1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afghanistan 2021

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jun 25, 2021.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know which of the experts said that. What I do know is that many people who are actually knowledgeable about this subject say that the Taliban and ISIS-K are enemies, not closely allied, while you said you doubt anyone believed that.

The Afghanistan war is over. No, I don't believe we are in a constant state of war as long as threats of terrorism are out there. To say we the war is over doesn't mean we should be any less vigilant about such threats.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Because of course, all videos posted by right wingnuts are the ultimate truth... like the "Biden falling asleep" video...

ROCKSS and TWS1986 like this.
  3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Sadly I’m almost half expecting Blackhawk helicopters flown by the Taliban to be hovering over the airport with the dogs swinging from a tethered rope by their necks like a piñata similar to what they did to the person over Kandahar …I pray for a quick and painless death to these poor animals. They like so many deserved so much better

#1603 ROXRAN, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    basso likes this.
  4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

sounds more like the celebratory gunfire. That’s not proof.

5. ROXRAN

My liberal friends on here said this is just a kid bouncing a ball really fast on the wall . Everything is apparently ok

6. Gioan Baotixita

I hope you're right, but there is a reason why all those people risking lives and limbs to be at the airport so they can get out. The reprisal is coming.

7. Gioan Baotixita

I would be laughing right now if I wasn't feeling so sad. The last 2 weeks have been brutal for me.

8. SuraGotMadHops

Bahahahahahahahahahaha you're referring to a civil case that was initiated at the height of Trump's 2016 Presidential campaign, no evidence was ever brought forward and the case was dropped in Federal Court. Wow, so you really did blindly buy into any and all anti-Trump rhetoric you come across. For a 99er I thought you had more critical thinking ability than that. How disappointing. Stick to the Rockets pal.

Gioan Baotixita likes this.
  9. ROXRAN

So true - I’m being half funny or trying to but it’s nothing to be funny about this is just sadness tbh

Gioan Baotixita likes this.
  10. Gioan Baotixita

This guy sucks balls, no need to reply. His takes are horrible and he's always wrong.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  11. durvasa

We know Taliban were firing guns in Kabul into the air, in celebration.

That would be the most likely explanation at this stage of those shots. I really hope that's all it is.

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This was always bound to be a byproduct of withdrawal. Whether you have Bush, Obama, Trump, Biden, etc in office, people were going to be left behind. You have a right to be outraged, I'm outraged as well, but this isn't a party affiliation issue.

I bet this administration (or any other for that matter) could have put forward the best plan of attack for full withdrawal and people would of still been left behind. This is what annoys me about you guys posting this ****, that you really don't give an actual **** about those that are left behind, but you are here pounding your chest because a seasoned democrat that ran on being a decent human being is the one in office and you can now score your cheapass political points. Otherwise, I guarantee you 100 ****ing percent that you would not ****ing care, and that's what makes your kind (hyperpartisan individuals) really toxic to our society.

ROCKSS likes this.
  13. SuraGotMadHops

It's lunacy. For the most part, most of the libs on here have the objectivity to call it like they see it, a colossal failure of epic proportions. Then you still have the few who fiercely call back to Trump's administration, give blanket statements like "no it doesn't," and put blame on the victims themselves. A three year old child is left in Afghanistan - it's the parents' fault. A mother of a slain Marine (rightly) lashes out at Biden for his Presidential malpractice - she's a Trump voter and a psycho. Biden doesn't have the discipline to not repeatedly look at his watch for a few minutes during a dignified transfer - well he's busy dammit!

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you can believe your own eyes, or you can believe the geniuses who had no evidence the ANA would collapse.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

^The human chumbucket of Middle East policy now arguing who let the dogs out.

VooDooPope likes this.
  16. durvasa

Well, if we want to be official about it, we never formally declared war and haven't technically been at war since WW2.

So, you can informally define "at war" however you like in this case. It doesn't make much difference to me what you want to call the current situation. We no longer have a military presence on the ground in Afghanistan and we aren't actively conducting armed conflict operations there anymore. That's what I mean.

Afghanistan has no real means to "hit" us in a conventional war sense. Counter-terrorism operations don't stop, whether it's Afghanistan or elsewhere.

ElPigto likes this.
  17. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's quite clear who let the dogs out: Joe Biden.

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Trump is not blameless. I think he would have handled the evac better but ultimately this was a tag team failure by our last 2 (really 4) admin's.

Biden calling this a success is stubborn. We are in a time where politicians cant admit any fault. And a time where many people roll with whatever they profess. It is hard to defend the sequence and outcome of the pull out.

19. astros123

astros123 Member

20. durvasa

I didn't listen to his speech.

We moved out a lot of people in a very short period of time. Just focusing on the narrow mission of getting out as many people as possible in the time we gave to ourselves, the end result -- while seemingly impressive in the overall numbers -- was not a success. The measure of success, at a minimum, was to get out every American who wanted to leave. We couldn't do that. And we lost several marines in the process. That said, it was a dangerous mission with huge risks, and I'm not going to call it an abject failure because it didn't meet our bar for a success. I'd grade it as INC. We'll see how things work out in the coming weeks/months.

Taking a wider view for the Biden administration, there are serious questions that need to be answered. What was the extent of the contingency planning we had in place for a swift collapse of the Afghan government? What were the drawbacks of retaining the airbase, as so many critics have pointed out we should have done? How much operable military equipment did we leave behind, why did we do so, and what sort of threat does that pose to us or our allies? Why weren't we fast tracking approval for SIV applications for our Afghan collaborators from the start of the year, in anticipation of this evacuation? Maybe there ends up being reasonable answers to these questions. From an outsider perspective, it looks like inadequate planning and preparation under an albeit challenging timetable.

ElPigto and Astrodome like this.