensive player is more than just going hard to the paint and shooting. It’s maneuvering ur body to avoid defenders it’s dribbling it’s post moves and fadeaways and knowing how to make body contact etc. it’s an art and a state of mind. If you’ve never been like that as a player mentally and never developed those physical skills you probably never will as a pro nba player.

luckyman76 and eliefor3 like this.
  11. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

Once you get ben Simmons on the roster you have to build a team around him perfectly or you will be exposed.

burlesk and raining threes like this.
  12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I’m being very open minded about this. Why do you think Simmons will somehow develop into an offensive juggernaut when he hasn’t shown such capability in 3 years in the NBA? Sure he’s got a couple 30 pt games under his belt but in no way is this man a proficient or competent scorer. He usually scores off cherry picking on the baseline when no one is guarding him. Off elbows when he attacks on smaller guards. In short corner again when teams are playing zone and Leaving him open. Or he dribbles drive hard usually off high screens or when he has the open lane. This is how this man scores. How can he develop into a more aggressive scoring mindset when his game is predicated on passing off dribble drive and defense?

13. photojoe

photojoe Member

This is a quick and easy no from me

The trade that makes a ton of sense to me (although no way it would happen) would be swapping Kyrie and Simmons. Simmons defense on a team with KD and Harden, and Kyrie as a much more natural fit alongside Embiid

The Rockets stage of their rebuild, having KPJ, Green, promising rookies, Wood... Simmons makes zero sense to our team at this point to me

burlesk and Jayzers_100 like this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Ben Simmons from here on . . . .. will be .. . .Steve Francis in Orlando 2.0

Rocket River

15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Ben Simmons problem is mental. If M.Gasol who wasn't a 3 point shooter when he came into the league shooting 0 3 pointers to where he shot at least 300 3-pointers in a season. If we can unload Wall at any cost. But Simmons preferred destination is GSW.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I wouldn't even give them Wall for Simmons .... That's two extra years of max contract for a dude who doesn't move the needle.

I'm content to ride that contract out (Wall's) and either trade him at next years deadline for a star OR let it expire and have the cap space free to acquire a star in free agency.

Then there's the fact that he needs the ball in his hands which takes it out of the hands of these young guys who have vast room for improvement.

Just a simple No to Simmons.

Richie_Rich and Jayzers_100 like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

F no.

Jayzers_100 and DeBeards like this.
  18. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Well, 16 wins regardless.

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Only for wall straight up as this man said. Definitely not for Christian Wood. Wood can shoot. He isn't even an acceptional post player like giannis or clint. We experimented with a player that couldn't shoot in Westbrook. It forces us to go small ball again. Not interested.

DeBeards likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Simmons doesn’t want to be here, which he has made clear according to several reports through the media. After the season he just had, where he was an epic failure in the playoffs, Simmons is apparantley feeling unappreciated (I can’t imagine why) in Philadelphia. With the help of his agent, who has an ego just as big, or bigger, than Simmons has, the fellow wants to say adios to the Sixers, who foolishly gave him that enormous contract, and fly away to the West Coast. Last time I checked, Houston ain’t the West Coast.

So putting aside whether he’s a good fit here, we would be trading Wood, Wall and god knows what else to take on a huge headache Daryl Morey has given up on. I know Daryl isn’t hugely popular here these days in certain quarters, but I still like the guy and value his opinion. Morey is eager to rid himself of a very expensive pain in the arse. Again, a pain in the rear that doesn’t want to be here.

I know you would love to rid the Rockets of Wall, Plowman. So would a large majority of us, in my opinion, but I don’t think this is the way to do it. Simmons would whine, cry, and have a tantrum if we dealt for him. Being part of a multiple team deal that doesn’t have Simmons parked here? Sure, if doing so benefits us. In my opinion, anyway.

burlesk, tycoonchip, joshuaao and 2 others like this.