1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Our species is just too dumb to do effective battle with respiratory viruses.

BallaDoc, Kim, Andre0087 and 2 others like this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I definitely agree, I think it's going to be important as this changes to let people know that the vaccine can at least hopefully help to prevent the health system from getting more stressed than it already is. I really hope we get lucky and these mutate to a less lethal strain/junk mutation but we haven't had much luck on that yet.

Andre0087, B-Bob and mikol13 like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I didn’t really need to learn what an eggplant emoji meant

with @SwoLy-D back, good thing this site doesn’t have one

SwoLy-D likes this.
  4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yuck. I don't think I'd ever use one of those if we had it. :eek:

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

LOL....I legit had to turn on subtitles there (for the first guy).....

6. toby

toby Member

Is it me . . . or does the Sept. 7th Vaccinate at the Plate make ZERO sense.

"The Houston Astros and MLB have partnered with Houston Methodist to bring you Vaccinate at the Plate. Walk-ins 12 years of age and older can come out to Minute Maid Park on September 7th from 5:00pm to 8:00pm to get a first- or second-dose Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine in the Union Station Lobby. As a benefit, you will receive two tickets to the September 7th game, two tickets to a game during the Astros vs Rays series* and a 2017 World Series Replica Ring!"

Isn't this guaranteeing unvaccinated transmission? I'm all for getting people vaccinated, but giving out free tickets to an unvaccinated population for THAT EVENING??????

Kim, CCity Zero, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^Yeah they usually tell you it takes two weeks for it to kick in.

The days after vaccination is gonna make them all super paranoid whether they really got it or not...

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hahahaha! Texas 3D chess. Get first dose at first base, second dose at second base, and free COVID served up with nachos!

Kim likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if it will have any impact to their audience even if this nutjobs die. Trump could of died when he got COVID and his supporters would denied he died from COVID and instead blamed the Democrats. It would of been one big conspiracy to rob him of the election.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Ivermectin is perfectly fine if you are taking it for human use. All those drugs he listed are perfectly fine. Getting vaccinated is still by far much more effective and proven to work.

#12291 robbie380, Sep 1, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    BallaDoc and Andre0087 like this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Trump and Rogan both sought immediate medical treatment and didn't act like it was a minor flu. Trump also got vaccinated even after infection....for whatever that is worth. If someone isn't going to be vaccinated then they need to take immediate action like Rogan did. I do believe that taking monoclonal antibodies inhibits the development of a proper B and T cell response. I disagree with him not getting vaccinated especially being 54, but he isn't treating covid with complacency...for whatever that's worth.

TexasTofu, ThatBoyNick and Andre0087 like this.
  13. thejav

thejav Member

i think Darwin might have one more win left in him...

Andre0087 likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

TexasTofu and B-Bob like this.
  15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

There is a difference between the one administered for humans by Doctors and the ones that vets use for animals. Doctors administering the human dose off label may or may not work, there is no evidence that it does, but it won't hurt you. The one that people are using for horses is killing people, and quite frankly, I feel no sympathy.

But here we are. People refusing a fully FDA approved vaccine that has been administered billions of times and was tested for a year but are perfectly willing to self administer horse medicine.

Its like NFL player refusing the vaccine. They get shot up with every type of shot that exists all the time, but won't take a vaccine.

Kim and TexasTofu like this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Part One:

A Child's Near-Death From COVID Rallies Support In Mississippi, But Few Vaccinations
    SARAH VARNEY · SEPTEMBER 3, 2021

The Allie Henderson who stepped out of her mother's car to a driveway full of cheering friends and family holding "Welcome Home" signs last February was a wisp of her former self.

After 10 days in the hospital with a near-fatal case of a multi-system inflammatory syndrome related to COVID-19, the then-13-year-old softball phenom and beloved, straight-A student from Hinds County, Miss., was lethargic and frail. She braced herself against the car's door frame.

But six months later, despite having watched a loved one struggle with the illness, some of Allie's closest friends and family remain unvaccinated.

Meanwhile, with the highly contagious delta variant swarming across Mississippi, the state has one of the highest per capita infection rates in the nation and one of the lowest vaccination rates. In Hinds County, where the Hendersons live, the vaccination rate against the coronavirus as of early September is 45% — well below the national average of 53%.

Stories like Allie's and her family's are playing out across the United States, as neighbors and friends who love and cherish each other are staring COVID-19 in the face, and still not seeing it the same way. Listening to the people in Allie's world offers a few clues into the whys of those dissonant views.

"I feel like it hasn't been tested enough," says Erin Acey, 16, of the vaccine. Erin is a cousin of Allie's who lives a block away and grew up playing wiffle ball with Allie in the backyard.

Erin's parents are also not vaccinated, nor is another cousin, Cara McClure, a hairstylist in nearby Clinton. McClure is 23 and suspicious of conflicting information she's heard about the vaccine.

