1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afghanistan 2021

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jun 25, 2021.

1. AB

AB Contributing Member

I saw this event live on TV. As all the caskets were brought out of the military plane and walked iinto the Vans on tarmack. The picture of biden was during that time.
    I haven't see the other picture of family grieving on tarmack. That has to be at different time and place

I am very positive these two events are not connected. Why do we let ourselves fall for these kind of things

2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, this was a difficult problem. We should have, I think, made much better determination of their willingness to fight. We could have kept more of it under our control, though. But, this would have required more troops.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Maybe my meaning wasn't clear. The number of people they were able to extract reduced significantly after the terrorist attack. It was directly connected to the terrorism threat. That threat wasn't going away if the US decided to stick around -- the threat would have gone up. That's why I said that -- it wouldn't have been more safe compared to what it was the last few days.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The Taliban can run up and down the empty runways.

5. TheresTheDagger

What about family of our recently killed troops?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...85ed78-08ca-11ec-aea1-42a8138f132a_story.html

Jiennah McCollum met with Biden, but was disappointed by Biden’s words to her, finding them “scripted and shallow” according to one of McCollum’s sisters Roice.

6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Wrong. Taliban is at the airport. Everybody else left.

I'll accept that the Taliban is the Afghan government if you'll accept that they are who we have been fighting for the past 20 years, are known to be very barbaric, have little concern at all for foreign opinion, have plenty of other sources of money (including selling all the equipment we gave them), and have already been denying people access to the airport, even before we left.

as for the money, I'm curious...what do you think they need the money for? All those infrastructure projects they are so famous for undertaking???

7. astros123

astros123 Member

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/afghanistan-turkey-taliban-close-deal-kabul-airport

Do you do any research or do you just believe everything you're told like a puppet?

8. durvasa

I don't blame you for being cynical about all this. I'm really hoping we have some leverage we can use to bring out people safely and also to help the women live a better life.

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Al Queda was never a threat to invade the homeland, and yet...

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I know you aren't a military expert, nor am I. However, we can be on a discussion forum and discuss this like reasonable people and at least attempt to think of someway that this could have been remediated.

I'm curious, could you easily think of a way that you would have handled this if you were a decisionmaker on something like this. It's easy for us to sit here and point fingers at whoever we think is responsible, but, the reality is that our country attempted to build another country. We instilled a democratic government, we trained their military, we provided them equipment, and we also provided them intelligence, along a bunch of other stuff. Is your suggestion that we should of stripped the Afghani military of all this equipment starting since the deal was made? Many sit here and claim how weak this army is and how quickly they gave up everything. Are you suggesting that we should of started confiscating these weapons and equipment about 3 months ago? Or maybe you believe we should of bombed all the areas where we knew our equipment was, which would of likely meant bombing Taliban and thus pissing them off and having them not cooperate with us regarding our withdrawal.

What was a good moment to remove this equipment/weapons @ROXRAN ?

I don't think this administration is free of criticism, but considering that the Trump administration chose to exclude the Afghani government from agreement talks, maybe they should have been stripping the Afghani military from these weapons since the agreement was made. Or maybe, just maybe, we should have never attempted to build a nation with a democratic government. We should of gone, accomplished our objective, and get the hell out.

I think the Biden administration deserves a hell of a lot of credit for sticking to their word of withdrawing. I hate that Americans were left behind (I know if it was my loved one, my opinion more than likely would differ), but when is any process perfect? I'm not happy at the poor planning, but complaining about weapons/equipment is the last thing that's on my mind. I personally can't think of a way where we allow the Afghani army to fight, but yet we decide to strip them of everything before hand. I can't say I'm outraged, I mean WTF did we expect to happen. It's one of those consequences of us failing to properly build a nation, a byproduct. It sucks, I don't like it, but to be so outraged at this administration over that is stupid. Maybe Pompeo/Trump should have negotiated US Military weapons/equipment (if they capture country) in return for releasing 5,000 prisoners, rather than getting jack **** in return for that (besides promising not to shoot at us during withdrawal).

DaDakota, Amiga and durvasa like this.
  11. TheresTheDagger

https://www.dailysabah.com/politics...rantee-security-of-kabul-airport-spokesperson

Maybe. Maybe not. (This is from today...your article is from the 28th). Either way, they certainly AREN'T security at the airport now as you claim.

12. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Why do people still defend Biden? Jesus this guy is a f****** idiot. Incoming liberals saying but but Trump in 3 2 1

13. astros123

astros123 Member

https://www.dailysabah.com/politics...rantee-security-of-kabul-airport-spokesperson
    Yes there's different sectors of the airport but the turds are providing the surface to air missle defense systems usa sells them through nato. This will keep missles and other objects from hitting the runway or airport. It's like what Israel has with the iron dom. Taliban are in control of airport but Turkey is doing the dirty work.

Taliban want legitimacy and want to govern. I don't have any doubt of us of us pulling our citizens safely. They are at safe houses and will get them out

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Washington Post Editorial Board:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...onsibility-afghan-friends-left-behind-is-not/

Opinion: America is leaving thousands of people behind in Afghanistan. This is a moral disaster.

Opinion by the
    Editorial Board
    Today at 5:56 p.m. EDT

Enormous as it is, the number of people evacuated by air from Kabul since the end of July — about 122,000 — is not large enough. Thankfully, many thousands of American citizens, third-country nationals and Afghans who worked directly for U.S. and allied military forces or embassies made it out. But many thousands of people did not, including former U.S. interpreters and their families, and Afghans classified by President Biden and his administration as “vulnerable” — such as staff for U.S.-based nongovernmental organizations and women’s rights activists. As security worsened in the wake of a horrific terrorist attack at the airport last Thursday, and as U.S. troops prepared for their own departure on Monday, time and space ran out for these people. This is a moral disaster, one attributable not to the actions of military and diplomatic personnel in Kabul — who have been courageous and professional, in the face of deadly dangers — but to mistakes, strategic and tactical, by Mr. Biden and his administration.

Those left behind appear to include many local journalists who worked for U.S.-supported media such as the Afghan service of RFE/RL. Painfully emblematic, too, is the experience of the American University of Afghanistan, all but a few of whose roughly 4,000 students, faculty, alumni and employees remain in Kabul. AUAF was the signature U.S.-funded civilian institution in Kabul. The school symbolized not just the U.S.-Afghan relationship, but modernity itself. Therefore, it came under repeated and deadly attack from the Taliban, yet brave and determined women and men continued to teach and study there — until Kabul fell and the Taliban raised its flag over the campus. A last-ditch attempt to bus several hundred members of the university community to the airport ended in frustration Sunday, when it became clear that civilian rescue flights were ending. Now, university officials tell us, these — mostly young — Afghans are back in Kabul, feeling abandoned and afraid.

The Biden administration says they will not be forgotten. Plans already are being developed, officials say, for continued efforts to extract people. Nearly 100 nations, including the United States, issued a statement promising that their “citizens, nationals and residents, employees, Afghans who have worked with us and those who are at risk” will be able “to travel freely” outside Afghanistan, and that they “have received assurances from the Taliban” that this will be allowed.

Any “assurances” by the Taliban clash with statements their spokesmen made during the crisis that the United States was wrongly inducing Afghans to leave — not to mention the group’s record of murdering perceived enemies. Moreover, two permanent members of the U.N. Security Council that still have embassies in Kabul — Russia and China — conspicuously did not sign the U.S.-backed international statement. Their support would be needed to carry out one promising idea: French President Emmanuel Macron’s proposal for a U.N.-designated “safe zone” in Kabul from which to organize evacuations after Tuesday.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Sunday that the United States still has “significant leverage” over the Taliban. If so, the Biden administration must use it, relentlessly, until every Afghan with a legitimate claim to refuge has found it.

blue_eyed_devil and durvasa like this.
  15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Farewell Kabul.

16. durvasa

A little strange that the most striking sentence in the editorial, quoted in the title, is left without further elaboration on what those strategic and tactical mistakes were and what should have been done instead.

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Thankfully I am a moderate like you.

DaDakota likes this.
  18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If there are 100 Americans left to be evacuated, that's less than one jumbo jet? How do you not get them out assuming they wanted out?

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yes the evangelicals are America's Taliban.

DD

Ubiquitin likes this.