1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

He looks a lot better in the full clip. Still after that dunk he shrunk for a good while after that. Even giving up another dunk shortly after which wasn’t included in that first clip.

Either way I don’t think there’s anything new there but original clip definitely made him look extra weak.

I don’t see anything new there. Shows some of his positives and negatives that everyone knew pre draft. Nothing to panic about if you saw, overlooked and STILL wanted him.

vince, 34to11 and Verbal Christ like this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yeah man - you cant have Adams "Dream Shaking" on you, dunking in your mouth, and shooting 18 footers uncontested strutting around pounding his chest. Put up some fight and show some heart. The noise was there pre draft that made him look like a soft Daddy's boy and this didnt really help too much, but at least he can hit an open shot with some nifty bank makes - and show off some guard style dribbling. o_O

CriscoKidd and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

Looked like a little *****

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

his face up game is nice w/ that smooth J

does look a bit like chris bosh in that respect

but bosh was an alpha who tried to carry TOR but simply wasn't good enough to be the #1 guy

he was very good as the #3 guy though

mobley is nowhere near an alpha and actually gives off a harrison barnes vibe

robbie380 likes this.
  5. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

He can really be a great player, and I think he will be, as long as the Cavs actually play him and do it correctly. He’s got a lot of minutes to share.

I was never wanting us to draft Mobley over Green for a second, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t have taken Mobley quickly after.

amaru likes this.
  6. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Eight years ago, Steven Adams was starting his NBA career as a rookie, averaging 20 minutes per game in the playoffs on the #2 seed in the Western Conference. Eight years ago, Evan Mobley was a 6' middle schooler who didn't really love basketball, hadn't committed full time to pursuing a professional career, and didn't even know he would be playing center someday.

Not really surprising that the guy who has been playing professionally at a very high level for nearly half the total lifetime of the other dominates.

Things that stand out to me watching this; the length is absolutely real, and it's spectacular. Any time that Mobley fully extends, there is absolutely no way that anyone is disrupting his jumper or his running hook. Big caveat here is that until he fills out his lower body, he's not going to get to that full extension very often, and as a result, I could seem him looking very pedestrian in his first year with a lot of lowlights that are gonna get him clowned on by Shaq and Chuck. It will develop with time; body control is definitely a skill that all NBA-level players will innately develop. To me, the thing that always jumps off the page in these one-on-one videos is how the veterans always look like they're playing at half-speed and winning reps through core strength and leverage alone. You see a lot of possessions here where Mobley tries to drop his shoulder into Adams and doesn't really get him to move, and then when he gets stopped/cut-off, he simply elevates directly in front of the defender without creating any effective space. He gets the shot off, but I'd honestly call all of these bad reps; he's not really winning the possession. It gives me flashbacks of old Dwight Howard post moves; his athleticism and length allow it to avoid being blocked and sometimes go in, but it's just not an aesthetically pleasing move because it's always contested or he's falling away from the basket.

I still have high hopes for him as a prospect. I came around to Green at the end mainly based on buying into the mental aspects over Mobley, but I want all 5 of the top guys to pan out and be great in different ways, if only so that the Eastern Conference gets a bit stronger, and to bring a bit of hope to some long suffering franchises.

7. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Yeah, this is likely one of the worst matchups for Mobley at this point in his career.

Adams is regarded as one of the strongest players in the league, he's pretty much going to go thru Mobley on strength alone, not even counting the weight and skill gap differences as a veteran.

Hate to say it, but Mobley is three or four years away. I still think he can be a beast with weight, and wish him luck.

CriscoKidd likes this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Can we have a, "do over?" So we can draft Mobley and suck for years. CF's style

asking for a friend

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Surprising? No. Disappointing if my team drafted him? Yes. You’d love to have someone that came in and contributed at a solidly high level immediately. That’s the goal of every lotto pick. Certainly over the last decade plus that’s easier said for outside players than bigs. Used to be for bigs too though. They’d come in contributing big time immediately… Though of note with more college experience.

Even still if I think back to UK/rookie AD, I think it would have just looked better than that.

Hes definitely tall long. To me it’s more than just weight/bulk right now. It’s speed. And shot. His overall speed is just a touch slow. So combined with the lack of bulk he really has to rely on his height and his shot. If he can get it off and make it despite not really creating easier openings for himself and instead just hitting shots over outstretched defenders… well that’s something. Otherwise it will be a lot of assisted FGs which it probably will be first year anyway.

I guess it’s noteworthy that Adam’s wasn’t playing that fast either. But then again he didn’t look like he was trying that hard and Adam’s isn’t fast.[/QUOTE]

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody knows til years later
    But for Morey’s picks they never developed into all stars
    The only all stars the Rockets usually develop are very high draft picks like Yao and Steve Francis
    Player development is what we need to focus on

11. vator

vator Contributing Member

The intensity in this drill is lacking. I go harder when I play one on one against my 10 year old son. Pushing, grabbing, fouling, hacking, trash talking...I do it all. Hard to draw a clear opinion from anything in this video when they are barely even breathing on each other and going half speed. They don't even fully contest shots most of the time. If you're going to work out with a vet to get ready for the NBA, get your money and time worth and immerse yourself in the full experience. I would've liked to see him try to dominate Steven Adams offensively and defensively and try to make a statement.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

1 on 1 practices like these are practically meaningless.

Steven Adams has never done a fadeaway jumpshot in his career but he is hitting them with ease in practice. Chuck Hayes was doing step back jumpshots and fancy layups in practice too against Yao.

If this was a proper NBA game, Adams wouldn't be doing fadeaway shots, he would just back Mobley all the way down and dunk on him every time. He could have done the exact same thing in this 1v1 practice but that defeats the purpose of the practice.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Y'all too quick to criticize, imo.

Lanky dude who just turned 20, 2 months ago, who hasn't begun to really do NBA workouts, getting pushed around by one of the strongest (if not the strongest) people in the entire NBA? That's expected. Did you guys think Mobley was going to completely crap on Adams, immediately? Come on.

D-rock, amaru and YOLO like this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I expected more of a fight from a guy who is touted to be a generational player by some. Also, I take a little satisfaction watching him get eaten alive due to his scorn for Houston and the way he treated our franchise during the draft process. I dont think he will bust, but could care less if he does - we drafted the right one.

RedIsen likes this.
  15. amaru

amaru Member

This is the real reason here. People want Mobley to get his comeuppance for whatever reason.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"For whatever reason" --- Did you forget already that Mr Mobley Sr thought that Houston was not a good place for his baby boy? Not even the courtesy to answer the call for a workout and played the high horse?

All rookies pay dues - some more than others and no doubt why Adams seemed to relish in busting that kids ass like he did.

JG will be attacked too this, year all the time, I can only hope he will offer more resistance.

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Tell your friend to meet me in Temecula.

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Tfor3 likes this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I mean Mobley is doing what he needs to be doing - player a bigger, stronger player. That being said - there isn't too much intensity here so what's the point? I guess to show Mobley that he has zero chance of moving NBA style bigs and give him the chance to figure out how he can score on this level while he is waiting for his body to fill in.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I told my friend, trust the "Process"

Everyone we draft moves on or gets peddled for less.....just like in Philadelphia

Tfor3 likes this.