1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jake Meyers appears to be the real deal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

You don’t know what you are talking about. Meyers is excellent at reading the ball off the bat and takes excellent first steps.

2. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

what are you basing the OF stuff on?

3. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

I have no doubts that Meyers will be an excellent fielding centerfielder. But, based off his range factor coupled with his out of zone plays, it does appear that there may be something to his comment. Of course making any conclusions with this sample size is asking for trouble. What are you basing your comment on?

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

19 games

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm not saying he's not already good. Just that he could be better and perhaps elite of the elite with his tools.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

At this point, his track record over several years in the minors and the opinions of evaluators both inside and outside the organization hold FAR more meaning than 19 games in his first stint in the majors and first games in MMP. As you said, drawing conclusions from that sample size is very foolish.

raining threes and Bregatron like this.
  7. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

That's it? Can you point to any statistic whatsoever that says he showed an excellent first step in his several years in the minors. Yes, evaluators have been positive about his defense, but the two are not mutually exclusive. Initial indicators seem to support his comment, which is more than you have done. But with any small sample, things can change quickly. By the way, I did not say "very foolish", now did I? What is foolish is making some unsupported comment. I have not seen anyone say Meyers is a bad fielder, but you specifically said "Meyers is excellent at reading the ball off the bat and takes excellent first steps." I think it is legitimate to expect you to support your comment with something other than because I said so.

Marshall Bryant and Kemahkeith like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I was responding to Marshall Bryant’s “unsupported comment”: “Jake's faster, but needs first step route instinct in the OF.” My comment was based off of years of following the Astros system and reading almost everything there is to read about almost every player in the system including Meyers (and to a much lesser degree, seeing Meyers play defense with my own eyes). He has consistently been labeled the best defensive OF in Houston’s system for multiple years; professional evaluators would not be saying that if he wasn’t “excellent at reading the ball off the bat and takes excellent first steps.” You can go do the google legwork yourself if you need proof.

#188 Snake Diggit, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Please point me to the statistic that shows Byron Buxton has (or doesn't have) an excellent first step to the ball.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Jake’s glove work overall is nice in CF. He hasn’t been as good for the Astros in the field as he was in AAA. My guess is hr has been focusing so much on the bat, that the glove hasn’t been a priority. That will change in time. I can tell you that the organization thinks highly of his glove.

11. raining threes

I trust Goldstein's evals more than Marshal's

Snake Diggit and Nook like this.
  12. vince

vince Member

Jake is definitely not intimidated by the big league pitchers or atmosphere. He is fitting in very nicely….. I’m impressed.

I had brushed him off as just another guy with potential for being a 4th or 5th OF in the ML’s. I had been waiting for Leon to fill in for Springer. I was just happy we had a place holder in Straw, while Leon did his minor league stint.

But Meyers has got me questioning the National pundits talent evaluation process.

Valdez, García, Javier, McCormick, Myers were not on any top 100 lists as far I can remember. And here they are, being top tier contributors to the club.

Meyers has looked quite capable in the OF. If he can get to the baseball, he’s gonna snatch it. And then I read, he’s got even more defensive prowess than he’s shown at this level!

I’d seen enough of McCormick to want to see more at bats. At the same time Straw was turning up a notch.

Talk about a glut of OF talent when we thought that Springers exit was going to leave the Astros with a huge hole in the lineup.

I’m glad to hear the Astros are super excited about Leon’s performance at SS, because if Correa leaves, Myers and McCormick can keep getting major AB’s at CF and as a 4th OF.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Are the Astros super excited about Leon’s performance at SS? I haven’t seen that. I’ve seen criticism of his defense by posters on here, but don’t recall comments attributed to Astro staff.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Stud outfielder.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

After that catch, I'm sold!!! We need to sign Correa because Alvarez, Tucker and Meyers extended our window by a few years

vince and H-Town Info like this.
  16. HeyBudLetsParty

I didn’t understand what they were talking about when they called him high strung until I saw him pop up and try to throw out that runner after he crashed full speed into the wall. This man is an absolute nut job

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The emergence of Meyers and Luis Garcia was huge for Houston this season. Future is very bright for the Astros, almost as bright as the present.

18. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

MLB the Show 21 needs to update his overall rating.

He's still at 59 with "D" potential...

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

LOL that didn’t take long. Notice the camera switches to the OF very quickly after the ball is hit and Meyers is already on the way to where the ball will be. In a park he is almost completely unfamiliar with, he’s recognized the path of the ball immediately, reacted almost instantly, and taken an extremely efficient route at a very high speed. Then he makes the catch on the run very close to the wall. Almost unnoticeable is the relatively meaningless throw he makes afterward which makes it to his target without a bounce after he barely threw. The dude is a total defensive stud.

astros123, cmlmel77, vince and 3 others like this.
  20. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Read my comments, I already did. If you are too stupid to understand, that is not my problem