1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, this is what I'm saying so I agree with you. I also mean messaging in general - like I've personally seen someone try to pressure another person into getting it when their own Dr advised against it due to circumstances you have outlined. I know other than kids who can't get it - this is an extremely small small percentage.

TWS1986 likes this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

TMC key data trends:

• Yesterday, R(t) for the Greater Houston Area was 0.65. Any number above 1.0 indicates the virus continues to spread in our community. It is important to remember that the R-value will fluctuate day-to-day due to normal variation in inputs. This is why we also look at the weekly averages to get a sense of the direction of virus growth in our community.

• Last week, the average R(t) was 1.04.
    • Yesterday, 1,344 people tested positive for COVID-19 in the Greater Houston Area.

• Last week, on average, there were 2,703 new cases/day.
    • Yesterday, TMC admitted 323 new COVID-19 patients in TMC hospital institutions.

• Last week, on average, TMC admitted 388 new patients/day, which is just below the previous week’s record high admission average of 390 new patients/day.
    • Within the TMC, there are currently 2,708 COVID-19 positive patients in hospital (ICU and Med/Surg combined).

• The last 14 days have seen the highest numbers ever of COVID-19 positive patients at TMC hospitals.
    • As of 8/28/2021, 2,158,305 doses have been administered by TMC institutions. Over the last week, an average of 2,917 doses per day have been administered

• As of 8/28/2021, 1,150,880 people have been fully vaccinated

Attached Files:

Amiga and TWS1986 like this.
  3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

7 day moving average went down pretty significantly, hopefully that continues.

4. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Question for the group here. A friend is in contact w/ COVID kids semi regularly as a teacher. We're having a Labor Day party coming up on Monday. How rapid are these rapid tests these days? Like could he get on on the weekend?

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Your friend is on the front lines, my friend.

There are OTC tests that take 15 minutes.

TWS1986 likes this.
  6. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Excellent. We are wanting to get him a test before the get together just in case.

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The OTC tests aren’t really good for snapshots, though. They say it is best to take a few a week 2-3 days apart to be closer to as accurate as a PCR. They come in packs of 2 for that reason. Never meant to be a one off.

TWS1986 likes this.
  8. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I haven't seen you post in forever dude. Welcome back I think?

Thanks as well for the advice.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Got bored and started going thru VAERS reports for under 18 deaths related to the vaccines. Only 21 deaths but 18 of them are Pfizer. Took some decent notes on the reports. They mostly seem to be cardiac arrest and cerebral hemorrhage related.

The strangest one was a mother getting vaccinated and then the next day her 5 month old infant developed a rash, fever, and wouldn't eat. The infant was diagnosed with TTP (Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura) and died 2 days later.

Another death also noted the patient had a prothrombin gene mutation which can cause excessive clotting. I wish there was more data on the genetic clotting disorders and complications.

For whatever it's worth Pfizer also seemed to have an EXCESSIVE amount of hospitalizations and life threatening events for the under 18 group.

200 out of the reported 205 life threatening events were Pfizer
    1047 out of the reported 1068 hospitalizations were Pfizer
    510 out of the 523 reported serious ER visited were Pfizer

Have they mostly been giving Pfizer to under 18?

If you look at over 18 then the deaths, hospitalizations, and serious ER visits between Pfizer and Moderna are roughly equal with Pfizer having slightly more. Considering Pfizer has been given to about 45% more people that would seem to indicate Pfizer might showing a better safety profile over 18.

CCity Zero and JumpMan like this.
  10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Pfizer is the only vaccine cleared for under 18, starting with 16+, and then 12+. It's very likely at this point some providers are "saving" Pfizer for minors.

CCity Zero and robbie380 like this.
  11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I think over 18, pfizer might be safer choice being its been more rolled out etc. looking at the numbers, but I keep thinking Moderna might still offer a little more protection against Delta but that was a while ago since I last looked.

