1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If it were a utility like CABLE, they would simply add a DEVELOPMENT EXIT FEE every time they lose a player.

2. Buck Turgidson

I have absolutely no idea why some of you people are hell-bent on moving Bregman to SS.

It makes no sense

3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It might have made sense before Bregman started having recurring large tissue issues. But NONE now.

raining threes likes this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

LT isn't an issue. We can Correa to almost any contract without LT implications. The problem is the 8-10 years Carlos wants and some team will probably give him.

raining threes likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The Astros signed Bregman to a five year deal in his first arbitration year. I wouldn't mind a similar move for the following for six years the years in their last CC year (or S2 Arb).

Valdez (S2 A)
    Tucker
    Javier
    Alvarez
    Urquidy

7. Buck Turgidson

Other than Valdez I believe those guys are all on rookie contracts for another 2 years.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Tucker, Alvarez, Javier, and Urquidy all hit arbitration after next season.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

I forgot how they did the Covid 2020 year...I guess everyone got a full season of service?

10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

yup

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. awc713

awc713 Member

Okay…let me play devils advocate for a minute…finances and market demand be damned…the year is 2027…Correa has since shifted to 3B & Bregman to 2B with Altuve retired…we’re in Yankee Stadium in the ALCS…Ohtani/Acuna/insert star NYY will overpay for is up, hits a roll over to the corner, Correa/Bregman turn a 6-4-3 DP to send the Yankees home…i mean, cmon…who doesn’t want to see that??

everyday eddie, Joshfast and Nick like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Does anybody here truly regret paying/extending Biggio/Bagwell even though by the last 3 years of their contract, they were huge liabilities and massively overpaid?

Market value is market value… both in terms of $$/year and the average length of a FA contract for an in their prime player. While there are very few true success stories when it comes to long contracts, Correa’s age actually works out in the teams favor. Still think the best move for him and his agent is to negotiate a deal that has a 3-4 year opt-out so he’d be able to get even more years/more money while he’s still in his early 30’s.

everyday eddie, RayRay10 and awc713 like this.
  13. awc713

awc713 Member

yup…baseball is as romantic of a sport as it gets, and being able to be a lifelong ‘Stro just “hits different” as the kids say. Would’ve loved it for George but understand why we didn’t/couldn’t. Happy to see that it may work out for Altuve like it did Baggy and Bidge (how do you type that one out?)…and would love for it to happen to Alex/Carlos. Time will tell, and obviously finances/market demand will dictate everything…but I can’t help but fantasize about how sweet it would be for Carlos/Alex/Jose to really stick it to our national haters by winning it all. It would be sublime and pure ecstasy with everything they’ve had to go through. We’d obviously take it whenever, but a WS in 2024-2028 with them still at the helm would just be so cool

desihooper, RayRay10 and Nick like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I tend to agree… knowing full/well what happens when teams hold on to players past their primes.

If they can put together another 3-5 year run of consistent winning/playoffs… that would put them at over 10+ years of being in contention. I’d gladly take another 2011-2014 as a result of that possibility.

I also do think these ‘special’ times don’t simply happen decade after decade. Even for the big market teams. The Astros current run is what Yankees fans have been chasing since they were in contention from 96-2000, featuring a myriad of homegrown players, key free agents, and a lot of good fortune.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If Correa we do sign Correa for 8-10 years, I'm hoping we front load the contract so his salary doesn't hinder us too much if we decide rebuild.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And if they decide to rebuild and a trade of Correa is the best thing for the team at that point, so be it.

They traded Berkman. They traded Oswalt. Both should/would have likely been career Astros had the front office/owner still paid attention to the minor league, and actually signed draft picks. But once those teams started losing AND they had nothing in the pipeline, they needed a full reset.

There’ a strong faction of people here who care more about the bottom line/taxes and probably do enjoy tracking prospects/draft picks moreso than the big league product. That’s fine. I expect most of the people to post daily on a message board to have a more advanced overall viewpoint than common Joe fan.

That being said, cities and generations grow up and get behind teams based on the stars and the big league product. Even though I have a fairly decent grasp of this team’s top prospects, I know not to get too attached to any single player that hasn’t put on an Astros uniform… far more of them are likely to fail/never make it… let alone make it and become a big-time star. Having a core like they do now can never be taken for granted.

And Crane/et. Al, know exactly what has the paying fan base coming to games… and buying jerseys… and helping him to afford keeping this team in the top 5 of payroll. Fan bases cheer (and pay their hard earned money) for household names that win.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I know this is extremely important, but I have changed my mind about re-signing Correa. We should give him 10 year 300m if that’s what it takes. I’m convinced we have our CF of the future in Meyers. Leon and/or McCormick will be a player when Brantley is gone. We should re-sign Correa, let Greinke and Verlander walk, bring Lee up next year and sign or trade for an Ace. If you find that ace, this will be an Astros dynasty for 5 years at least. If you don’t have to trade Leon he is insurance if Altuve starts to decline. This team is one Ace away from being one of the best clubs of all time.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Love it. Astros have a shot, albeit slim one.

20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

It's all a press ploy though. I mean "how is it 'out of his hands'."

He knows multiple teams will offer to pay him including the Astros. He will get to determine the terms he is okay with.

cwebbster and jim1961 like this.