"I try not to watch the news. I get it from Facebook," says McClure. "I really try not to talk about it at work because it's like politics: You don't talk about politics at work."

'Please pray. Allie is in the hospital.'

The gravity of Allie's condition last winter became clear when the prayer requests went out, months before vaccines to prevent COVID-19 were widely available.

Congregations across the area — in Crystal Springs, Hazelhurst, Wesson and Georgetown — prayed for Allie. Teachers at Copiah Academy, the teen's small, independent Christian school in Gallman, Miss., prayed before class.

Allie's grandmother texted the Rev. Wayne Hall, pastor at Jackson First, an Assembly of God church where the Hendersons have been regular parishioners. Allie was a fixture in the children's ministry, a vivacious child always in the middle of the action, and the Hendersons are an admired family of go-getters. "Please pray," the text said. "Allie is in the hospital."

"When the request went out, it was all hands on deck," says Hall, who hunts with Allie's dad, Brook. He recalled the private prayer he said aloud, "We believe in God to heal her body and are praying for Mom and Dad, who are walking through this, because there are a lot of unknowns."

Allie had felt crummy at school on a Monday in late January, but still managed to play in a basketball game that evening. A few days later, she was doubled over with stomach pain, and no remedy — not Tylenol, Motrin or baths — would break her 104-degree fever. LeAnn Henderson, Allie's mother, asked her best friend, Caroline Young, a nurse and fellow softball mom, "Why can't we get this fever to go away?"

At the emergency room, Allie tested negative for the coronavirus, strep and influenza, and doctors settled on removing her inflamed appendix. But soon after the surgery, her fever spiked again. Her blood pressure and oxygen levels dropped. Her eyes were eerily bloodshot and her hands splotchy.

"Allie was so weak, she was talking about giving up," LeAnn remembers.

An ambulance whisked Allie to Children's of Mississippi, a hospital in Jackson with a pediatric intensive care unit, where doctors diagnosed her with multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children. MIS-C, as it is known, appears to affect children two to eight weeks after an asymptomatic or mild COVID-19 infection. A blood test found antibodies to the coronavirus, and Allie began receiving steroids, blood pressure medication and intravenous antibiotics to fight the syndrome.

McClure, who often styled Allie's hair and took her to the local waterpark, video-chatted with her cousin. "She looked tired, drained — her face was white," says McClure. Already thin, Allie was losing weight. At the hair salon, McClure tried to keep the unfolding family crisis away from clients who were already spooked by the pandemic. Her co-workers would see her crying between appointments.

Outside the hospital windows, friends and family stood on the grass and held up signs that Allie could see from her room. There was an endless stream of food deliveries for the family: Chick-fil-A, chili from Wendy's, seafood pasta from Biaggi's.

'Parents began to get scared'

"Everybody in Allie's world knew about this — softball, school, church — it was on our doorstep," says LeAnn. "People had known adults who had gotten sick and been in the hospital, but not sick like Allie. I think it was like, 'Wow, this is real. And this happened to her.' They know how strong and athletic [she is]. She's a power hitter."

At Copiah Academy, Allie's absence registered with growing fear. "Parents began to get scared," says Rita Henley, a school administrator. The school had taken some COVID-19 precautions -- sanitizing classrooms, requiring students to wear masks and to physically distance themselves from each other. Students who tested positive for the coronavirus and those who shared classrooms or sports teams had to quarantine at home. "Some of the parents embraced it and some didn't," says Henley. "It reflected the differences in opinion that we have right now in our country."

As Allie came in and out of consciousness at the hospital, she fretted about her grades and about missing the remainder of basketball season and the upcoming softball season.

"Allie is a very aggressive athlete, always ready to practice and play hard," says Caroline Young, LeAnn's friend whose daughter plays on the same travel softball team as Allie. "That was the most poignant thing about the
    We saw a really strong teammate become weak."

On Feb. 7, LeAnn drove her daughter home to the cheers and open arms of a loving gaggle of friends and family. "I started crying, she started crying, everyone started crying," says Allie's cousin Erin.

They shared the family's COVID-19 ordeal on TV — as a warning

LeAnn shared her family's ordeal with a local television station. "I immediately went to the media and said, 'This is something else COVID can do. This happened to my 13-year-old. We need to look out for this.'"

Allie returned to school for a few hours each day and grew stronger. On occasion, she was overcome by seizures, passing out once in the bathroom at home and once on her way to her bedroom. One night, Allie awoke and couldn't feel her legs.

"I was screaming," LeAnn says, whose usual unflappable disposition had finally caved. By spring break, in mid-March, after neurology appointments and brain scans and heart scans, Allie started coming back to herself. She and her family got the vaccines when they became available.