I personally went with pfizer because my older parents who are in risk category, and other blood relatives haven't had any issues. I think if they got Moderna and it was similar results for them I'd probably have gone w/ that one though etc. But because I couldn't get till later in rollout it gave me more time to decide though. Obviously if there were no choice based on location I'd have gotten whatever

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Go check out curative they have locations all over Houston and Texas .. and California etc

https://curative.com/

#12272 tinman, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    TWS1986 likes this.
  13. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Hate seeing the cumulative hospitalization fatality ratio curve going up on the second slide of the TMC Covid-19 Response Team pdf. It's likely a sign that hospital resources are being stretched too thin. Either care qualify is decreasing or hospitals are only admitting the sickest patients. There is no reason why death rates should be increasing given that doctors know better how to treat patients now .

Looking at the TMC patient summary, for the last week, number of discharged increased by 3% (~2260 people) and deaths increased by 4% (292 people), that's a death rate of 11.4%, significantly higher than the cumulative average of around 8.8%.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Had a COVID scare over the weekend but thanks to rapid testing was able to determine that both myself and the person I was exposed to didn't have it. Felt comfortable enough to go back to Judo last night.

Breakthrough infections should be taken seriously and one reason why I got tested after a possible exposure but I felt confident that even if I was positive probably wouldn't need to go to a hospital. Further I wouldn't be going to Judo without vaccination.

15. TimDuncanDonaut

Gonna drop this here and bounce.

16. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

This is hilarious.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you have had a bad history with any vaccines (with complications listed in the medical record) and your doctor recommends against taking the vax due to those complications, who cares what other people say or pressure you to do? That's as bad as non-vaxxers taking the advice of Doofus EmDee or getting an online prescription for horse medicine.

And the reason why the "shame police" is out in full force is because we've already had a full rollout, the supplies are not limited, and it's up to each individual to do their part to get the 85%+ herd immunity to protect people who don't have a choice in taking the shots (young children, immunocompromised, allergic, etc...).

I'd say probably 10% are legit cases of not taking the vaccine. Ballparking it, there are likely a 1/3 doofuses out there who can but refuse to. They're more like posers who claim they can't process gluten or MSG but are likely mentally induced to believe they can't.

The remaining are either underserved poor or have a deep distrust in anything medical.

I think pressure is overwhelming to prod that 1/3 to do their duty as they can afford the time and energy spent...as they obviously can given their personal research on buying more expensive and unneeded treatments, but they just don't want to.

I do feel for people wrongly being lumped in that crowd. It is unfair but likely understandable on a personal level when told their doctor is recommending against it.

As for group pressure, it's just this inaction is adding up daily. Hospitals are starting not to take in anyone non-covid related and more kids are beginning to show serious symptoms from Delta unseen during Alpha.

BallaDoc and CCity Zero like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

With the data that's coming out, it's becoming more clear vaccines are not going to prevent infection anywhere near the needed rate for herd immunity to be achieved. The unfortunate reality is, vaccinated people can spread the virus at a significant rate.

The message of the importance to get vaccinated to prevent spread to others is going crash. The only relevant moral action to getting vaccinated in regards to others is the reduction in hospitalization, you get vaccinated and you're doing your part to help prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. Hopefully, this remains the case, because things can change mightly quick, especially with new variants.

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Its crazy seeing how many people test positive and still wanna talk to your face without a mask. Yall be safe out there.

CCity Zero and B-Bob like this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I agree, if someone has been told by their Dr not to (due to some reason medically/bad history of reactions to vaccines) then I think/hope most wouldn't listen to the people pressuring them. I also absolutely agree though that some people are lumping themselves into a group that they don't belong to without an actual medical recommendation too - similar to the gluten craziness for people that don't have a gluten issue etc.

I personally have been able to get vaccines throughout my life (no medical issue/bad history etc) and have had access to them, I truly feel bad for people that want them who don't even have an option to get one. For example, I have some global coworkers from different countries I have got to know over the years and it's pretty crazy for some of them, I mean when I told them we literally can pick the vaccine we want they basically told me if they ever even have access to a covid vaccine (or when they do) - they just get whatever is available regardless of manufacturer and don't get a say like we do here. We're truly fortunate and for some reason some people would rather try crazy remedies than follow actual medical advice...

plates300 and Invisible Fan like this.