1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Wk 3] Buccaneers at Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 28, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

And he goes to Jerry Falwell Bible College so you know Easterby is all for it.

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I see the potential in Mills, but he’s so far away from being ready it’s not even funny. It could happen for him, but right now he needs almost non-stop reps and work somewhere to make up for his lack of college game experience. If Taylor goes down, this team has no chance of beating anyone with their current backup QB’s. I expect them to make a move to pick up another QB sometime this week. I like Mills as a third stringer developmental project, but Houston needs another backup arm desperately because the combo of Driskel and Mills is frightening. Not that it really matters that much anyway...

HTXSportsAddict and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Just based off pre season which I always take with a grain of salt the defense looks improved but how much I have no idea. The offense looks to be beyond bad which is one reason I have no idea why they brought Tim Kelly back as OC he is just a more likeable BOB. I can see the defense playing better for maybe 1/2 of most games but they will get wore down eventually because the offense is so terrible.

Fulgore and conquistador#11 like this.
  4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

In fairness to Tim Kelly he basically has hot garbage at the qb position to work with.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Probably because they thought it would make Watson want to stay.

6. ballgame

ballgame Member

You SEE potential in Mills?? You must have some VERY, VERY good eyesight.....cause I can't see that and I'm 20/20

#106 ballgame, Aug 29, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Fulgore and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, it’s buried pretty deep down admittedly. I’m not super optimistic, but it’s too soon to give up. He’s too slow on his reads, that may or may not come with time. His touch looked bad. I mean, it was a **** performance, but he made a couple nice throws too. He looks like a developmental project that, in hindsight, we probably reached a little for in the third round. He can’t be your primary backup right now, that much is certain, but I don’t mind him as a project. At this point he’s clearly overwhelmed.

HTXSportsAddict and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Mills lack of playing experience is a huge red flag plus the fact he was a 3rd round pick by the Texans pretty much makes it a dead pipe lock he will be a bust. I also think he would have gotten better coaching staying another year at Stanford than he will from Tim Kelly.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Davis doesnt look that great so far, but it would be premature to throw him out after just a few games. I really would have hoped to see him flash more especially after coming out of a pro style offense at Stanford. Still feels like the game is too fast for him. "Game Manager" might be the best thing he becomes if he continues to check down and not stress a defense, and the sad part will be that the Texans may pass up on better talent convincing themselves that Davis might be the guy.

Im all for giving him developmental time NOW to see if that holds true and feel playing Tyrod is just spinning wheels to an extent since he more than likely wont be here after this year. So it will be the 2023 draft where the Texans could be looking at drafting another QB after giving Mills full time duties next year and whatever garbage time they see fit to throw him this year.

Felt the same exact way with Tom Savage and Watson situation. If you draft a young guy - throw him out there and dont do it reactively.

Yay! Another QB carousel! Who didnt love the last one? ---------> /s

10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Mill's is a project for sure, you see glimpses but has a long way to go, hey if he turns into a decent backup in 2 years so be it. As far as the game, TB12 was TB12, our defense looked ok once he was out of the game (thought he was playing the entire half)

What I don't want to see happen is we are good enough to win 4-5 games and knock ourselves out of contention for the first pick in the draft.....its a rebuild year so rebuild

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Ain't a chance in hell that's happening unless every team from week 13 on back ,sits their 1st and 2nd string...

ROCKSS likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

This team is going to be epic-level sh!tty I'm assuming. They just don't have the talent.

Inept offense will wear out whatever defensive mojo they get going. Or vice-versa. Every game.