1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] 2021 free agency news thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Aug 1, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

perhaps they trying to tank again? wasnt that what everybody recommends these days

ApacheWarrior and jch1911 like this.
  2. DonatelloLimestone

lol, ill tell you what...i doubt any chicago fans are worried and fragile that the owner of the bulls spent too much this year.
    Thats only about four/five of you who can't even accept that even though when they are tilman only fans, he himself has said they need to change and suck....imagine defending an owners pockets more than he is over trying to put the best team on the court. You're a gem brotha, landrys4life?

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Cleveland is a reminder how good Fertita is. Their owner doesnt mind spending, but because he keeps hiring dumbasses in the FO Cleveland Cavs will always be a joke.

Fertita always gets a lot of crap, but hiring Stone is the most critical decision the Rox had so far and he nailed it. Could just have easily imported one of his guys from Landry's or even signed a big name like Jason Kidd or whoever just to drum up interest.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe they dont like how Mobley turned out thats why they trying to replace him.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Markkanen actually complements Mobley if Cavs want to play Mobley at 5.

Mobley with JA forces Mobley to play on perimeter.

This move gives Cavs more flexibility to build around Mobley.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Nice try, but no. When tanking involves giving big money to Jarrett Allen and Markannen while drafting Mobley let me know.

luckyman76 and D-rock like this.
  7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think the Cavs might just get the worst of both worlds- they spend a lot of money on a modestly talented young players, struggle to make 9th, or 8th seed and impede the growth of their franchise player. They look like they have an odd roster.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think their GM is all that great.

They have drafted “okay” under him but he extended Love which raised some eyebrows. So he lost out on the value of trading Love when LBJ left AND he straddled his organization with a massive contract that they haven’t been able to move. The GM has made some off coaching hires, has over paid in free agency/extensions and a lot of his trades have been mediocre.

I wouldn’t say their GM is incompetent, just not good enough to move the needle.

9. Jalen Green OnlyFan

You are delusional and frankly… idiotic if you don’t think undesirable markers are at a huge disadvantage in the NBA.

Lakers were terribly run and got bailed out by being a desirable market for Lebrun and AD.

Lakers overpaid luol deng, drafted lonzo over Tatum, and plenty more mistakes.

RHU525 likes this.
  10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Mark’n will have to play some out of position at the 3. Tough way to close games. Nance better fit there and might just be a perfectly complementary piece in Roses.

Love but-out? To LaLa. Or Dubs. Or Rose Gsrden???

D-rock likes this.
  11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

he didn't hire stone. Stone has been apart of the organization long before Tillman.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t discuss basketball with alt accounts

13. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Then let’s hear it

Kawhi left two well run organizations in undesirable markets to lose in So-Cal

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t take alt accounts seriously. Log into your main account when quoting me.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

TF did ‘hire’ Stone as he did move/promote him. Some, me for certain, were holding our breaths for fear of whom might get the slot.

Plowman likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah but that's a fixable problem. When the Cavs won the title and were defending it, the owner spent a ton of money. Any consultant would have told him that even with a title it would be extremely difficult to recoup the money he's spending. He spent it, challenging the top spenders in the league from a small market.

Yes it would be nice if they were more careful with spending in bad years, but do we really care? It's their money. As long as the owner spends during a contention window, then you just need a top 10 GM to be up there contending. Cavs will be fine, though they are on the brink of eroding too much of their assets. New GM is needed before the next couple of decisions, they could be really important decisions (Love, Sexton, Garland).

Nook likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

He hired him as GM. You know how many people has been a part of this org long before Tillman? Just an example the assistant GM in 2020 was Monte McNair who went to the Kings. Tillman could have hired Mcnair as GM instead of Stone. Just give credit where credit is due.

The most critical element to being a good owner isnt spending, its hiring the right GM. Owners like Dolan and the Cavs owner have no issues spending, but their team's performance is always worse than the tightwad Rockets cuz their owners keep hiring the wrong guys.

#717 roslolian, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    DeBeards likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah its not a fixable problem at this point I dunno how Dan Gilbert selects his GM but clearly he keeps appointing wrong people for the job. Cavs have wasted the most amount of picks I've seen in recent history the only time they achieved anything was when Lebron was to carry their sad sack team.

19. dmoneybangbang

Seems like they were hoping to buyout Love, but maybe didn't get all their ducks lined up. Minus Love, I like their frontcourt as it complements each other. Lauri at 4/$67 is a decent gamble.

Portland seems to be getting pieces in place for something at the deadline but I like the Nance move.

20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Philly. Basically only Embidd and Simmons have panned out and Simmons is about to be traded away after becoming a disappointment so that’ll leave only Embidd.

they’ve had so many lottery’s bust in the last decade. Turner, MCW, Noel, Fultz, etc