At school, the questions overwhelmed her. To deflect the constant queries about her absence, she joked, "I said I had a bad haircut and couldn't come to school." But she didn't feel the urge to proselytize about the dangers of COVID-19. "I don't like to go public about personal stuff."

She suited up for a softball scrimmage and could barely hoist the bat above her shoulder. "It was very difficult because I couldn't do what I could do before," Allie says. She told her mom, "I just suck at this."

The crowd of softball dads teared up when Allie would try to swing the bat. "It's amazing that she's out there," LeAnn said the men told her later.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Part Two:

Seeing is believing — sort of

Students returned to Copiah Academy in early August. Masks are not required, nor is the COVID-19 vaccine required for those who are eligible. "Our internal conversation is that we do not feel we can require the vaccine unless the state requires it," says Henley. But "because of Allie, people — without question — know that this is a real thing."

Still, the shifting nature of the pandemic — the arrival of the delta variant, the news that vaccinated people can spread the coronavirus infection — has brewed confusion. "I truly think that we see too much back-and-forth on the news. I think it hurts people," says Henley, who is fully vaccinated against the virus. "People don't know what to believe."

Federal health officials say millions of Americans have been safely vaccinated, and vaccination reduces the risk of severe complications from COVID-19.

Wayne Hall, the pastor of the Hendersons' church, is reluctant to direct his parishioners to get vaccinated, though he says, "Allie's story has helped a lot of people really understand, 'Hey, this is not a pick-and-choose kind of deal. It can hit home anywhere.' "

His congregation, he says, believes in healing. "We believe in the power of God, and we also know God gives wisdom," he says. "If the CDC is saying things we need to abide by, we need to really listen."

At the hair salon in Clinton, McClure shares more openly now about her cousin's illness with her clients. "I'll say, 'my little cousin had it,' and we get to talking about it," says McClure. But even now, she doesn't push it. "When clients come in, we want it to be about them. We ask, 'Are you going on vacation?' We focus on them to make them feel good."

McClure does notice that others in her sphere have dropped their guard when it comes to defending themselves against catching the virus or spreading it. "They take everything for granted," she says." 'Oh, we're good. We're fine. We don't have to sanitize.' " Even now at the salon we try to make people sanitize, and they're like, 'Ugh.' "

McClure had a mild COVID-19 infection last Thanksgiving — headache and nausea — but it passed. Even now, she's in no rush to get vaccinated. "Even with the vaccine, you can still get it," she says. "Every day I feel like something about it is changing — there's a new strand," she says.

Erin, Allie's 16-year-old cousin, still isn't sure when — or if — she'll get vaccinated. She's nervous about the side effects and wants to "wait and see." In her view, the pandemic has "died down" and she's unfamiliar with the delta variant. Rather than believe what she sees on the news or hears from federal health officials, she says she would "rather read about it and see it myself."

"I know she has a different perspective," Allie says of her cousin Erin. "I would have a different perspective if it hadn't happened to me. I just know some people are like, 'My body, my choice.' Everything these days is about politics and nobody likes to be wrong."

It's very confusing, for my part," Allie says. "I want people to get vaccinated — because I know what it feels like."

Some of her closest friends have gotten the vaccine. Was it because of what happened to her? She doesn't hesitate: "Yes, ma'am."

PBS News producer Jason Kane contributed reporting to this piece.

Kaiser Health News is an editorially independent, national newsroom and program of the Kaiser Family Foundation. KHN is not affiliated with Kaiser Permanente.

Copyright 2021 Kaiser Health News. To see more, visit Kaiser Health News.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...hild-near-death-covid-vaccine-hesitancy-mis-c

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

With all the talk about "horse medicine" let's not forget that insane people actually put a road de-icer on their food!

Aren't dishonest framing tactics fun?

The people who do this kind of thing assume that their audience is embarrassingly stupid and far too often they are correct.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure if true, but saw a report that CDC said in antibody studies from blood donors that the number of cases is probably doubled.

20. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You might have a point if a significant number of people weren't literally taking medicine meant for horses.

Texas Poison Center sees ‘significant increase’ in ivermectin-related calls

According to Dr. Jeanie Jaramillo-Stametz, the Managing Director of the Texas Panhandle Poison Center, the Texas Poison Center has seen a nearly 200% increase in ivermectin-related calls across Texas from July to August. She said those calls are almost exclusively people taking the ivermectin meant for animals.

“The animal products were not tested in humans, and they actually use inactive ingredients that were not designed or tested in humans. So those are more dangerous to us,” said Dr. Jaramillo-Stamzetz.
    https://www.myhighplains.com/life-h...d-calls-urges-people-to-stop-self-medicating/

Animal supply stores report shortage of Ivermectin as people self-medicate for COVID-19
    https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/...medicate-covid-19/APOGTTT4FBH2NEQ6XHR6B6UOPE/