1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So how is the WAC going to work next year? The WAC is still FCS? Will it eventually go FBS?

DFWRocket likes this.
  2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Yes

They are currently going to be FCS this fall but there is rumors that they want to eventually end up in the FBS.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I sure hope they don't. Tarleton State in FBS? Abeline Christian? It's the same argument I made to my brother who was all for SWT/TS's move to FBS. What's the point? Your best case scenario is still some s*** bowl game, even if you went undefeated. They'd have to expand the playoffs to basketball tourney size to even sniff a playoff game. Why not stay in FCS and have a chance to play for something real?

DaDakota, Red.Glare and DFWRocket like this.
  4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Agreed.
    I was concerned about the move to the WAC since it will vastly increase the travel costs and currently SHSU is barely making enough on the football program to sustain it. I know the WAC will increase revenue, but will it outpace the increased costs?

5. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Yep...there are many delusional Aggies around. A large number of them are very irritating.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  6. ima_drummer2k

I'm on the fence.

I agree with everything you say. Like Keeler says, I'd rather have a shot at a NC every single year instead of having some meaningless bowl game played in December be your absolute best case scenario even if you run the table and beat everyone by 50.

But another part of me wants to shed that small school reputation, especially here in Texas with all the other FBS schools. FBS would mean more money, which would mean better facilities (maybe upgrading our high school stadium), which would mean better game-day atmosphere, etc.

Maybe if the FCS was taken more seriously here like it is in Montana, North and South Dakota, etc. I would feel differently.

I'm still pro FCS though. Just playing devil's advocate.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

You have a point. I don’t know if that’s a regional or conference mentality. The lay fan views everything other than Power 5 as inferior and that’s because of television. If Group of 5 wasn’t playing on Wednesday at 8 PM to fill an ESPN time slot maybe fans would take them more seriously. FCS doesn’t get on TV unless Deion is coaching. This Spring was an exception.

8. ima_drummer2k

Today it's official.

Goodbye Southland, hello WAC!

sammy and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  9. ima_drummer2k

Anyone know how we can watch the game Thursday night besides paying for ESPN+??

10. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

ESPN + was the only way. Might be worth it to get it, think 8 of their games is on it this year?

Good win on Thursday though. 41-16.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Sorry I didn't see this earlier...try this site next time, it's my go-to for various sports:

https://sports24.stream/

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  12. ima_drummer2k

Ended up springing for ESPN+. It's only 6.99 and I'll just cancel once the regular season is over.

Yep, good win on the road. It was actually a great weekend for the FCS with 6 teams beating FBS opponents including Montana beating #20 Washington. But it looks like we're still ranked #1 as we should be.

boomboom likes this.
  13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I know some Tech fans that won't be happy about being ranked below a FCS school.

[​IMG]

14. ima_drummer2k

Pretty accurate. I might put UIW a little higher. They have an FBS win (albeit Southwest Texas State) and just destroyed McNeese over the weekend. They've come a long way since we dropped 70 on them a while back. Kind of like the Arkansas of the FCS.

I might put us a little higher if we had curbstomped UCA like we should have on Saturday. I'm a little concerned about them dropping 35 on us. #1 ranked defending NC's with 22 starters returning shouldn't be giving up 35 points to anyone.

Anyone going to the BOTPW on Saturday? Look for me in my orange NC shirt with my wife in her purple sfa shirt. We always get strange looks.

DFWRocket likes this.
  15. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Nice win! Knew they had it in the bag from opening kickoff. Lol

16. ima_drummer2k

I had my doubts during the 3rd quarter, but you could feel the momentum swinging in the 4th. The Sam Houston side was so loud, the offense had to motion for us to quiet down. I have NEVER seen that at a Sam Houston game EVER.

Amazing atmosphere. It really did feel like I was at a big-time college football game.

boomboom likes this.
  17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Have to think that if Schimd played, the score would not have been that close.

18. ima_drummer2k

For sure.

Also, our All-American kicker was out. That's why we missed that PAT and later on went for 2. Didn't know that until we were on the way home.

19. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Just another boring win.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Texas State should just give up.

DD